GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Brenspeed question v. Vortec S/C base kit

Search this Thread

Old 1/3/09, 10:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brenspeed question v. Vortec S/C base kit

I've been milling over a supercharger for some time and just can't justify the money for something I drive only a few times a week. However lately I've been tempted by a few of my Mustang buddies into getting a supercharger.

One buddy on the forum suggested the Brenspeed Vortec kit.

My question I guess is, can I get the kit minus the SCT tuner considering I already have one sitting in my trunk. I would only need the tune to upload once I finished the install.

The base kit is 3799$.

Sorry, it's been a while since I've been on the forum so I don't know who at Brenspeed I can contact regarding this question. I don't want to just email them just off the site. I 'd like to talk/email someone specific if you know what I mean.

I'm curious how much they would take off the kit if I didn't need the tuner, which could push me over the edge to purchase.

If you know who I can contact regarding this that would be great.

Opinions on this kit would also be greatly appreciated.

respectfully,
Jake
Old 1/3/09, 10:54 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I can't speak directly for Brenspeed, but I bought the basic Vortech blower system from another vender last year and the tuner was part of the deal from Vortech, not the specific vendor I bought the kit from. I already had the same tuner, so I asked the same question, but no discount (from Vortech or the vendor) to leave out the tuner I didn't need. I ended up selling the extra tuner on craigslist.org to get back the "extra" money spent.

I, too, paid just over $3700, and it was the best spent mod money ever! You'll love the car after the Vortech goes on, just be sure to get a custom dyno tune to maximize power and safety.
Old 1/3/09, 10:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ok.. I didn't know if that was from Vortec or not. I've never purchased a supercharger/turbocharger and needed a tuner.

I've had a aftermarket turbo in a previous car and it was the best 3200$ I ever spent. Of coarse that was just the beginning of the next level of spending. Built block/bottom end etc..

I'll have to ponder it some more before I jump. I need to see how much cash I have at the end of this month and then I might be convinced that half cash and half charge/loan might be feasable.

thanks for the info.
jake
Old 1/4/09, 12:21 AM
Cobra R Member

Come on...you know you want it....
Old 1/4/09, 07:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 06GTwJUICE
I've been milling over a supercharger for some time and just can't justify the money for something I drive only a few times a week. However lately I've been tempted by a few of my Mustang buddies into getting a supercharger.

One buddy on the forum suggested the Brenspeed Vortec kit.

My question I guess is, can I get the kit minus the SCT tuner considering I already have one sitting in my trunk. I would only need the tune to upload once I finished the install.

The base kit is 3799$.

Sorry, it's been a while since I've been on the forum so I don't know who at Brenspeed I can contact regarding this question. I don't want to just email them just off the site. I 'd like to talk/email someone specific if you know what I mean.

I'm curious how much they would take off the kit if I didn't need the tuner, which could push me over the edge to purchase.

If you know who I can contact regarding this that would be great.

Opinions on this kit would also be greatly appreciated.

respectfully,
Jake
Good Morning Jake,
Well, I just ordered this kit from Brenspeed last week. And while this is what they did for me, your mileage may vary. I dealt with Seth on the purchase....

Since I already have and XCal2, and did not need the X3, they knocked off 200 bucks from the price of the kit. In addition, since I paid with cash, (Cashiers check) they also offered another 100 dollars off....So, all told, 300 dollar discount, which in my case, paid for the polished upgrade to the blower....

The Brenspeed part of the kit, i.e. KB boost a pump, plugs, injectors, AIT relocation kit, will ship directly from Brenspeed. He will also then E Mail the tune to you. The head unit, etc. will ship directly from Vortech.....

Hope this helps. I expect to have all my parts by the end of next week.....

Mike
Old 1/4/09, 07:51 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

How hard was it to install this unit yourself? Can a guy with basic mechanical ability do it or do you really need to know what your doing?
Old 1/4/09, 09:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

I think a mechanic with a good tool set and understanding of basic mechanics can do this.

My first real mod on my last car was a turbo kit and it went into a car that was never designed for a turbo/supercharger. It took me significantly longer than say a shop with experience but I wanted to do it myself. Two weeks later I had a 350whp car.

I looked through the instructions for the kit last night and there's nothing that is complicated or difficult. Someone with basic skills should be able to accomplish this in a weekend first time out.

I do all my own work on my car and I expect it to take a good solid day. I don't have a grider so the tab removal might be a problem for me but I can borrow one from a buddy.
Old 1/4/09, 09:56 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by Got Oatz
Good Morning Jake,
Well, I just ordered this kit from Brenspeed last week. And while this is what they did for me, your mileage may vary. I dealt with Seth on the purchase....

Since I already have and XCal2, and did not need the X3, they knocked off 200 bucks from the price of the kit. In addition, since I paid with cash, (Cashiers check) they also offered another 100 dollars off....So, all told, 300 dollar discount, which in my case, paid for the polished upgrade to the blower....

The Brenspeed part of the kit, i.e. KB boost a pump, plugs, injectors, AIT relocation kit, will ship directly from Brenspeed. He will also then E Mail the tune to you. The head unit, etc. will ship directly from Vortech.....

