GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Brake line / fluid questions?

Search this Thread

Old 1/23/10, 01:37 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Brake line / fluid questions?

What type of SS brake lines do you recommend?

What type and how much brake fluid when flushing the system?

Mainly a street car with maybe one track day a year.
Old 1/23/10, 03:24 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I am no expert, and I just did this mod.

I went with Goodridge stainless lines, everything was in the kit.

I also went with the ATE Super Blue brake fluid. Mainly because it was recommended by others, bit also it is blue and when I replaced the old fluid with this I could see exactly when the old fluid was done comng out of the bleeder and when the new blue fluid was coming out.

Also got a Motive bleeder system to make it an easy one man job.

All in all it was quite easy and quick. Easler than I thought it would be, and after 2 weeks now no leaks and I can feel a little better pedal response.
Old 1/23/10, 10:57 PM
Team Mustang Source

Thanks Gary ~
Old 1/24/10, 12:46 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
I am no expert, and I just did this mod.

I went with Goodridge stainless lines, everything was in the kit.

I also went with the ATE Super Blue brake fluid. Mainly because it was recommended by others, bit also it is blue and when I replaced the old fluid with this I could see exactly when the old fluid was done comng out of the bleeder and when the new blue fluid was coming out.

Also got a Motive bleeder system to make it an easy one man job.

All in all it was quite easy and quick. Easler than I thought it would be, and after 2 weeks now no leaks and I can feel a little better pedal response.
Ditto on the SS lines mine came with the ROUSH 6 piston kit. I'm sure Goodrich or Earls are similar in performance. I have a Motive bleeder system works like a champ, also replaced the stock fluid to DOT 4 spec Super Blue.
Old 1/24/10, 04:37 AM
Bullitt Member

I have StopTech SS lines and I use 1quart to flush or 4 points - traditional method two person needed.
I am using Castrol SRF extreme brake fluid for two years flushing every season and its perfect really outstanding product- I do not know if you can get that in US but definitely it is available in Europe.
http://www.castrol.com/castrol/secti...tentId=7040556

Last edited by seabiscuit; 1/24/10 at 04:50 AM.
Old 1/24/10, 07:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I went with Earl SS lines, speed bleeders and Valoline synthetic Dot 4 fluid. All for less than $150 shipped. It is a great brakes upgrade. You can feel the difference.
Old 1/24/10, 12:16 PM
Team Mustang Source

I ordered a set of Goodridge SS lines. If I don't track the car except maybe once a year wouldn't I be just fine replacing the Motorcraft fluid with Motorcraft fluid? My understanding is that the high performance brake fluid needs to be changed every year and absorbs lots of mositure.
Old 1/24/10, 02:27 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
I ordered a set of Goodridge SS lines. If I don't track the car except maybe once a year wouldn't I be just fine replacing the Motorcraft fluid with Motorcraft fluid? My understanding is that the high performance brake fluid needs to be changed every year and absorbs lots of mositure.
I think that's its the Silicone Dot 5 fluids that absorb water and under no circumstances should be used on our cars.

The number one reason I went with the ATE was that it was blue. That way I knew when the all the old fluid was out. Plus they make a yellow one, so next time I can use that and I'll know when all the old blue is out.

But I would see no reason not to use the recommended Ford Motorcraft fluid. It would be the safest and best bet especially for a non tracked car.

I'm just so **** I see myself changing the fluid every year anyway. I'm crazy like that.
Old 1/25/10, 01:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
I think that's its the Silicone Dot 5 fluids that absorb water and under no circumstances should be used on our cars.

The number one reason I went with the ATE was that it was blue. That way I knew when the all the old fluid was out. Plus they make a yellow one, so next time I can use that and I'll know when all the old blue is out.

But I would see no reason not to use the recommended Ford Motorcraft fluid. It would be the safest and best bet especially for a non tracked car.

I'm just so **** I see myself changing the fluid every year anyway. I'm crazy like that.

Castrol SRF is not silicone brake fluid it is based on innovative silicon esters and is compatible with DOT3 and DOT4 fluids - Its fuly safe for rubber hoses gaskets etc. Because it is based on Silicon Esters it is very resistant against moisture capture opposite then for example racing Motul RBF600 which is great but get moisture quickly.
SRF should be replaced every 18 months. I was changing that each year because I want to flush old DOT 3 for sure which some amounts still left in a system. This year I will replace it 3rd time and leave for 18 months.

