GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Broken hanger on GTA muffler

Search this Thread

Old 10/22/07, 09:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Broken hanger on GTA muffler

Tonight I was cruising along slowly and I heard a tapping and creaking sound. When I got under the ride to check it out, I found that the passenger side rear hanger for my GTA/Supreme mufflers was coming off. It seems the weld has cracked and it is rattling. I got the mufflers from Nino Motorsports, but they are the same as the Ford GTA's. Anybody else have this happen? It looks like I can drag out the MIG welder and just tack it but it is a pain.
Old 10/22/07, 11:46 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would just make the repair myself, this way it is done to your satisfaction.
Old 10/23/07, 12:46 PM
GT Member

I had the exact same problem with mine on both side and after the shop welded them for the 2nd time and they broke again they offered me a full refund torwards any other muffler so I went with Bassani tubes. and I love them-Kudos to Dallas Mustang !
Old 10/23/07, 07:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 06TUNGVERTGT
I had the exact same problem with mine on both side and after the shop welded them for the 2nd time and they broke again they offered me a full refund torwards any other muffler so I went with Bassani tubes. and I love them-Kudos to Dallas Mustang !
That's good and bad news for me. I hope after I weld them up they stay put. I really like the GTA's but if they don't cut it, then I might have to start shopping again.
Old 10/24/07, 05:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Make sure you're using the right material. T-409/T-304 SS requires a different wire material and you should weld it to a similar steel hanger (don't use regular steel).
Old 10/24/07, 09:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Well, I probably should've checked to see what wire I was using, but I just used what I had in the welder. It seems to work so far, but if it pops again, then I will have to swap wire. I dialed down a bit to keep it from over penetrating. I did notice that the tabs that hold the hangers on seem to be just tack welded in a couple of spots. Rather flimsy if you ask me.
Old 11/30/07, 10:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Well, here is another update. I kept hearing another clunking sound in the left rear. I was initially assuming that perhaps I had something loose on the suspension. Crawled under the car today and found another hanger broken, this time on the driver side muffler. It is near impossible to weld on the car so I will have to remove the muffler. I think this time I will remove both and weld all all four hangers properly. This ticks me off and I'm wondering if Ford came out with new muffler options after getting some feedback about the poor hanger quality on the GTA muffler. I bought mine from Nino and am going to send them an e-mail as well.
Old 12/5/07, 06:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Yanked off both mufflers, welded up all four hangers, and painted them with black high temp paint while I was at it. By the way, I e-mailed Nino to let them know. Chuy responded from Nino and said that had I not welded them the first time, they would have replaced them. I didn't sweat it because I didn't want the down time. However, I was impressed with the quick response and offer for replacement by Nino.