GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Brake improvement question

Search this Thread

Old 3/8/14, 04:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brake improvement question

So I've had my '05 GT for about a month now, and I'd like to improve brake performance. I know from experience that a pad upgrade like Hawk HPS, etc. are certainly worthwhile. But I'm not too sure about a rotor upgrade. Does anybody know if upgrading from the stock rotors to something like Powerslot or DBA is worth the investment? I've never swapped out rotors, so I'm just not sure how much an improvement they actually provide. I'm also taking a look at the Wilwood superlite kits, but I don't know if I wanna go that far, although from what I've read a full Wilwood kit will increase stopping power dramatically. Thanks!
Old 3/9/14, 07:30 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by whysoserious
So I've had my '05 GT for about a month now, and I'd like to improve brake performance. I know from experience that a pad upgrade like Hawk HPS, etc. are certainly worthwhile. But I'm not too sure about a rotor upgrade. Does anybody know if upgrading from the stock rotors to something like Powerslot or DBA is worth the investment? I've never swapped out rotors, so I'm just not sure how much an improvement they actually provide. I'm also taking a look at the Wilwood superlite kits, but I don't know if I wanna go that far, although from what I've read a full Wilwood kit will increase stopping power dramatically. Thanks!

Not much really, pads and fluid will offer more bang for the buck than any other upgrade, rotors are pretty much the sizzle on the steak so to speak.

If anything, a set of two-piece rotors will offer a slight improvement in unsprung weight, durability and heat management but its a pricey option.
Old 3/10/14, 07:40 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pretty much as stated; swapping rotors (even 2pc) won't improve braking. It's the same size disc. Why would that matter if the new one is "performance rotor"? Because torque is in part leverage- the radius the pads are mounted to. Which cannot change or the pads and caliper no longer fit it. "But what about slotted or drilled rotors?" They may enhance pad function a bit but they don't really make more brake so to speak.

For budget minded folks a more aggressive pad and some ss braided hoses for enhanced feel is as far as you can go. From there it's off to new parts land for true big brakes- larger rotors being key to that success.

FWIW if you buy new rotors, pads and hoses you'll probably be a good third of the way into a full brake kit.