GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

CAIs

Search this Thread

Old 5/8/05, 10:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was looking at the K & N website. They recommended leaving the hydrocarbon trap in. They said poor performance and/or engine damage could result. Is this the engine running lean? If that's the case, a tune would fix it. Aslo, the power didn't come until over 4000 rpm. Looks like 3-4 rwhp until 4500 rpm. They finally got 15rwhp at 6000 rpm. K & N has made filters and intakes forever. How are the other CAI making 20+ all over the place?
Old 5/8/05, 11:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Hey Greg welcome to the forum. There are many CAI's this site covers. Try doing a search on CAIs and a lot of information will come up.

I personally have the JLT CAI and the DTP Predator tune. I love this combo. I think people are seeing the highest numbers with the JLT but I can't confirm since I have not been through a dyno test.

Good Luck Greg-

Cheers_Jay

JLT's Website
Old 5/9/05, 12:03 AM
AJC
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 1trickpony@May 8, 2005, 9:12 AM
I was looking at the K & N website. They recommended leaving the hydrocarbon trap in. They said poor performance and/or engine damage could result. Is this the engine running lean? If that's the case, a tune would fix it. Aslo, the power didn't come until over 4000 rpm. Looks like 3-4 rwhp until 4500 rpm. They finally got 15rwhp at 6000 rpm. K & N has made filters and intakes forever. How are the other CAI making 20+ all over the place?

Where does it talk about the hydrocarbon trap and removing it causing possible problems?

Please post a link to this - Thanks!
Old 5/9/05, 01:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by AJC+May 9, 2005, 3:06 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AJC @ May 9, 2005, 3:06 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-1trickpony@May 8, 2005, 9:12 AM

Where does it talk about the hydrocarbon trap and removing it causing possible problems?

Please post a link to this - Thanks!
[/b][/quote]

I feel a little stupid. An old thread popped up on this subject. Here's the link.

http://www.kandn.com/instructions/63-2565.pdf

You'll see the remark in step 22. I understand the trap is a restriction. How much is a subject of debate. I don't care about 5 hp if it fries the motor. I don't think this will happen, but deserved some research.
Old 5/9/05, 01:33 PM
AJC
Mach 1 Member

I wonder if its due to their set up and not just from removing the trap? Thats the way it came across to me...

NOTE: This intake system is designed
to use the factory Hydrocarbon trap,
Failure to use the Hydrocarbon trap
will result in poor performance and
possible engine damage may result.
Old 5/9/05, 10:21 PM
V6 Member

Get the JLT, you wont regret it.
Old 5/10/05, 04:49 AM
Cobra Member

I agree, you will not regret the JLT setup. The price / performance is great.

-Bryan
Old 5/10/05, 08:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by AJC@May 10, 2005, 4:36 AM
I wonder if its due to their set up and not just from removing the trap? Thats the way it came across to me...

NOTE: This intake system is designed
to use the factory Hydrocarbon trap,
Failure to use the Hydrocarbon trap
will result in poor performance and
possible engine damage may result.
I'm with you, but that brings up another question. If the K & N was designed for the trap, the original system was. I bet one of the first mods is HC trap removal. Can this screw something up?
Old 5/10/05, 03:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm not looking to void my warranty, is the K&N the only Intake that doesn't suggest a tune?
Old 5/11/05, 10:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Where can the JLT be purchased? Does it require a tune? Having trouble locating it on the Web.
Old 5/12/05, 06:58 AM
Cobra Member

http://jlttruecoldair.com/

Call Jay of JLT at 757-335-1940.

if you want the benefit form the CAI, will need a tune. If you dont want to get a tune, buy the MMR for about 8rwhp. BTW, I have my MMR for sale since I went to the JLT.

-Bryan
Old 5/12/05, 07:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Satin Silver 05@May 10, 2005, 12:24 AM
Get the JLT, you wont regret it.
Since you used DTP, I guess you are from the Tidewater area? How was the experience with DTP? The cost is what, $75.00 for 3 pulls and andother $75.00 for the tune? I spoke to Tucker about the JLT and he also suggests using DTP. Any thoughts on the subject?
Old 5/12/05, 07:41 AM
Bullitt Member

Form everything I have seen and read, the majority of the hp improvements from the CAI's comes from the tune and removing the carbon trap. This alone is usually good for 20-27hp depending on how good the tune is.

I personally watched an 05 on the dyno gain 27hp with nothing but a tune and removing the carbon trap. This was done in about an hour with three pulls...

The CAI's seem to add about 5-10hp on top of the above combo depending on how well the tune supplied with the CAI matches it's air flow. This usually puts the total gains with a quality tune and CAI around 25-30hp.

