GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

C&L Street CAI

Search this Thread

Old 8/13/07, 08:54 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C&L Street CAI

2006 Vista Blue GT here...considering getting the C&L Street CAI with "no-tune" option...

http://www.cnlperformance.com/notune.html

I understand that a tune is the way to go but i want to wait until after my warranty expires before i do that. Rather than rehashing any debates about how to get around dealers detecting the flash or any other debates about tunes, i'd love to get some feedback from anyone who has installed this CAI and is using it with the "no tune" option.

Will i see any performance gains at all? If so, what kind of gains have others seen? Any chance of the 17-19 HP that C&L advertises?

If i would see some performance gains from this CAI with the no tune option i would gladly buy it and then flash with a good tune from Bama/Brenspeed when my warranty expires.

Thoughts?

Side note: Does this CAI have metal or plastic tube? Is that a big concern? i've read many posts that make a big deal about that...

Appreciate all the input, thanks folks, by far the best mustang forum!
Old 8/13/07, 11:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I installed the C&L Street CAI w/ no-tune insert in May. Based on the butt-dyno, it immediately showed more kick. Also, the one thing I really noticed was the sound improvement. I'm running Flowmaster ATs, and after C&L CAI install, man... the flows got louder (mainly on heavy throttle and @ WOT).. and not annoying louder... true muscle-car louder. I plan on going the B@maChips route with tune... but not yet... so no-tune solution was perfect for me. I spent quite a bit of time researching the best CAI solution for my situation... and C&L Street was it. Also, Doug (B@maChips) and Lee (C&L) answered all my questions/concerns regarding this CAI. Doug also tested (dyno) the prototype no-tune C&L last fall at one of the shows... and as I recall, members posted rwHP gains of around 15 AND A/F stayed at a safe 13:1 ratio. Install went off without a hitch... very solid. Knock on wood... no performance issues (i.e., CELs, idle) to date, either.
Attached Thumbnails C&L Street CAI-c-l_3.jpg  
Old 8/14/07, 05:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Where's a good place to buy the C&L no tune CAI?
Old 8/14/07, 06:29 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by DoctorQ
I installed the C&L Street CAI w/ no-tune insert in May. Based on the butt-dyno, it immediately showed more kick. Also, the one thing I really noticed was the sound improvement. I'm running Flowmaster ATs, and after C&L CAI install, man... the flows got louder (mainly on heavy throttle and @ WOT).. and not annoying louder... true muscle-car louder. I plan on going the B@maChips route with tune... but not yet... so no-tune solution was perfect for me. I spent quite a bit of time researching the best CAI solution for my situation... and C&L Street was it. Also, Doug (B@maChips) and Lee (C&L) answered all my questions/concerns regarding this CAI. Doug also tested (dyno) the prototype no-tune C&L last fall at one of the shows... and as I recall, members posted rwHP gains of around 15 AND A/F stayed at a safe 13:1 ratio. Install went off without a hitch... very solid. Knock on wood... no performance issues (i.e., CELs, idle) to date, either.
That's awesome to hear DoctorQ, exactly the type of post i was hoping for. Are you aware of any dyno charts (not from C&L website) that show stock setup vs. C&L Street w/ no tune option? If @15 HP (or 17-19 HP per C&L website) is possible without tune i will gladly go that route for now and then flash later when i'm out of warranty. I am happy to hear that it opened up your exhaust, that is one of the primary reasons i am considering it even without a tune. I have heard that CAIs have had this effect for many people and i just ordered a set of FRPP GTAs; don't know if it will have any effect on my setup as it is completely stock all the way until the axlebacks.
Old 8/14/07, 06:33 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 05RedGT
I am not 100% positive, but there is a phone number listed on the website...256.882.6813. I am going to try to call when they open today and find out if i can just order directly and if they give any sort of discount to TMS folks. Anyone know if they do?
Old 8/14/07, 12:13 PM
V6 Member

It's not a whole new style of intake... its an insert that goes into the MAF housing of the street intake that conditions the airflow in such a way that the computer can adjust for the higher flow.

