GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

c&l intake, pullies, and cm plates installed

Search this Thread

Old 2/12/05, 03:36 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well all said and done, it only took about three and a half hours to get everything out and the new mods on. The C&L intake and Steeda CM plates went on real easy. The hardest part of the install was the darn crank pulley. The puller I had to remove it was to big to fit between the front of the engine and the fan...so instead of just renting a smaller puller, I ripped the whole fan assembly out That added a little extra time, but it was only a couple bolts and a connector and it came right out. Alright, on to the good stuff. What a HUGE difference. After seeing that video clip of the JMS car, I really wanted to see the difference in the CM plates since they offer them in their top of the line package. Well on the back of the upper intake is a actuator drive motor that connects to the computer. It allows the computer to control the air flow into the engine through the stock CM plates. Besides the Steeda plates looking awesome installed, they eliminate the actuator system all together(pics to follow). And you know what that means...unrestricted airflow into the engine at all powerbands After getting everything back together, I filled up w/93 octane and uploaded SCT's premium fuel program. It is great. I don't think however I am getting the benefit of the extra airflow b/c the regular SCT tune isn't designed for this. Needless to say, I'm having it dynoed on Wednesday to dial all the mods in. You should hear the C&L intake when hitting the throttle with the hood up....it sounds like it wants to stink the front fender off the car Very good experience all together. It just makes you wonder how crazy some of us are to rip our cars apart with only 2k miles on them
Old 2/12/05, 03:38 PM
V6 Member

Here is pics of the intake, injectors,and CM plates removed....
Old 2/12/05, 03:41 PM
V6 Member

Stock CM plates vs Steeda CM plates
Old 2/12/05, 03:42 PM
V6 Member

Pic of intake upside down w/Steeda CM plates installed
Old 2/12/05, 03:43 PM
V6 Member

pullies off...
Old 2/12/05, 03:44 PM
V6 Member

everything back on...
Old 2/12/05, 03:45 PM
V6 Member

Another all done....that conical filter is SWEET
Old 2/12/05, 03:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Awesome write-up and pics 2k5. I'm sure you will see some massive gains on the dyno come wednesday. I wouldn't be surprised to see you pick up 30-40 hp with your mods and the tune.

And you are not crazy, you simply suffer from a rare, psychological disorder know as chronic upgraditis. When my baby comes out of hibernation 1 April, I'll be joining you
Old 2/12/05, 03:51 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Purple Hayz@February 12, 2005, 4:51 PM
Awesome write-up and pics 2k5. I'm sure you will see some massive gains on the dyno come wednesday. I wouldn't be surprised to see you pick up 30-40 hp with your mods and the tune.

And you are not crazy, you simply suffer from a rare, psychological disorder know as chronic upgraditis. When my baby comes out of hibernation 1 April, I'll be joining you

Chronic upgraditis
Old 2/12/05, 03:52 PM
Cobra Member

Thank's for the great pic's!! And thank's a lot, my bank card is gonna melt again.... I am curious how much the new CMP will affect the A/F ratio's, did your check engine light come on. Just wondering if the A/F ratio's stay within the acceptable range, it's nothing a tuner couldn't handle anyway. Look's real good!! I'm pacing the floor waiting for the UPS truck to arrive w/my goodie's... :bang:
Old 2/12/05, 03:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by 2k5pony+February 12, 2005, 4:54 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2k5pony @ February 12, 2005, 4:54 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Purple Hayz@February 12, 2005, 4:51 PM

Chronic upgraditis
[/b][/quote]

Yes, I was thinking of starting a support group for fellow sufferers.

Now get out there and do some driving so you can give us some more SOTP feedback.

