GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

CAI Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 6/29/05, 08:13 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm having trouble deciding on what CAI to get. The choice right now is between JLT and C&L. Being an automatic owner I want to get the best for the automatic specifically. My choice right now is to buy the C&L, XCal2 + tunes straight from Alternative Auto and install everything myself. I am hesitant to do this because it costs $750 and I am new to installing mods myself. The other choice I have is to buy the JLT(the best IMO) and take it to JDM Engineering in Freehold and have an SCT tuner work specifically on my car, even though it is an auto. I've heard the issues with the JLT, but the new insert has apparently solved the falling off and heat deformation problems. I need your opinions on this because the CAI will be my major HP mod for awhile. Also, what octane tune should I get? My car is a daily driver and will rarely go to the track, so I think I should just stick with 87, instead of going to 93. Thanks in advance.
Old 6/29/05, 08:23 PM
I talk to cones.

Originally posted by 2005 Black GT@June 29, 2005, 9:16 PM
I'm having trouble deciding on what CAI to get. The choice right now is between JLT and C&L. Being an automatic owner I want to get the best for the automatic specifically. My choice right now is to buy the C&L, XCal2 + tunes straight from Alternative Auto and install everything myself. I am hesitant to do this because it costs $750 and I am new to installing mods myself. The other choice I have is to buy the JLT(the best IMO) and take it to JDM Engineering in Freehold and have an SCT tuner work specifically on my car, even though it is an auto. I've heard the issues with the JLT, but the new insert has apparently solved the falling off and heat deformation problems. I need your opinions on this because the CAI will be my major HP mod for awhile. Also, what octane tune should I get? My car is a daily driver and will rarely go to the track, so I think I should just stick with 87, instead of going to 93. Thanks in advance.
I am going off of other peoples comments.

From what I have read any canned tune MAY not provide the highest horsepower for your car in comparison to a dyno tune.

If money is an issue in lieu of the improvements to the JLT with the insert I would say get a JLT with the tune that he sells with the CAI. With an X-Cal this will run you about

X-Cal $350-$375
JLT $150-$175
Tune $75

Total $575-$625

M.O.P.

Also speaking from other people experience going to a 93 octane tune is offset somewhat by milage improvement of the tune and the fuel.

I will only be putting 93 in my car.
Old 6/29/05, 08:24 PM
GT Member

If I go to a tuner at JDM, do I have to pay for an Xcal?
Old 6/29/05, 08:30 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 2005 Black GT@June 29, 2005, 8:27 PM
If I go to a tuner at JDM, do I have to pay for an Xcal?
yes you will have to pay for sct. this is where i got all my stuff done at!!!! ask for todd and tell him mike w/ blue 05 gt sent you. jim at jdm is top notch!!!! any questions email me.
Old 6/29/05, 09:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

The JLT kit is a great Power adder but if you are going to JDM for a Dyno tune, then don't get the can tune from JLT. It is always better to get your car tuned vs. a can tune. Every car is different. I had mine tuned at the same time as another car with auto and sim. upgrades and both cars had to be adjusted differently.
The end results were about the same, but what had to be adjusted was quite different.
Also go with the 93 oct. tune. Gas milage will offset the extra cost per gallon.
At .15 cents more a gallon 16 gallons is $2.40 more a tank of gas.

Gas milage is a mix of City and Highway
16 Gallons of gas at $2.00 is $32.00
16x 19MPG=304 miles

If you only get 1 MPG more with 93 oct.
16 Gallons of gas at $2.15 is $34.40
16x 20MPG=320 miles 16 more miles or .84 gallons less than 87 Oct. for the same distance.
This would be a net savings of .72 cents per tank of gas with 87 oct. if you only get 1 MPG more.
I think it is worth that much.

I am getting more like 2 MPG more on 93 oct.
So I am actually saving money.

Do the math with your gas prices and MPG and see what you get.

Steve
Old 6/29/05, 10:11 PM
Bullitt Member

2005 Black GT,

I have an auto, as well. I bought the C & L with the DiabloSport Predator, and use the canned tune from DiabloSport. The performance gains were immediate and very apparent. I'm still not convinced that my dyno sessions were done properly, but the change from stock to C & L on the same dyno was +22 HP. I've read many posts here where people are more than satidfied with the Xcal2, but I am very happy with the Predator. My mileage has gone up, as well, as has the responsiveness.

JLT seems to have solved their issues, and that is sincerely good news for them. I went with the C & L because I had read many good things about it, and there wasn't that little doubt in my mind, as there was with the JLT (JMHO, guys, please no flames).

In short, buy what you'll feel most comfortable with. Either way, you'll come out ahead. In conclusion, I most highly recommend the C & L, it's more than proven itself to me.

Eric
Old 6/30/05, 06:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by SC67Stang@June 29, 2005, 11:47 PM
The JLT kit is a great Power adder but if you are going to JDM for a Dyno tune, then don't get the can tune from JLT. It is always better to get your car tuned vs. a can tune. Every car is different. I had mine tuned at the same time as another car with auto and sim. upgrades and both cars had to be adjusted differently.
The end results were about the same, but what had to be adjusted was quite different.
Also go with the 93 oct. tune. Gas milage will offset the extra cost per gallon.
At .15 cents more a gallon 16 gallons is $2.40 more a tank of gas.

