GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Breaking an Engine In

Search this Thread

Old 12/7/05, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am getting the 06 GT that I ordered in a couple of weeks, and I have heard a lot of opinions from friends about breaking in the engine. The problem is that I am supposed to take delivery of the car on Dec 22, and I am travelling for the holidays. Is that a bad idea? Should the engine be broken in with normal driving rather than highway driving? What have you guys done to break in your ponies?
Old 12/7/05, 08:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Just vary your engines rpm frequently for the first 1000 miles. If on the interstate then avoid using the cruise control.
Old 12/7/05, 08:55 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As Terry said just vary your rpms as much as you can and as long as you are at operating temperature don't be affraid to rev it up some.
Old 12/7/05, 09:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Ryan is right, these engines are strong and need to stretch their legs every once in a while. The on ramps, off ramps and rest areas are a good place to do this if you do have to be on the interstate alot. Congratulations! and enjoy you new Mustang Tom!!
Old 12/7/05, 09:45 AM
Cobra Member

Here's a link that I thought was pretty interesting. It was posted by Rendosa (Kristina).
Something to look at, and apply to your situation however you want, or can.
Break-in Secrets
Old 12/7/05, 10:13 AM
Bullitt Member

I jumped on mine from day 1, and had it at the track with 300 miles on her.
Old 12/7/05, 10:42 AM
9 is not my lucky number.

Drive it like you stole it

Originally posted by bigaloz@December 7, 2005, 12:16 PM
I jumped on mine from day 1, and had it at the track with 300 miles on her.
That's a proper way to break your car in
Old 12/7/05, 11:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Indystang@December 7, 2005, 11:35 AM
Just vary your engines rpm frequently for the first 1000 miles. If on the interstate then avoid using the cruise control.
I second that. I drove mine from Detroit to Atlanta after I took delivery (roughly 750 miles). Change your speed every now and then and don't use the cruise control.

I did this and have not had one engine problem or concern after 15k miles.
Old 12/7/05, 01:20 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by clintoris@December 7, 2005, 10:48 AM
Here's a link that I thought was pretty interesting. It was posted by Rendosa (Kristina).
Something to look at, and apply to your situation however you want, or can.
Break-in Secrets

I follwed that procedure when I broke my car in. I could feel a difference in power within the first 100 miles or less.

Before I picked up my car, I had test drove three other 05 GTs (two autos and a manual). My car felt about the same as the other three cars (the manual cars definitely feel a bit stronger than the auto cars) when it was brand new, but by the end of the break in, there was no doubt in my mind that my car pulled harder and quicker. I figured it was all in my head.

My brother had drove two of the other GTs (one auto and one manual). He also commented that my car felt just like the other manual car the day we picked it up but after a couple hundred miles, it definitely was stronger than the other cars.

It also seems like it takes a while for the car to FULLY break in. I have a bit over 11000 miles on my car now and the power has definitely been increasing (seat of the pants). The fuel economy is STILL going up. I have a log of every single fill up except for two and it has creeped up from a low of mid 17s to the mid 19s (in my commute. Not on the highway) now. I'm sure that is related to the other parts (tranny gear meshes, ring and pinion) getting worn in as well.
Old 12/7/05, 02:39 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by RRRoamer@December 7, 2005, 2:23 PM
I follwed that procedure when I broke my car in. I could feel a difference in power within the first 100 miles or less.

Before I picked up my car, I had test drove three other 05 GTs (two autos and a manual). My car felt about the same as the other three cars (the manual cars definitely feel a bit stronger than the auto cars) when it was brand new, but by the end of the break in, there was no doubt in my mind that my car pulled harder and quicker. I figured it was all in my head.

My brother had drove two of the other GTs (one auto and one manual). He also commented that my car felt just like the other manual car the day we picked it up but after a couple hundred miles, it definitely was stronger than the other cars.

It also seems like it takes a while for the car to FULLY break in. I have a bit over 11000 miles on my car now and the power has definitely been increasing (seat of the pants). The fuel economy is STILL going up. I have a log of every single fill up except for two and it has creeped up from a low of mid 17s to the mid 19s (in my commute. Not on the highway) now. I'm sure that is related to the other parts (tranny gear meshes, ring and pinion) getting worn in as well.
Right on RRRoamer. Good to hear the testimony... this is the way I plan to work mine in when I get it in February.

I graduated from Cibola, by the way.
Old 12/7/05, 04:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have always broke my cars in on the hard side and have never had any problems from any of them. That's my vote!
Old 12/7/05, 06:50 PM
Bullitt Member

During your travels, make sure you take advantage of those On Ramps!
Old 12/7/05, 06:57 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Drive it Like You Stole It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12/7/05, 06:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

I caned mine from the get-go.

I'm also collecting oil samples for oil analysis. As long as I see the indicators of break-in/engine wear level off, I will switch to synthetic at 10,000 miles.
Old 12/7/05, 07:05 PM
I Have Admin Envy

At the very minimum, follow the procedures in the owner's manual.

Things I did in addition
- I didn't hammer the gas until the engine was up to temp and the oil was nice and hot.
- I varied my speed on the highways, I sometimes dropped from 5th to 3rd to wind the engine up then let off the throttle.
Old 12/7/05, 09:36 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One HUGE advantage of the "power cycling" (if you will) break in method: You get to NAIL it right off the dealers lot! I know when I pulled off the lot the first time I left strips!

None of this "wait 3000 miles" before you get to see what it can do. Not for me at any rate!
Old 12/8/05, 12:45 AM
Cobra Member

I think you guys are confusing "proper" break-in results with the computer just learning your driving habits. These engines are already "broken in" by the time you take delivery. Any little differences you notice in mileage or power without modifications is pretty much your imagination. Even with receipts and MPG logging that shows otherwise doesnt prove the other point. You probably never drive with your foot into it the same way each and every day.

If you want to make claims about increases in the above over time put your car into a lab and have real techs make claims.

You guys can believe what you want about modular engine break in procedures. If you want to stomp on it from day 1 by taking it straight to the track, go right ahead, youre fine. If you want to baby it for however many miles, thats fine too but a bit unneccessary IMO.

It would be funny if you declined to a street race with the comment "I cant right now cause Im breaking in my motor, maybe a rain check?"

-Dan
Old 12/8/05, 01:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Cleveland@December 8, 2005, 1:48 AM
I think you guys are confusing "proper" break-in results with the computer just learning your driving habits. These engines are already "broken in" by the time you take delivery. Any little differences you notice in mileage or power without modifications is pretty much your imagination. Even with receipts and MPG logging that shows otherwise doesnt prove the other point. You probably never drive with your foot into it the same way each and every day.

If you want to make claims about increases in the above over time put your car into a lab and have real techs make claims.

You guys can believe what you want about modular engine break in procedures. If you want to stomp on it from day 1 by taking it straight to the track, go right ahead, youre fine. If you want to baby it for however many miles, thats fine too but a bit unneccessary IMO.

It would be funny if you declined to a street race with the comment "I cant right now cause Im breaking in my motor, maybe a rain check?"

-Dan
I agree with you mostly, but I still would probably not push my car WOT before 1000. I only went WOT ONCE before hitting 1000 miles, but I didn't baby it. And I usually stayed below 4-5000rpm.
Old 12/8/05, 05:27 AM
GT Member

Hit it hard but keep off the red line. Got to seat the rings before the crosshatch gets worn down.
Old 12/8/05, 10:43 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I did the "full load break in" method too. I've got 6,000 miles on it and she's running strong! Well, she would be running strong if she wasn't put to bed for the winter.

Quick Reply: Breaking an Engine In