Congrats on a smooth install, btw
Old 2/12/05, 03:56 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by 2k5pony+February 12, 2005, 4:54 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2k5pony @ February 12, 2005, 4:54 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Purple Hayz@February 12, 2005, 4:51 PM

Chronic upgraditis
[/b][/quote]

Yah, and it would seem that "Chronic Upgraditis" only get's worse, never better! Like there's a multiplier in this disease or something....
Old 2/12/05, 03:59 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Vegasjay@February 12, 2005, 4:55 PM
Thank's for the great pic's!! And thank's a lot, my bank card is gonna melt again.... I am curious how much the new CMP will affect the A/F ratio's, did your check engine light come on. Just wondering if the A/F ratio's stay within the acceptable range, it's nothing a tuner couldn't handle anyway. Look's real good!! I'm pacing the floor waiting for the UPS truck to arrive w/my goodie's... :bang:

Yes, it came on after only a few minutes. I called my tuner here in town and he said that with the healthy dose of air between the intake and plates that it would. He said it would be nothing he couldn't dial in. That is what makes the programs that you get from SCT or Predator only help to a certain extent. I still think you will never see the real benefit of your mods unless you have a tuner work you a custom tune to meet your exact engines needs
Old 2/12/05, 04:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Vegasjay@February 12, 2005, 4:55 PM
did your check engine light come on.

Curious about this as well, particularly if you are disconnecting/removing the stock actuator drive motor. God knows the ECU loves to throw a fit at every sign of modifications being done. Also, did you say SCT cannot incorporate the new CMP into a tune at this time? Any chance that will change in the near future?

EDIT: Never mind you seem to have answered this already. So it looks like a custom tune will be necessary, at least until the "canned" tunes can catch up will all the available aftermarket mods/combos...
Old 2/12/05, 04:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You guys are killing me with these upgrades and my car is still c/u!
Old 2/12/05, 04:49 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by 2k5pony+February 12, 2005, 5:02 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2k5pony @ February 12, 2005, 5:02 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Vegasjay@February 12, 2005, 4:55 PM

Yes, it came on after only a few minutes. I called my tuner here in town and he said that with the healthy dose of air between the intake and plates that it would. He said it would be nothing he couldn't dial in. That is what makes the programs that you get from SCT or Predator only help to a certain extent. I still think you will never see the real benefit of your mods unless you have a tuner work you a custom tune to meet your exact engines needs
[/b][/quote]

Yah, I'm sure that the CPU freaked out when it saw that actuator unpluged! I will also be having a shop dial in my Diablo. I think that's the only way you'll squeeze every last drop of HP out of this super sensitive computer's. I bet even with out optimizing the tune it still "feel's" great. Thank's for the feed back btw.
Old 2/12/05, 07:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

It looks real nice!! I'll be looking forward to the dyno on Wed.
Old 2/12/05, 07:44 PM
GT Member

Crazy question about the plates. It looks like the holes in the bottom of the intake runners are good size. It looks like the steeda plates are bigger than stock but smaller than the intake. If so can the steeda plates be ported out even more to match the exact size of the intake or maybe a tad smaller to speed up air flow. And why do you even need them at all?
Old 2/12/05, 07:48 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by 2k5pony@February 12, 2005, 4:39 PM
it sounds like it wants to stink the front fender off the car
Yeah, I hate when my car passes gas like that.
Old 2/12/05, 07:59 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Black Magic@February 12, 2005, 8:47 PM
Crazy question about the plates. It looks like the holes in the bottom of the intake runners are good size. It looks like the steeda plates are bigger than stock but smaller than the intake. If so can the steeda plates be ported out even more to match the exact size of the intake or maybe a tad smaller to speed up air flow. And why do you even need them at all?

Look at the pic of the stock vs Steeda CM plates. Inside the stock ones are flaps that open and close to allow a certain amount of air to enter the engine. The computer can restrict the air flow and the Steeda plates eliminate this so no air is restricted. I guess you could consider that to be a reason on why you would "need" them To answer your question on the diameter of the holes in the Steeda plates...they are actually about 1/16 of an inch or so bigger than the upper intake runners, so they already are taking full advantage of all the air flow available.

Quick Reply: c&l intake, pullies, and cm plates installed