That being said, all of the new C&L Street intakes have this insert, and if you buy a used older one, you can get the insert straight from C&L for $32 plus shipping. Just call the phone number on their web site. I never thought to ask about a forum discount or anything..
Old 8/14/07, 01:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by GT Bob
conditions the airflow in such a way that the computer can adjust for the higher flow.
No higher flow (according to C&L).

Although the use of the "no tune option" DOES reduce flow through the assembly,
Old 8/14/07, 02:13 PM
Bullitt Member

All C&L Street CAI kits now come with the insert (since around May07). You can buy it directly from C&L or any of their authorized dealers. I know that B@maChips (Doug) and TillmanSpeed (ask for CR) both carry it. If you buy an older Street CAI kit, I think you can buy the insert directly from C&L as well.
Old 8/14/07, 02:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Anonimac
That's awesome to hear DoctorQ, exactly the type of post i was hoping for. Are you aware of any dyno charts (not from C&L website) that show stock setup vs. C&L Street w/ no tune option? If @15 HP (or 17-19 HP per C&L website) is possible without tune i will gladly go that route for now and then flash later when i'm out of warranty. I am happy to hear that it opened up your exhaust, that is one of the primary reasons i am considering it even without a tune. I have heard that CAIs have had this effect for many people and i just ordered a set of FRPP GTAs; don't know if it will have any effect on my setup as it is completely stock all the way until the axlebacks.
as far as dyno charts, I'd recommend contacting Doug @ Bama Chips. He tested a few cars with dyno charts. He could also possibly steer you to other TMS members who might have their Dyno numbers.
Old 8/14/07, 02:44 PM
GT Member

I think i'm decided on getting this CAI...anyone know where the best price is?

Just fyi to others....Spoke to C&L today and they said that most places sell them for about 10-15% than they do, so i'll be shopping elsewhere. They also said that even though the website says they include this on every kit, they DO NOT because they had enough people confused that were using the "no tune" insert with a tune and having problems. They said if ordering from them specify in comments and that there an "I" (<---capital i) at the end of the part number if you DO want the no tune insert.
Old 8/14/07, 05:05 PM
GT Member

This is a good deal

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=69563
Old 8/14/07, 07:23 PM
Bullitt Member

I think i'm decided on getting this CAI...anyone know where the best price is?

Just fyi to others....Spoke to C&L today and they said that most places sell them for about 10-15% than they do, so i'll be shopping elsewhere. They also said that even though the website says they include this on every kit, they DO NOT because they had enough people confused that were using the "no tune" insert with a tune and having problems. They said if ordering from them specify in comments and that there an "I" (<---capital i) at the end of the part number if you DO want the no tune insert.
Contact CR @ TillmanSpeed... he takes care of TMS'rs and is VERY competitive on pricing.
Old 8/14/07, 07:29 PM
GT Member

Doesn't seem that Tillman has the Street kit...i bought mine today from rpmoutlet for 339 but i had to pay tax because i'm in Texas...for those not in Texas i would suggest going with rpmoutlet.

On a side note i have a concern still about running this CAI with no tune and what that may do to the engine, aka run too lean, too rich, idle rough, etc... I hope everything turns our fine. Can someone point me to any real world reviews of the C&L Street CAI with no tune and what people's experience has been? Also, seeing some actual performance comparisons (dyno results) wouldn't be bad either...i'm not expecting much, i just hope it wakes up my FRPP GTAs a bit...
Old 8/14/07, 08:25 PM
Team Mustang Source