Gas milage is a mix of City and Highway
16 Gallons of gas at $2.00 is $32.00
16x 19MPG=304 miles

If you only get 1 MPG more with 93 oct.
16 Gallons of gas at $2.15 is $34.40
16x 20MPG=320 miles 16 more miles or .84 gallons less than 87 Oct. for the same distance.
This would be a net savings of .72 cents per tank of gas with 87 oct. if you only get 1 MPG more.
I think it is worth that much.

I am getting more like 2 MPG more on 93 oct.
So I am actually saving money.

Do the math with your gas prices and MPG and see what you get.

Steve
Most tuners will need a tune to start with, unless they provide tunes themselves. As for me, I paid for the canned tune and had the guys at DTP tweak the tune on the Dyno. Either way, I would have had to pay $75.00 for a tune from Jay or Brent at DTP. Maybe some tuners have their own that they supply with any kits that they may be selling such as the SCT or Diablo.
Old 6/30/05, 07:56 AM
Cobra R Member

Well here is another choice. Buy the SCT XCAL 2, and buy this new CAI coming out, with radiator cover ram air effect coming, then get it tuned at a sct dyno facility in your area.
Here is the newest CAI I like. Just going to wait until radiator cover is out to purchase. Good luck, all are good products, just depends on what you like.
http://www.wmsracing.com/wmsweb/05hvi.htm
Old 6/30/05, 09:01 AM
Cobra Member

Do any of you worry about voiding your warranty? I would go out tomorrow and buy a CAI and tuner if I weren't do frightened of losing the warranty.
Old 6/30/05, 09:20 AM
Bullitt Member

you can always go back to stock for warranty work.
Old 6/30/05, 09:23 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by bigaloz@June 30, 2005, 9:23 AM
you can always go back to stock for warranty work.
I thought they could tell if it had been flashed in the past.
Old 6/30/05, 09:58 AM
Cobra Member

What I don't really understand is first, if we all get the same computer from factory, parameters are all the same, then why does each car need a different tune!? I mean, the other thing that I don't get is why there are free downloads available for certain CAI from Diablosport, but for JLT, they need the original car tune and tweak that one to make it work... I don't know, I guess I would love to see what the programming is all about to understand it better, otherwise I have a hard time believing that if 2 cars have the same mods, the programing or tuning would be different
Old 6/30/05, 11:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by rony1976@June 30, 2005, 11:01 AM
What I don't really understand is first, if we all get the same computer from factory, parameters are all the same, then why does each car need a different tune!? I mean, the other thing that I don't get is why there are free downloads available for certain CAI from Diablosport, but for JLT, they need the original car tune and tweak that one to make it work... I don't know, I guess I would love to see what the programming is all about to understand it better, otherwise I have a hard time believing that if 2 cars have the same mods, the programing or tuning would be different
It's simple,
These cars and kits go to all different parts of the world. The air, weather, altitude, and many other factors are different.
Also the gas we all run. It's not the same in CA as it is here in VA or Germany for that matter. (I have sent many kits there as of late).

Plus, it's just fact that car #2394 is not a perfect, exact copy of #2395.
All cars run slightly different.
Old 6/30/05, 11:31 AM
Cobra Member

Hey Jay! Thanks for the response! By the way, I'm about to send my tune to Brent so I can install your JLT CAI, which I keep hearing it's an awesome product. I have it seating at home, waiting for me to get around it!
Old 6/30/05, 12:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by sodaman@June 30, 2005, 7:59 AM
Well here is another choice. Buy the SCT XCAL 2, and buy this new CAI coming out, with radiator cover ram air effect coming, then get it tuned at a sct dyno facility in your area.
Here is the newest CAI I like. Just going to wait until radiator cover is out to purchase. Good luck, all are good products, just depends on what you like.
http://www.wmsracing.com/wmsweb/05hvi.htm
Wow where does the maf sensor go ?
Old 6/30/05, 08:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Alternative auto on this one. They have the most experience with the autos at this time. Plus Lidio is a super nice guy. I've bought all my performance parts from him on this car. Just bought a convertor this week as a matter of fact

Also JDM is a good place to deal with. I have bought a ton of stuff from them over the past several years for my Lightning. Jim has always done me right along with Anthony.

Thanks Mike
Old 6/30/05, 10:05 PM
Cobra R Member

Just think of it this way. Cars are like women. No two the same even if twins. Does that clear up hing for you?
Old 7/1/05, 08:14 AM
Bullitt Member

If you have an Auto, Alternative has the most experiance and in my opinion the best tune for the Auto trans. So, I would recomend the C&L and the Alternative tune.

If it was a stick, the JTL would be the obvious choice...
Old 7/1/05, 05:28 PM

I really doubt if you could go wrong with either CAI, if you really want one. I choose the C&L because i got a good price: C&L + Predator + C&L Downloads + PC Interface Kit for $653.00 shipped. The other thing is that it looks good. I like the stainless look. If you ask anyone which one they like, they will always like the one they got. I haven't got my C&L yet but IMO "it's the best".
Old 7/2/05, 12:04 PM
GT Member

I would like to know what is the real world difference in HP between these 2 units. Do you guys think that the air cominig into the car for the C&L is going to heat-up because they use metal instead of plastic like some claim? I also like the look of the C&L better.
Also, why would the JTL be the obvious choice for stick as stated above?

Quick Reply: CAI Dilemma