GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

C&L street CAI install

Search this Thread

Old 7/17/07, 06:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C&L street CAI install

Did any of you use the MAF bracket that attaches to the valve cover when installing the C&L CAI or did you install it without it? So far only thing I ran into is they forgot to include the MAF sensor screws. I got lucky and had that size at the shop. One other thing. Did anyone have to notch their filter housing to clear the ABS lines?
Old 7/17/07, 07:03 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mustangdaren
Did any of you use the MAF bracket that attaches to the valve cover when installing the C&L CAI or did you install it without it? So far only thing I ran into is they forgot to include the MAF sensor screws. I got lucky and had that size at the shop. One other thing. Did anyone have to notch their filter housing to clear the ABS lines?
Yes I use the bracket and yes I did notch the heat shield for better clearance around the ABS lines!
Old 7/17/07, 07:34 PM
Bullitt Member

I used the intake bracket... really provides a solid mount. Also notched the bracket (see pic) so I didn't have to pull valve cover bolt. Second: also had to notch the heat shield to clear to brake lines... both were 2min jobs with a hacksaw. Install went off without a hitch... no codes/no issues since install.
Attached Thumbnails C&L street CAI install-c-l-notched-bracket.jpg   C&L street CAI install-c-l-shield-notch.jpg  
Old 7/17/07, 07:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the info. I got everything installed but I might go back and notch the air box like you all did so it will fit better. I didn't like how it rubbed up against the ABS lines. I loaded the 93 tune and fired it up to make sure it would run. I have to wait until tomorrow evening for a test drive. It is pouring down rain right now so not much use going out.
Old 7/17/07, 08:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I removed the valve cover screw to attach bracket. should I be worried about that?
Old 7/17/07, 08:09 PM
Bullitt Member

I'll let you know because I did also, lol. Shouldn't be no issues as long as you did not overtighten it and crack the valve cover bolt hole ear.
Old 7/17/07, 08:11 PM
Bullitt Member

I didn't notch the heat shield for the brake lines but then I didn't zip tie the heat shield to the lines either so they're not touching. As TacoBill pointed out, the hood holds the heat shield in place once it's shut.
Old 7/17/07, 08:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Could someone post a closeup pic of their airbox so I can see how it is suppose to fit.
Old 7/17/07, 08:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

man why did you have to bring up cracking.. i was so worried about that and i had finally forgotten until now lol. how would i know if i had cracke dit
Old 7/17/07, 08:50 PM
Bullitt Member

If you would have cracked it you would have seen it because most likely being cast it would have broke completely off. Would have been a good excuse to get some FRPP chrome covers though, lol.
Old 7/17/07, 09:23 PM
GT Member

uh you shouldn't have to notch anything..
Old 7/17/07, 09:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have the Racer and I don't know the difference, but I didn't notch anything around the ABS lines. Mine does not include the additional bracket as the weight of the whole system is minimal. Almost 20K miles and I just checked the connections and still not one loose/rubbing component.
Old 7/17/07, 10:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Clark Kent
I removed the valve cover screw to attach bracket. should I be worried about that?
If you followed the correct torq specs... you should be OK. I decided to notch the bracket so it would be easier to swap back to stock for warranty service... didn't want to keep pulling/swapping the valve cover bolt.

Originally Posted by mustangdaren
Could someone post a closeup pic of their airbox so I can see how it is suppose to fit.
Here's a pic of C&L Street heat shield... if this is what you were referring to...
Attached Thumbnails C&L street CAI install-c-l-street-cai.jpg  
Old 7/18/07, 01:36 AM
whs
GT Member

Yes on the bracket, no to notching the heat shield. Has anybody noticed their filter rubbing the frame? I tried repositioning mine for some reason the filter touches and rubs where the airbox used to sit.
Old 7/18/07, 02:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

!@#$ i didnt use a torque wrech just tightened with a socket. *&^) am i in troubl ehow shoul di check thi smind you i have driven quite a bit already i would have noticed something dont u think
Old 7/18/07, 10:53 AM
GT Member

your fine calm down...you would notice something.
Old 7/18/07, 11:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

would i be able to inspect it and see if it cracked or would it be internal and therfore out side of line of sight. I know im being a freak right now but this is bothering me alot. i suggested using a torque wrench my friend who is a mechanic talke dme out of it though. he said it wasnt necc
Old 7/18/07, 01:21 PM
GT Member

yes you would be able to tell if it was cracked.
Old 7/18/07, 06:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Well I finally got to take it for a spin this evening. I am impressed. My car was such a turd before it wouldn't even spin on a wet road. Now with just a touch of the throttle it's break the tires loose and the firmness of the shifts with the automatic are perfect. I figure on a cool day chirping 2nd and third will be no problem even with 20's and stock gears. I am kinda looking forward to some 3:73 or 4:10 gears now. If anyone is thinking of getting the C&L and SCT believe me (the worlds biggest critic) it is worth the money. The car feels like a different car and revs extremely quick now. A good exampe would be the car now feels quicker at half throttle than it did at full throttle before the tune.
Old 7/18/07, 06:53 PM
Bullitt Member

What 93 tune did you load bro and is it from Bamachips?

Does if feel like a different car to you?

Quick Reply: C&L street CAI install