You will hear people claiming that their CAI makes 20hp over a tune alone, but that is usually done without removing the Carbon trap and re-tuning the car to take advantage of the less restrictive stock intake with the trap removed. As a result, many of the increass claimed by the CAI manufactures is a little exaguarated...

The JTL CAI does seem to make the most people happy however.... That in itself seems to be a good endorsment....
Old 5/12/05, 01:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm sure this is the wrong thread but, everyone seems knowledgable and nice. Can a novice use one of the tuners? I have an average mechanical ability but, never messed with anything like that. Can a tune be obtained at a shop or do you need to purchase the tuner? I guessing purchase since it may need to be re-tuned as more mods as added.
Old 5/12/05, 01:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Eleanor Dreaming@May 12, 2005, 3:13 PM
I'm sure this is the wrong thread but, everyone seems knowledgable and nice. Can a novice use one of the tuners? I have an average mechanical ability but, never messed with anything like that. Can a tune be obtained at a shop or do you need to purchase the tuner? I guessing purchase since it may need to be re-tuned as more mods as added.

When you purchase the tuner, it can be preloaded with a few canned tunes. These should work just fine for most of the people out there. But, depending on what else is done to the car... for instance... If you plan on buying a CAI then you can request or download the required tune before installing the CAI. Diablo has some on their site for the most popular commercial units, others such as the JLT (Jay's Unit) and by unit I mean his CAI folks... He will ask you to download and email a copy of your factory backup tune that he will odify for you to install. The unti is easy to work with and the changes can be backed out at anytime. Just browse through the forum and you will find plenty of help and assistance from the members here.

If you are into perfection and geting the most out of your car then going to a local tuner with a Dyno would be the rout to go. Most are charging reasonable rates to custom tune your car and get it to where it needs to be... Good Luck
Old 5/12/05, 01:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by nbk13nw+May 12, 2005, 2:22 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nbk13nw @ May 12, 2005, 2:22 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Eleanor Dreaming@May 12, 2005, 3:13 PM

When you purchase the tuner, it can be preloaded with a few canned tunes. These should work just fine for most of the people out there. But, depending on what else is done to the car... for instance... If you plan on buying a CAI then you can request or download the required tune before installing the CAI. Diablo has some on their site for the most popular commercial units, others such as the JLT (Jay's Unit) and by unit I mean his CAI folks... He will ask you to download and email a copy of your factory backup tune that he will odify for you to install. The unti is easy to work with and the changes can be backed out at anytime. Just browse through the forum and you will find plenty of help and assistance from the members here.

If you are into perfection and geting the most out of your car then going to a local tuner with a Dyno would be the rout to go. Most are charging reasonable rates to custom tune your car and get it to where it needs to be... Good Luck
[/b][/quote]

Thanks alot, I'm not into perfection not looking to race, just want to play with the upgrades to make it better on my own. Once again thanks alot for your input.

I was going to put alot of $ into exterior mod and a friend that owns a body shop advised againest it. So I am going with the go portion now, instead of all show. I know beforw someone says it a stock GT isn't just all show.
Old 5/12/05, 02:22 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by nbk13nw@May 12, 2005, 8:35 AM
Since you used DTP, I guess you are from the Tidewater area? How was the experience with DTP? The cost is what, $75.00 for 3 pulls and andother $75.00 for the tune? I spoke to Tucker about the JLT and he also suggests using DTP. Any thoughts on the subject?

No, (I wish) I am from the panhandle. I just used the canned tune on the CD Jay sent me. I wish I were near enough to go get DTP to fine tune it. I'm saving up for 4.10s and SLPs, then I will make the drive to a dyno.
When I loaded the premium tune I had a little valve clatter. I had been running premium for the last 2 tanks in anticipation of getting my JLT. I took 2 degrees of timing out. no more pinging. I had always used Amoco gas (from the days of 103 "white gas"(ya, it was a long time ago)) until now. I guess they let thier standards slip. I changed to shell and started getting better gas milage (2mpg) glad to see it these days. The car seamed to run better so I put 1 degree of timing back in. all was well. so I added 1 more. still all is well. just to be safe until I get her on the dyno, I mixed in +1 to idle and mid A/F, and 2 to WOT. Tipps are buring a little black but better safe than sorry.
For everyone who does not have this intake, its easy to install, SCT xcallibrator is simple to use and the sound alone is worth the $. It sounds like a 750 Holley on a big block when you tip in the throttle. It also looks great, everone is impressed when you pop the hood. For now I only have seat of the pants feel and I say I got the claimed HP (29-39 for CAI and Tune) It ROCKS!
JMHO
Steve