GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Is this brembo upgrade kit a good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 11/12/08, 09:28 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is this brembo upgrade kit a good deal?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GT500...mZ280144950292

Looking to get some bigger brakes and this looks like a good deal to me. thanks guys
Old 11/12/08, 10:43 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe that you have to run Shelby wheels in order for them to clear the calipers.
Old 11/12/08, 11:14 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by touring
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GT500...mZ280144950292

Looking to get some bigger brakes and this looks like a good deal to me. thanks guys
Not a bad price, but you can get it from a non-ebay seller for the same price and probably not pay shipping or worry about getting ripped-off in one form or another.

As mentioned, you would need wheels that will accommodate the calipers. Factory GT500 work, I'm pretty sure Shelby and Steeda will as well.
Old 11/12/08, 12:07 PM
Cobra Member

I'll be selling mine shortly, so I can hook you up with a good deal if you want. I maybe have like 1000 miles on them..... Their really nice, but I want to go BIGGER! PM me.
Old 11/12/08, 02:58 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by jasongt06
I believe that you have to run Shelby wheels in order for them to clear the calipers.
I have Razors but are you sure about this ??? So im good right ??? Does anyone know for sure ???
Old 11/12/08, 03:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Don't buy it! That is not even a good price to start with. Tousley Ford sells it for $1200 last time when I bought it. The gt500 rotors weight a ton. Being that it weights so much, it will hurt performance. Go with a 2 piece rotor brake kit, it is well worth it. The gt500 kit is built by brembo for Ford on a low cost objective. If a gasket were to leak or a problem were to occur there is no replacement parts for the caliper. You would have to buy new calipers. Also the calipers size is odd in shape and doesn't fit many wheels. If I were you I would buy baer 6s 6 piston kit on ebay for $2300. That is the best bang for your buck. Stoptech also has a good kit but it is overpriced. $2600+ for a 4 pot caliper. Go with the baer kit. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Baer-...1%7C240%3A1318

also I found this on ebay. this guy is a joke for sell the exact same kit above used for starting bid of $2000. Also said he bought the kit for $3800.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-Fo...1%7C240%3A1318

Last edited by buffguy; 11/12/08 at 03:48 PM.
Old 11/12/08, 04:52 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Kinda of pricey. I know there are vendors and shops who sell at that price if not lower. I have the Brembo brakes on my GT. I paid just over $500 for my set which were take off's. I love the added braking they gave especially for what I paid for them. At $1400 I'd look at other options.

Originally Posted by buffguy
Don't buy it! That is not even a good price to start with. Tousley Ford sells it for $1200 last time when I bought it. The gt500 rotors weight a ton. Being that it weights so much, it will hurt performance. Go with a 2 piece rotor brake kit, it is well worth it. The gt500 kit is built by brembo for Ford on a low cost objective. If a gasket were to leak or a problem were to occur there is no replacement parts for the caliper. You would have to buy new calipers. Also the calipers size is odd in shape and doesn't fit many wheels. If I were you I would buy baer 6s 6 piston kit on ebay for $2300. That is the best bang for your buck. Stoptech also has a good kit but it is overpriced. $2600+ for a 4 pot caliper. Go with the baer kit. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Baer-...1%7C240%3A1318

also I found this on ebay. this guy is a joke for sell the exact same kit above used for starting bid of $2000. Also said he bought the kit for $3800.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-Fo...1%7C240%3A1318
The rotors are heavier, but a rotor this size is bound to be. Do you know how much weight you even save going to a 2 piece rotor? Its not THAT much, maybe 5lbs give or take. I wont upgrade my rotors to 2 piece because its outrageous premium and the weight savings will hardly be noticed by the average driver.

Now it is true that you can't rebuild these brakes. I don't think a DD has anything to worry about, you wont ever max these brakes out on the street

Why does anyone need 6 piston brakes if you don't road course? Lol heck why does anyone need over just the std 2 pistons. I already consider these 4 piston brakes overkill for DD use. I personally upgraded to fill in my 20" rims. Baer has a nice 2 piston brake system which is far better then our stock set-up. I wouldn't worry too much about the # of pistons.

If I wouldn't have gotten the great deal I got on my brakes I would have looked into AP Racing 4 piston brakes. That or StopTech. They both have some great packages for our cars.
Old 11/12/08, 05:57 PM
Cobra Member

Don't buy it! That is not even a good price to start with. Tousley Ford sells it for $1200 last time when I bought it. The gt500 rotors weight a ton. Being that it weights so much, it will hurt performance. Go with a 2 piece rotor brake kit, it is well worth it. The gt500 kit is built by brembo for Ford on a low cost objective. If a gasket were to leak or a problem were to occur there is no replacement parts for the caliper. You would have to buy new calipers. Also the calipers size is odd in shape and doesn't fit many wheels. If I were you I would buy baer 6s 6 piston kit on ebay for $2300. That is the best bang for your buck. Stoptech also has a good kit but it is overpriced. $2600+ for a 4 pot caliper. Go with the baer kit.
If you're going Baer and want lighter and cheaper, check out their new 6P system -- haven't seen it at the regular retailers but they're available direct from Baer for $1900. You can get matching 14" 2 piece rear rotors around $575 from LMPerformance or on EBay.

http://www.baer.com/announcements/20080627/index.php

Old 11/12/08, 05:59 PM
Cobra Member

I PMed you.
Old 11/12/08, 08:18 PM
Cobra Member

PM replied
Old 11/12/08, 10:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by JonCo
Kinda of pricey. I know there are vendors and shops who sell at that price if not lower. I have the Brembo brakes on my GT. I paid just over $500 for my set which were take off's. I love the added braking they gave especially for what I paid for them. At $1400 I'd look at other options.

The rotors are heavier, but a rotor this size is bound to be. Do you know how much weight you even save going to a 2 piece rotor? Its not THAT much, maybe 5lbs give or take. I wont upgrade my rotors to 2 piece because its outrageous premium and the weight savings will hardly be noticed by the average driver.

Now it is true that you can't rebuild these brakes. I don't think a DD has anything to worry about, you wont ever max these brakes out on the street

Why does anyone need 6 piston brakes if you don't road course? Lol heck why does anyone need over just the std 2 pistons. I already consider these 4 piston brakes overkill for DD use. I personally upgraded to fill in my 20" rims. Baer has a nice 2 piston brake system which is far better then our stock set-up. I wouldn't worry too much about the # of pistons.

If I wouldn't have gotten the great deal I got on my brakes I would have looked into AP Racing 4 piston brakes. That or StopTech. They both have some great packages for our cars.
I don't know but when I bought the gt500 kit, the rotors are massively heavy. I think they might weight even more than 5 lbs. After I installed my stoptech brakes, I couldn't tell the difference from that and stock driving on the streets. I think for Big brake kits for street is just for the looks.
Old 11/12/08, 11:53 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I don't know but when I bought the gt500 kit, the rotors are massively heavy. I think they might weight even more than 5 lbs. After I installed my stoptech brakes, I couldn't tell the difference from that and stock driving on the streets. I think for Big brake kits for street is just for the looks.
I meant ~5lbs from the standard 1 pc rotors vs 2 pc rotors. Weight savings. I could tell the difference. I have 20" rims and braking is much more responsive.