GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Brakes and Rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 4/3/11, 11:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brakes and Rotors?

Aright. I had a thread about this once before but after searching and reading other threads I can't seem to find the best way to go when it comes to brakes and rotors.

I know I need brakes and last night confirmed it when I blew the doors off a Mazda 3 hatch and a infiniti..(scuffing up the very edge of my gt500 wheels but wasnt bad) after that I went to stop and it was the brakes were terrible. I have had my care since April 2010 and I know I wear brakes down.

I was looking at EBC's but heard many up and down opinions on this forum. I did read that the rear brakes and rotors stock are more then fine for street and track.

As for the front I don't know what to do. I want to get cross drilled/slotted rotors just for the look and I need quality brake pads since I am modding my car heavily and squeezing out the hp. ( very intrested on using my tax return on the polished vortech supercharger on American muscle because its now $3000 or cnc ported heads with the jlt 110mm CAI)

In any case I need to changes the brakes soon and I don't want to spend a lot of money on these fancy kits when I know I dont have too.

Some options for myself are:

Buying the powerstop brake kit from stage3motorsports (tried researching and did not end up with much)

Buy new front slotted rotors and brake pads and replacing rears with stock brakes. ( ebc's and hawks are the only ones I have been looking so far)

Just replacing everything with stock components from newtakeoff.com. (cheapest way to go but dont know if the stocks are good enough for the cars set up now)

I know this is probably been talked about to death but I have no idea where to go with this one. I am installing the pypes off road x-pipe and also camshafts soon so I want to have the brakes done before that.

Thank you guys for all your help.
Old 4/3/11, 01:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Don't drop the coin on the New Takeoff rotors. The price of them plus shipping charges will be a little less than better rotors.

I got my front rotors from Napa, they were about $100 a piece. They have a few different quality levels, the higher ones are made to higher tolerances for lateral runout than most other off the shelf rotors.

Next time I'm going to try the Power Slots. Look them up at TireRack. I've heard many good things about them.

As for pads... ask 20 people and you'll get 25 suggestions. EBC is good, as are Hawks. Do your reading, some only start to work really well when they get hot (ie, not street use).

I highly suggest getting slotted rotors and ignoring drilled. Drilled rotors can crack.

Get a set of ss brake lines, the Goodridges are great. Replace your brake fluid. Those two things alone will do wonders for your confidence in your brakes.

Also, deals like these do hit ebay every so often and are worth checking out.

Just make sure your wheels will fit.

Good luck, do your research and people here will step in to help with what I've left out.
Old 4/3/11, 02:20 PM
Bullitt Member

I have hawk pads and powerslot rotors on the front and rear of my car. I know that i didnt need to do the back but i caught an amazing deal doing a whole package. I have to say i definately stop better now than i ever did on stock rotors and pads. Definately research what you are thinking about getting though. I definately suggest slotted rotors as well
Old 4/3/11, 03:11 PM

I got Stillen cross drilled & slotted rotors & Hawk street/track pads from Stillen.com they stop a lil better than stock rotors I think. I wanna say I paid 300-350 shipped.
Attached Images  
Old 4/3/11, 04:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thank you guys for everything this is def helping ... I am going to go to the track every so often so I want pretty good brakes... I like ebcs but I heard them and hawks create a lot of dust .... I have 18" gt500 wheels

Also dixie I added that brembo kit my watch list haha that would deff be worth it

Last edited by mptant913; 4/3/11 at 04:14 PM.
Old 4/3/11, 04:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have the Hawk HPS pads and do get more dust than the stock pads... but not very much more (definitely less than my BMWs used to give me) and washes off easily.
Old 4/4/11, 08:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

HHHMMM.....shouldnt you pick on someone your own size?? Blowing off the doors of a Mazda 3 hatch

BTW, the Vortechs are all gone at AM.....I tried to get one myself but they were all sold in a matter of a few hours.
Old 4/5/11, 12:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Haha yea well they deserved it... I always drive a little slow usually but the daddys infiniti almost ran me off the road trying to go around someone that's why I scraped my rim lip for no reason and then the mazda was annoying me so I had to teach him a lesson..... never again though I hate dragging in the streets cause of cops and the welfare of my life and car

That sucks I wish I could of gotten that deal on AM it would of been perfect but we will see in due time.. im going to need brakes anyways and a new CAI so that has to come first

Last edited by mptant913; 4/5/11 at 12:46 PM.
Old 4/7/11, 04:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Powerslot rotors and Hawk HPS pads with stainless lines and dot4 fluid FTW!
Old 4/8/11, 02:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Womprat
Powerslot rotors and Hawk HPS pads with stainless lines and dot4 fluid FTW!
What is ftw?
Old 4/8/11, 03:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mptant913
What is ftw?
Google "ftw" gave me...
Urban Dictionary: ftw
7 posts - 3 authors - Last post: Nov 18, 2007
"For The Win." An enthusiastic emphasis to the end of a comment, message, or post. Sometimes genuine, but often sarcastic.
Old 4/8/11, 03:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Enfynet
Google "ftw" gave me...
I always known it as x.x.x.k the world haha that's why I was confused

Last edited by 05stangkc; 4/9/11 at 05:20 AM.
Old 4/8/11, 04:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think you're confusing it with the teen saying "fml" or f my life...
Old 4/11/11, 06:04 PM
Bullitt Member

You've had the car since April 2010 and you think you need brakes already? Do you pull the emergency brake at each stop sign or red light? Or do you put 50,000 miles a year on the car.

If your brakes truly have problems, I would be taking the car back into the dealer for a new set under warranty. I didn't replace mine until they were 5 years old and had 50,000 miles on them.
Old 4/11/11, 09:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by TKEUofM
You've had the car since April 2010 and you think you need brakes already? Do you pull the emergency brake at each stop sign or red light? Or do you put 50,000 miles a year on the car.

If your brakes truly have problems, I would be taking the car back into the dealer for a new set under warranty. I didn't replace mine until they were 5 years old and had 50,000 miles on them.
He has a 2008. Brake and rotor wear aren't covered by a warranty.
Old 4/12/11, 09:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by TKEUofM

Its a 2008
I bought the car used at 30k miles it was driven nice and practically new. I drive a mustang not a prius. I also live in ny city area stop and go traffic.