GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Does this seem wierd?

Search this Thread

Old 12/4/07, 05:05 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does this seem wierd?

I am trying to buy an xcalibrator from a member of this forum (who will remain nameless for now) and have only communicated via PM. Just when it looks like we have struck a deal he says he won't do paypal, and requests that I use either a money order or cashiers check. He wants me to send him said money order, and then he will send me the tuner. he is relatively new here (less than 100 posts). I tried to reason that COD may be an option and stated that I was not comfortable with sending a money order. I was kinda bummed since he had agreed to ship it out yesterday and then threw me this curveball, and tried to move things along by suggesting that I would look elsewhere for a tuner if we could not wrap the deal up by today. He has not responded since, but I have seen him on, so I am sure he got the message.

I am leary about this kind of thing since I have seen plenty of funky stuff happen on the web.

anybody have any thoughts on this? anybody ever get shafted by another member on this board?
Old 12/4/07, 05:06 PM
Cobra Member

ahh nevermind.... It looks like this dude might be ok after all. but I will leave this post unaltered since it may spark good conversation
Old 12/4/07, 05:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Wow what changed your mind in a minute?
Old 12/4/07, 05:16 PM
Cobra Member

He responded to my 438,000th PM and it looks like it may be cool afterall. Seemed shady to me with the whole money order thing. I am pretty trusting, but stuff has happened lately that makes me think twice about web transactions.
Old 12/4/07, 05:21 PM
Bullitt Member

That's a tough one.... If he had been on here for a long while or if you could find someone who can vouch for him, it wouldn't be so bad. But, I'm like you, to send a total stranger $300 to $400 bucks in certified check or money order kinda makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck.

I have a paypal account, and I really like having it, it makes doing any kind of business over the internet relatively safe..

Sometimes you just have to be trustful when it comes to buying from individuals over the internet... Hope everything works out for you.

Bobby M.
Old 12/4/07, 05:22 PM
Bullitt Member

I know what you mean but I would be leery of anyone not wanting to use PayPal it's the only way I do Business on the Web....
Old 12/4/07, 06:43 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buying is cool for paypal,but they charge you for selling I can see where this might turn people off. If you're not comfortable,don't do it. I have sold before to someone who sent a money order but I trusted him and he trusted me. It worked out but it doesn't always happen that way
Old 12/4/07, 08:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

All I know is, don't send cash to a guy named Boltzman, shady character there. I keed, I keed...
Old 12/4/07, 09:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by azoufan
All I know is, don't send cash to a guy named Boltzman, shady character there. I keed, I keed...
Haha.

Yeah, better to be safe than sorry.
buyer beware.
Old 12/4/07, 09:15 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Yah he just may Bolt for it
Old 12/4/07, 10:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Since we are on the subject of paypal. I have read horror stories of paypal freezing accounts for no reason and that they have been accused of unreasonable business practices. Have any of you guys ever had any problems with them? I haven't given up the consideration of getting an account, just need some reassurance I guess. Thanks.
Old 12/4/07, 10:21 PM
Cobra Member

no trouble here...other than the convenience of being able to get myself in HUGE trouble with my wife for buying stuff....
Old 12/4/07, 10:30 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by GTMark052
Since we are on the subject of paypal. I have read horror stories of paypal freezing accounts for no reason and that they have been accused of unreasonable business practices. Have any of you guys ever had any problems with them? I haven't given up the consideration of getting an account, just need some reassurance I guess. Thanks.
The only problems I have with paypal is the way the percentage ratchets up with the amount of money transferred. I've sold a few items for over 1000.00 and ended up paying paypal almost 100.00 in fees. The fees started going up around the time Ebay bought them. I actually think it's kind of wrong to double charge for a sale when both companies are one in the same. Anyway, that's why I say to figure in your costs when you set a price.

The other problem is how slow they transfer money to the authorized bank account you set up. It's usually 3 to 4 business days and what's really annoying is that unless you set up a transfer anything you buy using paypal comes out of the paypal balance instead of your preferred accounts. THere's no way to change it either they always grab the paypal balance first. I like to transfer money to a business account from paypal sales so having that ripped out of the paypal balance because I forgot to immediately transfer before buying is annoying.

Ultimately I just look at it as the cost of doing business. THey are very secure and I do raise an eyebrow when someone balks at it as a payment method. I'd rather pay a few percentage points and get most of my money than lose everything with an unscrupulous stranger.

Old 12/5/07, 02:40 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by GTMark052
I'm thinking that the reason the nameless guy doesn't want to do paypal has a lot to do with this quote, and that he has been burned a few times by dishonest people who abuse the paypal system by making fraudulent claims in order to keep the merchandise and the money. Just a thought...
Old 12/5/07, 08:03 AM
Cobra Member

This is a good point. Having never been burned by paypal I didn't have this concern. Fortunately the guy turned out to be VERY COOL!
Old 12/5/07, 08:11 AM
GTR Member

Don't make me angry
Old 12/5/07, 09:28 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Boltzman
Don't make me angry
are you the reason djmac is afraid of paypal?
Old 12/5/07, 09:56 AM
FR500 Member

ive had no problems with paypal but maybe im lucky. u never know who ur dealing with on the web and honestly i think ur more than fine on a mustang site. not to say there arent a-holes lurking the forums, but ive done business with a few people here and i couldnt be happier...just be weary of everyone
Old 12/5/07, 02:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Faber,

That's nothing, I sent some funds via paypal to a fellow member thinking the deal was all good and then he turns around and refunds my money for some crazy reason.
I was left only to ponder what’s really going on…………
I really do feel your pain, wanting something so bad only to be delayed.

Sorry man, could not resist!!!!
Old 12/5/07, 04:28 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 8905GT
Faber,

That's nothing, I sent some funds via paypal to a fellow member thinking the deal was all good and then he turns around and refunds my money for some crazy reason.
I was left only to ponder what’s really going on…………
I really do feel your pain, wanting something so bad only to be delayed.

Sorry man, could not resist!!!!
He refunded your money???

Quick Reply: Does this seem wierd?