GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Cam swap help

Search this Thread

Old 10/15/12, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cam swap help

I'm going to be helping a friend of mine do a cam swap on his 07 GT. I've done several LS1s and SBCs but never a modular. From what I've read the only confusion I have is with the roller followers. Which basically looks to me like a rocker arm. On the how to I've been reading it says I need the valve spring compressor to get the roller follower out and it says as the valve spring is being compressed make sure the valve is going down with it. Well if the valve goes down doesn't that mean its going into the cylinder? or is it that the piston is up on those cylinders holding it up and giving just enough space for the follower to become free?
Old 10/15/12, 12:53 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by VandykeT/A
I'm going to be helping a friend of mine do a cam swap on his 07 GT. I've done several LS1s and SBCs but never a modular. From what I've read the only confusion I have is with the roller followers. Which basically looks to me like a rocker arm. On the how to I've been reading it says I need the valve spring compressor to get the roller follower out and it says as the valve spring is being compressed make sure the valve is going down with it. Well if the valve goes down doesn't that mean its going into the cylinder? or is it that the piston is up on those cylinders holding it up and giving just enough space for the follower to become free?
I haven't done it on the 3V so I'm assuming here based on previous DOHC's. As you compress the spring perhaps the valve stem can hang a bit. And if you compress the spring so much with the valve stem not following, the valve stem spilt keeps could come loose - which then could allow the valve stem to fall into the cylinder. - which would be bad. So by making sure the valve stem follows the spring being compressed, the keeps stay in place so the valve doesn't drop out of the spring.

Also, saw this for sale today. Might help.

https://themustangsource.com/f722/we...3/#post6461914

Good luck!

Last edited by cdynaco; 10/15/12 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10/15/12, 12:54 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is a safety thing to keep the retainers from popping out. If you have the right shoe on the spring compressor they can't come out. One is for spring removal and the other is just to compress them.