GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

CAI's that don't require a tune.

Search this Thread

Old 8/21/06, 01:48 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CAI's that don't require a tune.

Wife wants a CAI for her GTCS, but no tune. I am choosing not to get the warranty delete option.

I know KN has one, is there others?
Old 8/21/06, 01:58 PM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Check out MRT.
Old 8/21/06, 02:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

http://www.sbfilters.com/product_display.php?id=130

I've got this one in mine.
Old 8/21/06, 04:47 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Airaid is another that doesn't require a tune. Plus it looks rather nice under the hood. Check my pics below.
Attached Thumbnails CAI's that don't require a tune.-amblershow06.jpg   CAI's that don't require a tune.-amblercarshow.jpg  
Old 8/21/06, 04:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by traffic142
Wife wants a CAI for her GTCS, but no tune. I am choosing not to get the warranty delete option.

I know KN has one, is there others?
You won't get the performance gains with a regular CAI unless you get a tuner to go with it. The only exception to this so far is the GMS CAI, as it has its own precalibrated MAS to go with it. So in my opinion, if you want the horsepower gains without having to get a tuner, then the GMS is the only choice.

Edit: So people won't be so literal, yes you will gain some power with just a CAI. However, in order to get substantial gains, then you either need a CAI with a tune, or a GMS CAI. Easier to understand?
Old 8/21/06, 05:08 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
MRT is nice

And that previous statement about not getting any gains without a tune is bull...

They are engineered to flow more air with the same volume...compared to the tuned ones which allow more volume and flow...

The MRT gains a decent ammount for a CAI that requires no tune.
Old 8/21/06, 06:00 PM
Bullitt Member

I have the AEM Brute Force and love it.
Old 8/21/06, 06:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok I am confused! I thought you can get any CAI and not tune it and it wouldn t void warrenty.
Old 8/21/06, 06:40 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Rapture
Ok I am confused! I thought you can get any CAI and not tune it and it wouldn t void warrenty.
Most CAI's need a tune since they flow more air and would cause it to lean out too much. K & N gets more flow, but not too much to cause a lean condition.

You get more HP from CAI's that need a tune (JLT, C & L, Steeda) to name a few.

But that requires a hand held tuner at 400 a pop. If you plan on doing a lot of modding (gears, headers, etc) go all the way on the CAI and get a tuner (Bama Chips is excellent for tunes).
Old 8/21/06, 06:52 PM
Bullitt Member

The Granatelli CAI does not require a tune, as they have partnered with Hitachi and adjusted the Mass Air Flow sensor to compensate for the extra flow of their 90mm intake. Hitachi makes the factory Mass Air Flow Sensor. The Granatelli can still be tuned to make even more power, but with just the CAI, several members have made 25 additional horsepower. Attached is a pic of it installed on my 2007 Convertible.
Attached Thumbnails CAI's that don't require a tune.-mustang-photos-004-small-.jpg  
Old 8/21/06, 07:09 PM
Bullitt Member

And my 2005 Coupe
Attached Thumbnails CAI's that don't require a tune.-8-11-2006-2-153.jpg   CAI's that don't require a tune.-8-11-2006-2-156.jpg  
Old 8/21/06, 08:03 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by traffic142
Most CAI's need a tune since they flow more air and would cause it to lean out too much. K & N gets more flow, but not too much to cause a lean condition.
I think you'll find that all CAI that have the MAF tube diameter larger than stock either need a tune or another solution such as a calibrated sensor. Mosty of the 'larger than stock diameter' CAI's state that a tune is needed in their literature. You will notice that CAI's that claim no tune needed almost always have the MAF tube diameter the same as stock. If you go with a larger diameter CAI tube, do not use a new calibrated sensor for that size tube, or do not have a tune to adjust for differences then you will either run lean, throw some check codes or both.
The ones that claim no tune needed still deliver more air with the hi-flow filters and you can feel a little more horsepower along with improved throttle sensitivity. All of the above is what I surmise after a lot of reading on this and other forums...but if I'm off on this anybody feel free to correct me.

I got the Airaid and it claims no tune needed. (using their included MVT tube means the MAF diameter is same as stock). I can feel the difference. But 2 weeks after getting it I decided I wanted the tuner so I have one on the way from Doug at BamaChips.
Can't wait to see what it feels like!
Old 8/21/06, 08:14 PM
Cobra Member

If your trying not to void your warranty, your in the same boat as me. But in another post I was told that if you get a CAI and tune and you need to service your car, you can tune the car back to stock and it shows the same code in the computer as if you were to have had a dead battery.

And I guess if you want to be extra careful you could put the stock tube back on too....

I'll just be tuning the car back to stock... tricky tricky!
Old 8/21/06, 08:20 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by WuTimeUT
And I guess if you want to be extra careful you could put the stock tube back on too....
I'll just be tuning the car back to stock... tricky tricky!
It depends on your dealer, but I think you should not only put the tune back to stock but you should also put the stock tube and air filter back on too. Don't give them any reason to suspect anything.

btw...I asked my dealer how they felt about a CAI (no tune...just CAI) and they said absolutely not. If something went wrong they might try to blame it on that and then you would have to fight it. So why give them a reason to suspect. Put it back to stock unless you know for sure they will not hassle you about it when it comes to warranty work.
Old 8/21/06, 08:51 PM
Cobra Member

Exactly, I just got the info about retuning it to stock, I can' believe I've waited so long to do the CAI Tune Combo!
Old 8/22/06, 10:33 AM
Cobra R Member

I have heard that if they download the box it will show a tune being there...ie if you blow the motor they WILL download the black box to see what you monkey'd with.
Old 8/22/06, 03:13 PM
Cobra Member

Thats what I thought too... check out my other post

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=51861
Old 8/22/06, 04:08 PM
Cobra Member

Look what I found guys:’05-’07 Mustang GT Parts and Accessories at RPM OUTLET.com - Free Shipping! New performance packs!!!
Old 8/22/06, 07:32 PM
Cobra Member

Those are some sweet prices
Old 8/24/06, 10:59 AM
Bullitt Member

I put the Western Motorsports intake on my for just that reason I didnt want to void my warrenty , and I works awesome I have had no trouble at all

Quick Reply: CAI's that don't require a tune.