GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

C&L Intake Slipping

Search this Thread

Old 11/6/08, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C&L Intake Slipping

I recently installed a used C&L intake on my 2008 GT. Now, I'm not sure if I've installed it wrong, forgot a piece or something, but the hose appears to be slipping off the throttle body after some driving.

I've read about a bracket to hold the intake up, because right now it seems like too much of the weight of the intake is beared by the rubber sleeve between the throttle body and intake hose. M

Mine did not come with one, but I'd like to get my hands on one or rig up something like it. After all, it would be quite a mess if I popped the intake off over a bump!

Other than that, the intake and Brenspeed tune is great!

Thanks for you help!
Old 11/6/08, 06:36 PM

tighten it tighter onto the throttle body.
Old 11/6/08, 07:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Mine slipped off once and the check engine light came on. (That's how I knew) I just put it back on and cranked it a little tighter. A few days later the check engine light went out and it's been all good ever since.
Old 11/6/08, 10:08 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by krnpimpsta
tighten it tighter onto the throttle body.
Use your man strenth
Old 11/6/08, 11:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

If you have the C&L Street intake you need a "L" bracket. It bolts underneath the MAF housing and onto the head via a cam-cover bolt.

Old 11/7/08, 12:36 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by habu
If you have the C&L Street intake you need a "L" bracket. It bolts underneath the MAF housing and onto the head via a cam-cover bolt.

That's true, i have the racer and forgot about that.... The elbow is to heavy from what i have heard
Old 11/7/08, 06:59 AM

This intake is pretty heavy. I don't think it's going to support itself!

I tried using all my man-strength and everything!

I'll try to get ahold of one of these brackets. Thanks for the picture, very helpful!
Old 11/7/08, 07:14 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by tsooby
This intake is pretty heavy. I don't think it's going to support itself!

I'll try to get ahold of one of these brackets. Thanks for the picture, very helpful!
I think your best and easyist thing to do is call C&L and just buy it from them.
Old 11/7/08, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by touring
Use your man strenth
Oh yeah, I forgot the Street intake was metal and heavier.. I have the plastic racer intake. Oh well, use more man strength. Usually fixes everything!

(jk, the bracket sounds like it might work better)
Old 11/7/08, 01:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Ive had my C&L street intake on for over 2 years without the metal bracket and have had no problems.
Old 11/7/08, 01:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I recently installed a used C&L intake on my 2008 GT. Now, I'm not sure if I've installed it wrong, forgot a piece or something, but the hose appears to be slipping off the throttle body after some driving.

I've read about a bracket to hold the intake up, because right now it seems like too much of the weight of the intake is beared by the rubber sleeve between the throttle body and intake hose. M

Mine did not come with one, but I'd like to get my hands on one or rig up something like it. After all, it would be quite a mess if I popped the intake off over a bump!

Other than that, the intake and Brenspeed tune is great!

Thanks for you help!
––––––

Same here, only K&N.
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...&highlight=CEL
LJS
Old 11/7/08, 01:35 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by shwaco1967
Mine slipped off once and the check engine light came on. (That's how I knew) I just put it back on and cranked it a little tighter. A few days later the check engine light went out and it's been all good ever since.
If that ever happens again... either retune the car and the CEL will go away... or...

Plug in tuner... Main Menu select Vehicle Info, Then select Clear DTC's and follow the on-screen instructions...

That way you dont have to drive around with that annoying light...
Old 11/8/08, 06:49 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 69_gt500
Ive had my C&L street intake on for over 2 years without the metal bracket and have had no problems.
+1 ..but I've only had mine for a year now.
Old 11/8/08, 09:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Use a socket to tighten and not just the screwdriver. I had mine come loose a couple of times. Just keep trying to tighten is a bit more each time as overtighten may crack the plastic tube.

Mine has stayed seated nearly a year now with no problems...
Old 11/12/08, 05:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by 69Mach1-409
+1 ..but I've only had mine for a year now.
+2. No bracket. Aluminum intake is just fine. As a matter of fact the hose clamp snapped on me (the one holding the blue hose to the throttle body) when I was tightening it using my man-strength and I haven't bothered to replace it. Car runs fine, intake is still snugged up tight.
Old 11/12/08, 07:37 PM
V6 Member

I've had the street intake for 2.5ish years without bracket and no problems. I didnt use the bracket because it requires the replacement of one of the OE cam-cover screws (which have some sort of useful-looking rubber seal on them) that the C & L supplied screw for the bracket doesnt.

I'll add that the intake is also suppported by the heat shield, so the blue throttle-body-connecting-tube doesn't bare the entire weight of the intake. I'd make sure the kit you bought came with the correct heat shield. Good luck!
Old 11/12/08, 09:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Kingpin2B
I've had the street intake for 2.5ish years without bracket and no problems. I didnt use the bracket because it requires the replacement of one of the OE cam-cover screws (which have some sort of useful-looking rubber seal on them) that the C & L supplied screw for the bracket doesnt.

I used the C&L supplied support bracket... IMO, does take the stress off the silicone hose on the throttle body. I also didn't like the fact that the bracket (as supplied) requires removal/replacement of one of the valve cover bolts... so I notched the bracket (see pic) with a hacksaw. Only have to back out the stock valve-cover bolt slightly (< 1/4") to slide the notched bracket under bolt, then re-torque bolt down. Takes less than 10 min to swap back to stock for dealer warranty visits. Been running the C&L Street for 18 months now... no issues.
Attached Thumbnails C&amp;L Intake Slipping-c-l-notched-bracket.jpg  
Old 11/13/08, 09:04 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by DoctorQ
I used the C&L supplied support bracket... IMO, does take the stress off the silicone hose on the throttle body. I also didn't like the fact that the bracket (as supplied) requires removal/replacement of one of the valve cover bolts... so I notched the bracket (see pic) with a hacksaw. Only have to back out the stock valve-cover bolt slightly (< 1/4") to slide the notched bracket under bolt, then re-torque bolt down. Takes less than 10 min to swap back to stock for dealer warranty visits. Been running the C&L Street for 18 months now... no issues.
I use the bracket too, the notch is a good idea!
Attached Images