Last edited by seabiscuit; 1/25/10 at 01:06 AM.
Old 1/25/10, 01:44 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
SRF is ridiculously expensive and very much overkill. Super Blue is fine, I use it in my DD/track car as do 3 of my friends who run in the competition group in S197 Roushes.

Order up a set of Earl's speed bleeder valves as well...makes one-man bleeding possible w/o a power bleeder.

And GrayPony--if you're going to track the car, flush the Motorcraft stuff OUT w/ the superblue or RBF600 or whatever you end up buying; the Motorcraft dry boiling point is way too low and you WILL cook it after you actually start using the brakes to their potential. I lost 80-90% of my brakes at 120mph due to fluid boiling, not a pleasant experience when you've gotta scrub half your speed to make the next turn!
Old 1/25/10, 04:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Thanks for all the input folks. I'm probably going to go with the ATE blue.
Old 1/25/10, 05:07 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by seabiscuit
Castrol SRF is not silicone brake fluid it is based on innovative silicon esters and is compatible with DOT3 and DOT4 fluids - Its fuly safe for rubber hoses gaskets etc. Because it is based on Silicon Esters it is very resistant against moisture capture opposite then for example racing Motul RBF600 which is great but get moisture quickly.
SRF should be replaced every 18 months. I was changing that each year because I want to flush old DOT 3 for sure which some amounts still left in a system. This year I will replace it 3rd time and leave for 18 months.
I didn't mean to imply that the Castrol was silicon, and I don't think I did. I was replying to Rich. In my short research I didn't see the Castrol SRF. The ATE was the nicest stuff that was readily available that I could find I guess.
Old 1/25/10, 05:19 PM
Cobra Member

I got Stoptech and Saleen branded lines (both from Stoptech, really), but look into the j&m, they're not too pricey. Did the blue route, too, works very well on and off track, not too expensive (got mine from TireRack), and easy to see when bleeding. Used 1.25 cans initially when all were swapped out.
Old 1/25/10, 05:41 PM
Team Mustang Source

I hate buying 2 litres if I'm going to use the amber the next change but I would hate not having enough. I guess it's 2 litres of the ATE blue. Any major companies sell the stuff, like Pep Boys or AutoZone? I hate to order it online because of the shipping cost.
Old 1/27/10, 10:25 PM
Bullitt Member

check out the lines Hotparts sales, pretty nice kits!

Mustangs Plus in Stockton has some also, dont remember what kind, have to seach the website their not in an obvious spot for our cars

Last edited by soitsav6; 1/27/10 at 10:27 PM.
Old 1/28/10, 07:55 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CO_VaporGT_09
I got Stoptech and Saleen branded lines (both from Stoptech, really), ... Used 1.25 cans initially when all were swapped out.
Same brake kit as Josh, but I stuck with the Ford OEM brake fluid.
Old 1/28/10, 08:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
I hate buying 2 litres if I'm going to use the amber the next change but I would hate not having enough. I guess it's 2 litres of the ATE blue. Any major companies sell the stuff, like Pep Boys or AutoZone? I hate to order it online because of the shipping cost.
One liter will do a full flush and you'll have a little left over. I had been using Motul 600 for a few years and recently switched to ATE Superblue when I put the Brembos on. The color change really makes it convenient and easy when doing a full flush--no waste, since you know right away when the fresh fluid has purged the system and caliper.

I realized I had been using an extra bottle of Motul (3x 500 ml) all this time...
Old 1/28/10, 10:13 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Import-Slaya
One liter will do a full flush and you'll have a little left over. I had been using Motul 600 for a few years and recently switched to ATE Superblue when I put the Brembos on. The color change really makes it convenient and easy when doing a full flush--no waste, since you know right away when the fresh fluid has purged the system and caliper.

I realized I had been using an extra bottle of Motul (3x 500 ml) all this time...

That's good to know. I already bought 2 bottles and if your right then I just save the extra for flush after the amber.
Old 1/28/10, 10:15 PM
Post *****

I used just a little less than the one bottle too. FWIW.
Old 2/16/10, 12:03 AM
Bullitt Member

something about brake fluids
http://www.timskelton.com/lightning/...rake_fluid.htm

Quick Reply: Brake line / fluid questions?