I hope you have a good experience with RPM Outlet. Many have not, some have. Hopefully you will be ok. Search for them on this forum and see what kind of stuff you can find. You might be suprised.
Old 8/14/07, 08:52 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by theedge67
I hope you have a good experience with RPM Outlet. Many have not, some have. Hopefully you will be ok. Search for them on this forum and see what kind of stuff you can find. You might be suprised.
Ahhh crap...i just did a search and as you say nothing but bad news. I onlywent with them because they seem to have a good price and are local and swear i'll have the part tomorrow (next day). Luckily i'm ordering something that is kinda standalone and hopefully won't require any sort of support if it isn't damaged. I just hope that the "no tune" option really works and my car doesn't throw CELs or whatever (has anyone had issues with that and these C&L Street no tune kits?). I'll post tomorrow night and update on the progress. If my experience is positive i wouldn't mind giving them some positive credit either. Keep your fingers crossed for me...
Old 8/14/07, 10:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Doesn't seem that Tillman has the Street kit...i bought mine today from rpmoutlet for 339 but i had to pay tax because i'm in Texas...for those not in Texas i would suggest going with rpmoutlet.

On a side note i have a concern still about running this CAI with no tune and what that may do to the engine, aka run too lean, too rich, idle rough, etc... I hope everything turns our fine. Can someone point me to any real world reviews of the C&L Street CAI with no tune and what people's experience has been? Also, seeing some actual performance comparisons (dyno results) wouldn't be bad either...i'm not expecting much, i just hope it wakes up my FRPP GTAs a bit...
He carried it when I bought it from him a few months back. He also puts customer service at the top of his priority list (personal experience and from numerous posts here on TMS). You'll be happy with the C&L Street kit.. I know I am and have the flexibility to easily pull insert when I load a tune.
Old 8/15/07, 04:27 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by LBJay
No higher flow (according to C&L).

I suggest you re-read the section on C&L's page about the insert..

Stock intake flows 550 cfm... C&L streeet with no tune insert.. 885 cfm.

http://www.cnlperformance.com/notune.html
About 2/3 of the way down the page.
Old 8/15/07, 09:07 PM
GT Member

Quick update on rpmoutlet.com since it's been the topic of some negative feedback. I received my C&L Street CAI the next day as promissed. Granted, i live about 30 minutes away so no surprise there but i figure i'd give them some credit as even their shipping has been brought into question. I have inspected the packaging and all SEEMS well but i won't know until i have a chance to install this Friday...i will update on any issues after install (issues that i feel have to do with rpmoutlet vs. C&L). At this point i'm really not anticipating any.
Old 8/15/07, 10:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Good to hear. BTW, I'd recommend installing the C&L supplied MAF bracket... makes for a solid install as it supports the inlet tube (as opposed to the plastic heat shield holding some of the weight). The bracket calls for removal (and replacement with supplied bolt) of the forward valve cover bolt. I decided I didn't want to completely pull the valve cover bolt, so I just notched the bracket in a "U" shape.. and slid under existing valve cover bolt (you'll need to back it off about 1/4" to slide bracket under.. then re-tighten to torque specs). Also will be easier to swap back to stock if you need to go in for warranty work. Got the notch idea from another TMS member... so thought I'd pass along a good tip.
Attached Thumbnails C&amp;L Street CAI-c-l-notched-bracket.jpg  
Old 8/16/07, 07:34 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by DoctorQ
Good to hear. BTW, I'd recommend installing the C&L supplied MAF bracket... makes for a solid install as it supports the inlet tube (as opposed to the plastic heat shield holding some of the weight). The bracket calls for removal (and replacement with supplied bolt) of the forward valve cover bolt. I decided I didn't want to completely pull the valve cover bolt, so I just notched the bracket in a "U" shape.. and slid under existing valve cover bolt (you'll need to back it off about 1/4" to slide bracket under.. then re-tighten to torque specs). Also will be easier to swap back to stock if you need to go in for warranty work. Got the notch idea from another TMS member... so thought I'd pass along a good tip.
I'm at work at the moment and have no way of checking but i don't think i got the bracket in question. (understand it's not U shape from beginning, but i don't think i got it period.) I'll check when i get home and if i did get it will certainly install it and do it the way you said. How did you notch it? Hard to do?

Quick Reply: C&L Street CAI