GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

C&L Intake System Initial Results

Search this Thread

Old 12/17/04, 01:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That's cool - I'm all for it to keep things on the same thread.
Old 12/17/04, 01:43 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
how about I merge em
Old 12/17/04, 01:45 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally posted by ZERO@December 17, 2004, 3:16 PM
that looks great. i'm really impressed by the custom MAF. that was one thing that concerened me about the other requiring an adjustment to be made after installing the intake.

awesome find scott.

very impressive.

B)
Wasnt really a find. It was sent directly to me by Lee. I wanted to get the best info on new mods for you guys I could. I was also trying to help him find a test car but he found one before we needed to poll the forum for people in his area. He's a forum member now so he may post up some more info and his thoughts on it.
Old 12/17/04, 02:24 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look at the gains up top....Nice!! This intake and a tune should put manual GT owners easily over 300 whp.
Old 12/17/04, 02:45 PM

Originally posted by Kluski@December 17, 2004, 11:57 AM
I wonder if that included a reflash. Like others have been saying, no mods are gainful unless a flash is included. At least the gain won't last long anyway.
If you read all of the information provided, it explains why a re-tune is not necessary. And these gains will not magically become "lost when the computer figures out what we are doing" as the computer can not un-do the airflow improvements AND it does not actively adjust the air/fuel ratio at WOT.
The computers on these vehicles actively monitor the air/fuel ratio under normal driving and make adjustments only under part throttle and normal driving conditions. The wide open throttle strategy is not constantly being adjusted to "undo" your gains. If this were true, then your air/fuel ratio (stock) would be at the commanded 12:1 that the computer is set up for. In reality, the stock air/fuel is in the high 10 to 11.0:1 range. The calibration of the CNC machined air meter housing makes sure that the air/fuel goes to the (low 12:1) range that the computer is programmed for from the factory. We could make it leaner, but then it would cause you to need tuning as you do other mods (like exhaust).
I have been spending a fair amount of time talking with Diablo Sport about the development of this kit, so I have been given some great tips on how the computer works from them. They have already tuned a vehicle with a supercharger, so they have seen first hand what is needed when large changes are made. By making the ACTUAL air/fuel the same ratio that the computer is programmed to expect to see, we don't have to worry about the need for a re-tune. For those who are using this system and you want to do a re-flash, Diablo may program the Predator with an option to specify the use of our system to make it easier for the end user (to ensure that the programming doesn't alter the air/fuel ratio too much). They have some test vehicles that they want to use our system on, and I am trying to get them production parts as soon as possible. We appreciate the interest in this product, and I am sure that once people get to try it first hand, it will become very popular.
This package can not be directly compared to any other system, as the inlet pipe alone added 6 rear wheel HP over the stock inlet plumbing. Although our heat shield was not available at the time of this test, a mold is currently being made, and we will update our website with photos and more information about the completed system when it becomes available.

Lee
Old 12/17/04, 03:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for the info.

Another question. Since it seems that the HC filter is required for emiisions inspection (for those that have to get it done). How will adding this intake effect us? I assume by the pictures, the filter will not fit in the intake pipe. Should we switch back to stock to get an emissions inspection?
Old 12/17/04, 04:02 PM
Bullitt Member

I think I just found my intake system. 15-20 ponies and no need for a chip re-flash...

Sweet.

Lee, be sure to drop back in the forum in Jan and let us know when they're ready to order...
Old 12/17/04, 06:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow, that is one nice looking setup, and for 15-20 ponies, that is definitly worth some change outta my pocket. Can't wait to get mine on order.
Old 12/17/04, 08:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'll be ordering one of these for that kind of performance. Nice job!!
I knew I was waiting for a reason.
Old 12/17/04, 08:45 PM
Bullitt Member

nice work,looks like a quality system.
Old 12/18/04, 07:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Looks great put me on the waiting list

The Boss Hog
Old 12/18/04, 01:15 PM
GTR Member

Sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12/18/04, 06:56 PM
Cobra R Member

I like everything here but the price. He seems to be trying to recover his mold and setup cost too soon. $250.00 would be a fair price. That comes in at 16.66 per HP gain. The $300+ price still beats the exhaust HP gain claimed. On a score of one to ten on looks this system scores a nine in my book for sure.
Old 12/19/04, 02:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Ill wait till someone from this forum installs one and comes up with similar results. Not that I don't trust them, but I've seen alot of promised numbers on other items which have fallen short of their original numbers.

A+ on the look , very clean.
Old 12/20/04, 12:32 PM
GT Member

This is a great looking installation, but I have a question. Were your Dyno tests done with the hood open or closed? It strikes me that the Aluminum would store and transfer more heat to the intake charge than the rubber would. Here in Arizona, underhood temps are a major concern.

Nice Job!
Old 12/20/04, 09:44 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Wow, that is awesome!

Two questions:

1. Stock warranty problems? Comments?
2. How hard would it be to swap the factory airbox back in for service if it was a problem?

Wonder what the gains would be if you added a cat-back exhaust?
Old 12/21/04, 06:19 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Dan@December 20, 2004, 10:47 PM
Wow, that is awesome!

Two questions:

1. Stock warranty problems? Comments?
2. How hard would it be to swap the factory airbox back in for service if it was a problem?

Wonder what the gains would be if you added a cat-back exhaust?
i'm curious about that too, since i was looking in to the c&L or the MMR intake, and planning on getting a bassani cat-back.
Old 12/21/04, 06:54 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not sure how or why it would effect warranty since it is just the air intake. As far as swapping it back it only takes a few minutes to install so changing back and forth would be easy.
Old 12/21/04, 08:16 AM
Team Mustang Source

i think it may be a benifit on the part of the c&L design that the car doesn't need to be retuned after installing the intake. like they said, since the MAF is the same size you don't need to adjust the computer (which does void the warranty). although after talking with swingle007 and 2005RedGT at their dyno tune on saturday, it seemed like the computer automatically picked up the changes to the MAF from their MMR intakes.
Old 12/21/04, 12:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

I don't get it.

I saw a 17+hp gain via an SCT tune and removal of the HC Trap.

Now, our tunes may not be the same. BUT, my guess is that a tune that massages A/F ratios is good for 12hp at 87 octane, based on my SCT tune dyno runs. And my HC trap was good for 5-7hp across the board, and the differences were additive to about 18hp difference between factory stock and removal of HC trap plus tune.

I'm not convinced that this cool looking aluminum intake tube actually buys you anything. And it is sure to weigh more. But it does look cool.
===
edited later:

My bad, the C&L didn't require a flash.

Well, that looks like an additional 10hp over HC trap removal alone.

Quick Reply: C&L Intake System Initial Results