GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

c&l intake, pullies, and cm plates installed

Search this Thread

Old 2/13/05, 06:34 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dennis - thanks for the write-up and awesome mods!! I'll be very interested to hear what you pull off at the dyno and how everything goes. You have gone beyond the usual CAI & Tune with the pullies and charge plates as well......I'm wondering what kind of gains you will see with this combo and where in the powerband you will see your gains.....

As far as the actuator for the stock charge plates - the aftermarket needs to include a "dummy" plug so the ECU still thinks it's plugged in - any way you can fashion this with the stock plug you removed?

Good luck with your tune - can't wait to see the results!!

Is it an option to contact Diablo and have them set up your Predator with a tune for the extra mods - or haven't they (or SCT) worked with your particular combo of mods b4?
Old 2/13/05, 08:31 AM
Cobra Member

Dennis, I'd like to come watch ya run it on the dyno. When and where are ya gonna do it if ya don't mind. PM me and let me know. Thanks!
Old 2/13/05, 08:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Dennis

Great mods.

Does the heat shield fit snug against the hood?

I like that the front of the shield is open. Hit my sig for my poor mans CAI. I have run a 2" hose off the front grill into that exact area that is open. See pic. If you have time to do something similar before your dyno it may help especially when they run the cooling fan.
Old 2/13/05, 08:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Looks great and sounds like you are happy. Thats good enough for me. I got to add these parts to my mod list. Only one more year till I can get rid of my BMW!!!
Old 2/13/05, 05:01 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by HOTLAP@February 13, 2005, 7:37 AM
Dennis - thanks for the write-up and awesome mods!! I'll be very interested to hear what you pull off at the dyno and how everything goes. You have gone beyond the usual CAI & Tune with the pullies and charge plates as well......I'm wondering what kind of gains you will see with this combo and where in the powerband you will see your gains.....

As far as the actuator for the stock charge plates - the aftermarket needs to include a "dummy" plug so the ECU still thinks it's plugged in - any way you can fashion this with the stock plug you removed?

Good luck with your tune - can't wait to see the results!!

Is it an option to contact Diablo and have them set up your Predator with a tune for the extra mods - or haven't they (or SCT) worked with your particular combo of mods b4?

To answer you question about the CM plates, Steeda recommends leaving the connector unplugged if you veh is tuned for the mod. As far as the tuner is concerned, I think your best bet is just getting the tuner from a local speed shop with a dyno and having them custom tune it for you. Everyone's car is slightly different. If you are going to keep your car basically stock, then the preprogrammed tune should be alright. Once you start putting other mods on then a custome tune will be required. So IMO why not get it from a local shop, b/c they will work with you for future tunes.
Old 2/13/05, 05:10 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by PONY XPRESS@February 13, 2005, 9:55 AM
Dennis

Great mods.

Does the heat shield fit snug against the hood?

I like that the front of the shield is open. Hit my sig for my poor mans CAI. I have run a 2" hose off the front grill into that exact area that is open. See pic. If you have time to do something similar before your dyno it may help especially when they run the cooling fan.
I far as I can tell it looks like it seals right up against the underside of the hood. the only thing that I didn't really like about the heatshield is how it is secured. The one bolt that holds the old airbox in place is reused but the front of the shield is just tie wrapped to the ABS lines in the front of the car. Other than that it is really great!!
Old 2/13/05, 08:02 PM

2K5Pony- Nice to see that you have it all installed. If you are using a standard tune on your processor right now, I can assure you that your air/fuel is probably really lean right now. Nothing a little tune can't fix, however.
Just FYI... The metal seam on the filter goes down. If you look at the end of the filter, our name is upside down. If you loosen the hose clamp and rotate it 180 degrees, then the logo will be "right side up" and the seam will be invisible. Hope you enjoy your upgrades...

Lee Bender
C&L Performance, Inc.
Old 2/13/05, 09:38 PM
Cobra R Member

Thank you fot the great info and photos. Why did Ford put this restriction in? I do not understand why they were controling this area. I know someone has the answer so help!!!!
Old 2/14/05, 07:20 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by LeeB99@February 13, 2005, 9:05 PM
2K5Pony- Nice to see that you have it all installed. If you are using a standard tune on your processor right now, I can assure you that your air/fuel is probably really lean right now. Nothing a little tune can't fix, however.
Just FYI... The metal seam on the filter goes down. If you look at the end of the filter, our name is upside down. If you loosen the hose clamp and rotate it 180 degrees, then the logo will be "right side up" and the seam will be invisible. Hope you enjoy your upgrades...

