GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

bullit springs

Search this Thread

Old 2/5/11, 04:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bullit springs

I was wondering if anyone know where I can get a set of bullit springs for my car?

Anyone have them on their car? Dow do you like them?

How much am I looking at spending?

Any input at all would be great.
Old 2/6/11, 07:37 AM
Cobra Member

I looked for a couple months and just recently found a used set for my car, but you can get them new from Ford. When I checked at Tousley Ford, they were ~$160 plus shipping.
Old 2/6/11, 10:40 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Doogie
I looked for a couple months and just recently found a used set for my car, but you can get them new from Ford. When I checked at Tousley Ford, they were ~$160 plus shipping.
How do you like the springs? Do they drop the ride much at all?

I just ordered a set of koni sport shocks so if I do decide on getting a set, they will be installed months down the line.

In any case, unless the springs drop the car. I will be getting them.
Old 2/6/11, 10:51 AM
Cobra Member

No feedback with them yet as my car is parked for the winter. But my set-up is identical as I just installed Koni Sports as well. As for the drop, mine still need to settle, but was told they should drop the car less than a 1/2 inch.
Old 2/6/11, 08:58 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Doogie
No feedback with them yet as my car is parked for the winter. But my set-up is identical as I just installed Koni Sports as well. As for the drop, mine still need to settle, but was told they should drop the car less than a 1/2 inch.
that's true - there's not much drop in these springs ...
Old 2/6/11, 11:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by shooterm1
that's true - there's not much drop in these springs ...
Is there much difference in spring rate? Or maybe spring type?

Reason I ask, is because the bullit mustang was one of the best handling cars around. So I suspect the springs are slightly stiffer too without giving up much ground clearance.

Anyone have a part number for the bullitt springs?
Old 2/7/11, 12:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jaguarking11

Is there much difference in spring rate? Or maybe spring type?

Reason I ask, is because the bullit mustang was one of the best handling cars around. So I suspect the springs are slightly stiffer too without giving up much ground clearance.

Anyone have a part number for the bullitt springs?
Well it might be the whole suspension set-up thats been revised a bit? Im nit sure though. I know cobras had an IRS and those handled really well, did the bullit (any gen 2000+) have an IRS as well? Because that and a set of springs would make for one corner carving ride
Old 2/7/11, 01:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Hawaii 5.0
Well it might be the whole suspension set-up thats been revised a bit? Im nit sure though. I know cobras had an IRS and those handled really well, did the bullit (any gen 2000+) have an IRS as well? Because that and a set of springs would make for one corner carving ride
The s197 bullitt mustang was one of the best handling mustangs to date. It still uses a SRA axle, stick axle if you will. The bullitt springs are among some of the things ford engineers changed to make it handle better. The shocks I have on order are koni sport shocks. The springs ideally would be drop springs, but I do not want to give up any ground clearance so the only alternative is bullitt springs.

As for handling, don't really know what you mean by handled well. A 2011 5.0 mustang will hang with the best European sports cars around and it still uses a solid rear. There is nothing wrong with a well sorted IRS setup, however there is nothing wrong with a SRA setup either.

I have a few choice parts to aid in handling besides springs. The biggest difference to date has been the watts link. It really does help keep the rear planted over uneven surfaces.

SO back to topic, anyone know the part numbers for the springs?
Old 2/7/11, 05:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yea sorry for kinda bringin it outta topic. And by handled well i mean how well it handled, like how it did during the slalom, figure 8 courses amd such. The SRA has improved worlds since the sn95 generation, comin outta the factory their ride normally wasnt too badnuntil things got twisty and the roads got bumpy. The new 2010+ have an amazing SRA and can match most cars with an IRS. But yea sorry again for goin off topic haha
Old 2/7/11, 06:16 AM
Cobra Member

Here's the tag numbers from the springs, but when I called Tousley looking for a set, they told me it was only the engineering number. If you call a dealer like Tousley, they have a Bullitt vin on file to look up the actual orderable number.

Fronts 6R33-5310-GA
Rear 5R33-5560-AC

Last edited by Doogie; 2/7/11 at 09:15 AM.
Old 2/7/11, 04:00 PM

Just replaced the suspension on my 08 Bullitt, here are the numbers off of the factory tag on the springs.

Front: SGF 6R33-5310-GA E29EJ
Rear: SAR 5R33-5560-AC E29EJ
Old 2/7/11, 04:29 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Keep in mind the articles and specs show the rear springs were only 6mm lower. According to engineer's comments, that was to help "reduce wheel hop for (coming out of?) cornering."

Also there was a widely reported discrepancy in Bullitt springs later in the run and into 09's. Some said the rear was pretty bouncy and too soft. I have never had any issues like that and love how mine handles 2 lane twisties. My spring codes on my door tag are:

Front GG (4R33-5310-GA), Rear AA (5R33-5560-AA)

Also, the Bullitt improvements carried forward and were enhanced even further.
To refresh your memory, the '10 GT had additional options of Trak Pak I available initially, and then later Trak Pak II would be released. But midstream Ford renamed the Track Pack I to the "3.73 Axle Package". (Note the mags 3.72 error for the column heading. lol )
Attached Thumbnails bullit springs-bullitt-vs-2010-trakpak.jpg  
Old 2/14/11, 11:04 AM
GT Member

If I were you, I'd hold off on the Bullitt springs, and buy the stock springs for the 2010's. Essentially, they are an upgrade to the Bullitt springs, and they are about the same price. In addition, both the stock 2010 and the Track Pack II 2010's use the same springs.
Old 2/15/11, 03:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Im going to talk to sam, I may order what he recomended in the first place. A set of steda sport springs. He said it is a very good combo. Need to call the man so I can have the stuff delivered before the koni shocks.

The only thing set in stone right now is the gt500 strut mounts I already have.