GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

C&L Guys

Search this Thread

Old 4/25/05, 04:51 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I installed my C&L intake the engine was hot, therefore I didn't install the supplied bracket. Are you guys using the supplied bracket or going without it?
Old 4/25/05, 05:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by max2000jp@April 25, 2005, 6:54 PM
When I installed my C&L intake the engine was hot, therefore I didn't install the supplied bracket. Are you guys using the supplied bracket or going without it?
You mean the one that bolts to the valve cover? Yeah, it keeps it from moving around. I didn't use the two ties though, to hold the filter basket--just the one bolt in the fender.

John
Old 4/25/05, 05:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With the bracket - definitely makes the whole installation more secure. Couple
additional items worth mentioning. I took the grommet/bolt assembly out of the bracket mounting location in the valve cover as per the instructions. However, I then cut the bolt head off, removed the bolt and put the grommet back in the valve cover. I then purchased a slightly longer bolt & flat washer than the factory grommet assembly was equipped with and firmly mounted the bracket to the valve cover. This procedure makes the mounting bracket more secure because you can tighten the mounting bolt down without breaking the ear off of the valve cover and prevents future valve cover leaks. Additional cost was less than 25 cents and makes the entire installation more secure. Also found the original tube from the valve cover to the C&L inlet pipe was too short. I replaced the plastic tube with a slightly longer piece of 3/8" vacuum hose and put hose clamps on each end. I was concerned the original plastic tube would slip off of the nipple and allow the engine to ingest dirt. Additional cost $2.00.
Old 4/25/05, 07:25 PM
Cobra Member

I used the bracket, made it feel more secure.....
Old 4/25/05, 07:34 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by Vegasjay@April 25, 2005, 8:28 PM
I used the bracket, made it feel more secure.....
Well I guess I got a quick project tomorrow after work. Does the tubing still rest against the radiator hose or is there a slight gap? I bought some insulation to clamp to the radiator hosing to prevent it from heating to intake piping. Right now, my C&L rests gently on the upper radiator hose.
Old 4/25/05, 09:42 PM
Cobra Member

I used a piece of pipe foam and zip tied it to the hose under the C&L tube. Seem's to be working good.
Old 4/26/05, 08:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by tmcolegr@April 25, 2005, 5:24 PM
With the bracket - definitely makes the whole installation more secure. Couple
additional items worth mentioning. I took the grommet/bolt assembly out of the bracket mounting location in the valve cover as per the instructions. However, I then cut the bolt off and put the grommet back in the valve cover. I then purchased a slightly longer bolt than the factory grommet assembly was equipped with and firmly mounted the bracket to the valve cover. This procedure makes the mounting bracket more secure because you can tighten the mounting bolt down without breaking the ear off of the valve cover. Additional cost was less than 25 cents and make the entire installation more secure. Also found the original tube from the valve cover to the C&L inlet pipe was too short. I replaced the plastic tube with a slightly longer piece of 3/8" vacuum hose and put hose clamps on each end. I was concerned the original plastic tube would slip off of the nipple and allow the engine to ingest dirt. Additional cost $2.00.
Use the bracket, if anything shakes loose you'll have a mess.

The bolt will come out of the stock grommet but it's a biotch. You'll need a vice. After the bolt pulls out, file down the lip that locks it in.

The supplied bolt from C&L seems too cheap.