GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Brenspeed v. Tillman

Search this Thread

Old 1/8/10, 09:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brenspeed v. Tillman

Any major preferrences / distinctions between the Brenspeed and Tillman tunes...?

Thoughts?

Looking to get a CAI / Tune and longtubes in the near future.
Old 1/8/10, 09:56 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

really it just comes down to who you think has the best price. I can be sure of one thing though, you are going to have a lot of people on here say Tillman, Brenspeed, Bamachips, or Evolution Performance (mainly the GT500 and Jon Lund crowd) so it is all going to come down to you.
Old 1/8/10, 10:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

I know most will say they prefer the tuner they bought their tune from, but I guess my question is more as to whether there are in reality any actual differences in the tunes, the styles of the tunes, whether one is tuned more for torque, more for high RPM HP, etc.

I guess I want SOTP response (torque) but not at the cost of all of my high end HP or my fuel mileage.
Old 1/8/10, 10:20 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Try a tillman all out tune, you will be quite surprised with how it feels and runs, they have sick down low torque and still screams up top. never tryed brenspeed but heard good things about them as wellas BBR (just got one from them too), alot of tuners have these cars pretty much dialed in at this point, it's more like who puts the power where.
Old 1/8/10, 10:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Right. I spend most of my time down low so I definitely want to maximize my torque effect, especially with the LT headers, but I don't want to totally give up the high RPM HP either. There's got to be a tune that optimizes everything...
Old 1/8/10, 11:38 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

honestly i bought my XCal2 from Bamachips but once i tried a tillman tune i was hooked. I felt the tillman tune had more torque and i was able to chirp the tires through 2 and the first part of third on an Automatic mind you. In the future i plan to buy my XCal3 and Whipple from CR at Tillman.
Old 1/8/10, 11:39 PM
Bullitt Member

I had a brenspeed 91 tune and it felt the same as stock down low and faster up top, switched to a tillman 91 all out and it feels stronger down low and i didnt notice any change up top from the brenspeed. Tillman had a little more sensitive throttle too, not nearly as touchy as a Bama race tune though.
Old 1/9/10, 07:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can speak for Bamachips, as I had a 91 race tune for a CAI and CMDP. The race tune is very touchy as the above poster mentioned, but it sure was a lot of fun. Highly recommended.
Old 1/9/10, 08:02 AM
Bullitt Member

At first after I got my motor built from Tillman they put the equivalent of their all out tune in (dyno tune but pedal response of all out tune) and I was not fond of the sensitivity of the pedal and I had C.R. change it to the equivalent of their performance tune and that worked well for me. I guess the issue is that I had a spec 3+ clutch put in which is rather on/off and with a sensitive pedal it was a royal pain in the ****. I suspect with an auto it would be real nice though.
Old 1/9/10, 08:48 AM
GT Member

I have an Auto and my Brenspeed 91 race tune is awesome, great throttle response, firm fast shifting, back in your seat fun, great MPG's, like having a brand new car, great product and customer service, I highly recommend
Old 1/9/10, 12:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Take a look at VMP Tuning, they are local to you and one of the best tuners around.

www.VMPTuning.com
Old 1/9/10, 01:13 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by NastyStang113
Take a look at VMP Tuning, they are local to you and one of the best tuners around.

www.VMPTuning.com
+1... Also Evolution, Lund, and BamaChips. As far as CAIs... JLT is the best IMO (best gains). JLT also provides tunes for their CAI... Evo.
Old 1/9/10, 01:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am currently running a Eric Brooks tune (brooksspeed) and have used brenspeed and bamachips. His is a nice all round performance tune that doesn'r seem to have any flat spots.
Old 1/10/10, 07:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks all. I wound up going with Tillman. Chris was very helpful. Now just waiting for boxes..

Old 1/10/10, 01:58 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by futuresvt
Thanks all. I wound up going with Tillman. Chris was very helpful. Now just waiting for boxes..

Old 1/10/10, 02:16 PM
Cobra R Member

Brenspeed has great customer service to go along with a tune that competes with the tillmanspeed tunes. That won me over, if you ever need anything you know they will always help you out.
Old 1/10/10, 06:09 PM
Cobra Member

Tillman FTW!
Old 1/10/10, 07:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
I am currently running a Eric Brooks tune (brooksspeed) and have used brenspeed and bamachips. His is a nice all round performance tune that doesn'r seem to have any flat spots.
Ditto. I've run Bama, Brenspeed and Tillman and the BrooksSpeed tune is by far the best. The others have throttle response that is a contrived effort to make the car "feel" faster. Fun at first, but useless on a road course or if you are into driving the car in the twisties. The Tillman tune felt like it was at WOT by 1/2 pedal travel. Just silly unless all you care about is the 1/4 mile.

The Brooks tune is just as strong, but the throttle feel, idle, etc... are how the car should have come from the factory. Just another opinion.
Old 1/12/10, 04:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Import-Slaya
Ditto. I've run Bama, Brenspeed and Tillman and the BrooksSpeed tune is by far the best. The others have throttle response that is a contrived effort to make the car "feel" faster. Fun at first, but useless on a road course or if you are into driving the car in the twisties. The Tillman tune felt like it was at WOT by 1/2 pedal travel. Just silly unless all you care about is the 1/4 mile.

The Brooks tune is just as strong, but the throttle feel, idle, etc... are how the car should have come from the factory. Just another opinion.
+2 on Brooks tune although I do have Bama 91 race loaded in my car right now. It was the last tune I used at the 1/8 mile. Just in case anyone is wondering, there is not a significant difference in E.T or MPH among Bama's 91 race, 91 tq and Brooksspeed 91. It mostly comes down to the driver.
Old 1/12/10, 04:44 PM
Team Mustang Source

I vote for Brenspeed. I just installed a Ford Racing Throttle Body and Bullitt Intake that was purchased from them. After loading the tune, "Failsafe Engine Mode" appeared in the message center. I called Brenspeed and spoke to Dave Bachota. In less than 15 minutes he was able to determine that it was a dealer re-flash that was causing the problem. He promptly wrote a tune with the correct strategy and now it runs just as it should.

A wide selection of products and tremendous customer service makes them #1 in my book. I just wish I had more money to spend! If I did I would get Brenspeed on the phone.

Jon

Quick Reply: Brenspeed v. Tillman