Hope this helps. I expect to have all my parts by the end of next week.....

Mike
Everyone's getting blown but me.

Congrats Mike! That's awesome.
Old 1/4/09, 11:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Everyone's getting blown but me.

Congrats Mike! That's awesome.
Thanks. Yeah, I am excited about it. But I have been working toward it since last year at bonus time. Last year, family came first, as it should. This year, Daddy sold back 80 hours of vacation to assure said purchase......

Thanks again,
Mike
Old 1/4/09, 06:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm goint to wait two weeks and see how much I have this friday payday left over. I should have about 1500 cash and then charge the rest. Other than a vacume/boost gauge.. is there any little things I should get with it?

I've been down this road and thats a loaded question even if I answer the question for myself.

Is the boostapump really a good solution or is it a bandaid?

In the past I used a vortec FMU and an inline pump to raise the fuel pressure and that worked but it seemed to me like a bandaid.
Old 1/4/09, 10:50 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
By sure to get a good set of copper core spark plugs that are 1 (or even 2) heat ranges colder than stock. Brisk, Champion, FRPP all make colder plugs specifically for forced induction. I went with FRPP's 3V0 copper plugs and the car runs way better than it did with the crappy stock platinum plugs. Copper conducts electricity way better than platinum, but they don't last as long, so you'll get better performance but will want to replace them yearly.
Old 1/5/09, 08:17 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Is the boostapump really a good solution or is it a bandaid?
The KB BAP does what it's supposed to do at a reasonable price. The GT500 pumps are better, but come at a premium price.

The 2 most important pieces of advice I can offer are;
Be sure to hookup the BAP as directed.
Get the car dyno tuned or at the very least, get the provided tune validated on a dyno.

Ignoring one or both of the above will result in venting your block. I know.
Old 1/5/09, 09:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
The KB BAP does what it's supposed to do at a reasonable price. The GT500 pumps are better, but come at a premium price.

Get the car dyno tuned or at the very least, get the provided tune validated on a dyno.

Bill,
So, since I am right on the edge of installation here, I want to verify if I may. Hooking up the BAP as directed would be as you show in your How to, correct?....Also, do those same correct instructions come with the BAP as delivered from Brenspeed??

Thanks Bill,
Mike
Old 1/5/09, 09:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill

Sorry to hear about it Bill.

I met you a couple weeks ago at the carshow just off 5/605 freeway. I was with Rebel73 (Rob) but didn't really say anything aside from Hi.

Looking at so many s/c'd cars there it got the bug in me and then Rob found this brenspeed deal and it was all downhill from there.

I'll hook everything up correctly and the first time but wanted to make sure it did the job and wasn't a bandaid.

I assume the 39lb injectors handle any boost you see when not at WOT? According to the flyer the KB BAP just works at WOT but brenspeed has modded them to work at 0psi (naturally aspirated) and 3psi (supercharged).

I'm not a WOT to the next stop light kinda guy but I do enjoy a burst of acceleration every now and again.
Old 1/5/09, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Got Oatz
Bill,
So, since I am right on the edge of installation here, I want to verify if I may. Hooking up the BAP as directed would be as you show in your How to, correct?....Also, do those same correct instructions come with the BAP as delivered from Brenspeed??
Correct. In my 'How-To', I also attached a pic of the Brenspeed provided hook-up illustration.

Brenspeed does not provide any written instructions outside of that illustration.
The BAP does include some ridiculous 5 or 6 page handout from KB that has nothing to do with installing it in our S197 cars.

Note: Even though included in the kit, Brenspeed does not recommend hooking up the boost activation switch, but to bypass it alltogether (and set the dial to MAX, allowing the computer to regulate the fuel pressure).
Old 1/5/09, 09:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Bill...

On the day of install, if your not doing anything.. what are the odds of getting you to swing by and just hang out and observe? Pizza and homebrew are on me...

No wrenching required just advice and company. Rebel73 (Rob) will be there to help me with manual labor if needed.

thanks
jake
Old 1/5/09, 09:45 AM

I met you a couple weeks ago at the carshow just off 5/605 freeway. I was with Rebel73 (Rob) but didn't really say anything aside from Hi.

I assume the 39lb injectors handle any boost you see when not at WOT?
Yeah, I remember you!

I've met and talked to Rob on and off for at least a couple years.

In our boost levels, I don't know anyone that has/had any issues with the 39# injectors.

On the day of install, if your not doing anything.. what are the odds of getting you to swing by and just hang out and observe? Pizza and homebrew are on me...
PM sent. Pizza & Beer is always a winning combo!
Old 1/5/09, 09:46 AM
Cobra R Member

Bill...

No wrenching required just advice and company. Rebel73 (Rob) will be there to help me with manual labor if needed.

thanks
jake
Sure, Jake, I'll be your workhorse. Then you can return the favor when it comes time to throw in my forged internals! 600rwhp
Old 1/5/09, 09:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

I think we should do both bottom ends at the same time.. LOL
Old 1/5/09, 10:04 AM
Cobra R Member

I think we should do both bottom ends at the same time.. LOL
dude, that sounda kinda :gay:

ha ha

Quick Reply: Brenspeed question v. Vortec S/C base kit