Lee Bender
C&L Performance, Inc.

Thanks Lee, You guys have a great set up. My tuner is getting a new CAN datalogger in today so I hope to have everything dialed in real soon. I will email you the dyno graphs as soon as I get my hands on them but unfortunetly it will be w/a couple of other mods besides just the C&L CAI.
Old 2/14/05, 07:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I emailed JMS about the gains from the CMPs. They did not give numbers but said you will only see gains in the higher RPMs.
Old 2/14/05, 09:32 AM
Cobra R Member

Looks great. I am now trying to figure out what I can sell to get the bucks to buy this thing now rather than in a few months. Maybe I can give blood 38 times.
Old 2/14/05, 04:07 PM
Bullitt Member

please let me know if unplugging the CMCP motor causes a problem.Also,do you notice any low speed torque loss with them removed??Im sure 4.10's would make up for that though.Nice post and GREAT pics-thank you.
Old 2/14/05, 04:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Mongoose@February 13, 2005, 8:41 PM
Thank you fot the great info and photos. Why did Ford put this restriction in? I do not understand why they were controling this area. I know someone has the answer so help!!!!

Caveat: I am not 100% certain about the CM plates specifically, but here is a generl answer.

For good combustion, it helps to have higher velocity through the valve ports in order to promote swirl and good mixing of the air-fuel. This is one reason why putting big fat valves and high lift cams is good for high end breathing but hurts low end drivability.

Rather than thinking of it as a restriction, think of it as controlling velocity and adding swirl when the plates are only partially open. But when they are wide open, there is still some restriction because the plate and it's pivot axis are sitting there in the air path.
Old 2/14/05, 04:34 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by M1Rifle@February 14, 2005, 6:28 PM
Caveat: I am not 100% certain about the CM plates specifically, but here is a generl answer.

For good combustion, it helps to have higher velocity through the valve ports in order to promote swirl and good mixing of the air-fuel. This is one reason why putting big fat valves and high lift cams is good for high end breathing but hurts low end drivability.

Rather than thinking of it as a restriction, think of it as controlling velocity and adding swirl when the plates are only partially open. But when they are wide open, there is still some restriction because the plate and it's pivot axis are sitting there in the air path.
I am also not 100% positive, but my Maxima has a similar system. Nissan in 2000 put a Variable Intake manifold system on the 5th gen Maxima. The flap remains closed creating long runners for low end power. At ~5200 rpms the flap engages and opens exposing shorter runners for high end power all the way to redline.

Edit: You were right!
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/fea...1_phr_mustang/
Old 2/22/05, 08:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by max2000jp+February 14, 2005, 3:37 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(max2000jp @ February 14, 2005, 3:37 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-M1Rifle@February 14, 2005, 6:28 PM

I am also not 100% positive, but my Maxima has a similar system. Nissan in 2000 put a Variable Intake manifold system on the 5th gen Maxima. The flap remains closed creating long runners for low end power. At ~5200 rpms the flap engages and opens exposing shorter runners for high end power all the way to redline.

Edit: You were right!
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/fea...1_phr_mustang/
[/b][/quote]

Variable length runners serve a similar purpose, but it's more about tuning the manifold length vs. the swirl at the port. Different length runners have different RPM sweet spots, because each cylinder isn't a smooth flow of air, but rather pulses. Just as a horn is tuned to a specific frequency, manifolds are tuned for high RPM, low RPM, or a mix which is not optimized for either but rather a "best case" across the RPM band.

By using variable length runners (the old Taurus SHO did this as well), you can try to get the best of both worlds.
Old 2/23/05, 08:28 AM
Team Mustang Source

What's the latest on the dyno session with the new mods? Curious what the CMP's are gonna yield......

thanks,
John
Old 2/23/05, 08:45 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by swingle007@February 23, 2005, 9:31 AM
What's the latest on the dyno session with the new mods? Curious what the CMP's are gonna yield......

thanks,
John

302.8 RWHP 322 RWTQ w/ C&L....310.1RWHP 342 RWTQ w/JLT....look at my sig for list of mods