GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

BMR Lower Control Arm Relocation Brackets Are On

Search this Thread

Old 10/12/05, 08:37 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So after about a 2 hour installation job done by my friend who owns a fabrication and chopper shop, Bay Town Choppers in San Carlos CA, my rear end delt out the best burn out and spinning launch ever. The cement lot wasnt near drag strip quality but Im just happy that the welds will hold up to whatever I dish out. The brackets were welded with both TIG and MIG btw.

Take notice to the difference in the mounting points. The brackets cost $99 and the labor was $85/hr ($191 total).

Im yet to find out how much my rear end will dig in with the stock tires though. Im also hoping that these will help keep traction when the 410 gears go in so I dont have to go to a DOT strip tire just yet.

The next time I have the car up in the air I'll paint these brackets to match the LCAs.

Does anybody know what those weights on the axle are for? They weigh like 5lbs each I think so it wont make a world of difference by pulling them.

Anyways, here are the pics...

-Dan
Old 10/12/05, 09:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello...you must have a newer '05,or '06. Those weights are for dampening noise/vibration from rearend to interior of car. I have an early'05(built Sept '04),my car did not have these...i did have some noise issues. I replaced gears to 3.73's..still had noise,so i tried these dampers from Ford(same as you have) There was a TSB out on this for mycar...now Ford puts them on> Well....they did absolutely nothing for me. They just added extra weight..i removed them,and there is no difference either way. If you want to experiment...take them off,and see if you hear anything different. Supposedly...the rearend gives off unwanted whine that is transmitted to interior. There was no change for me ...but let me know if you remove them,and what you notice....or don't! By the way...you are the first i've seen with these on from factory!
Old 10/12/05, 10:38 PM
Cobra Member

and the build date on my car was mid December cause I took delivery just before the new year.

The noise dampening thing is all that I thought they were for but my rear end transfers enough noise already so removing these wont make a huge difference to my deaf ears.

-Dan
Old 10/13/05, 07:32 AM
I talk to cones.

I may be dropping those off too now if I have them.
Old 10/13/05, 07:53 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, but what do the brackets do, exactly (besides the obvious relocation of the rear LCA mount)?
Old 10/13/05, 08:13 AM
Bullitt Member

They should change the roll axis and anti squat of the rear end. How much, I don't know? Has anyone run any numbers on the geometry w/ the stock suspension and the relocation brackets?
Old 10/13/05, 08:35 AM
Cobra Member

The main difference for me is that it corrects the upward angle of the lcas to the proper downward to help promote traction with hard launching. This is 100% neccessary if you drop your car and wish to drag race and want a good 60 foot time.

-Dan
Old 10/13/05, 08:51 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Cleveland@October 13, 2005, 10:38 AM
The main difference for me is that it corrects the upward angle of the lcas to the proper downward to help promote traction with hard launching. This is 100% neccessary if you drop your car and wish to drag race and want a good 60 foot time.

-Dan
Thanks
Old 10/13/05, 02:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Looks good, hookin' and a bookin'
Keep us updated.
Old 10/13/05, 02:43 PM
3rd Times A Charm

The BMR LCAs look great IMO!
Old 10/13/05, 03:19 PM
Team Mustang Source

If anyone is interested I have a set for sale. I have a Steeda Ultralite springs and after droping the car thought the relocation brackets would be overkill. It isn't enough of a drop.
Old 10/13/05, 03:49 PM
Cobra Member

You should really mount them if you drop your car at all. The angle of the control arms is thrown way off when you do it.

-Dan
Old 11/2/05, 04:29 PM
Cobra Member

Since I have done a lot of driving since I had these installed about 3 weeks ago I believe its time for an update.

I havent noticed anything detrimental for everyday driving, in fact I believe the brackets have aided to keep the rear tires planted with the 410 gears. I know the brackets helped my latest 60 foot numbers at the track but the lack of decent tires definitely didnt allow for increase in dig out of the hole.

I have Strange Adjustable Rear Shocks showing up tomorrow so I may be able to put off getting the 17x9" wheels and Drag Radials for a bit longer.

Again, I should be a good example of what a specific mod does in terms of power (to the pavement). I'm going to need as much traction as ever since Long Tubes are going in tomorrow too. I cant wait till I hear that open header sound once again once I put my foot into it.

-Dan
Old 11/2/05, 04:44 PM
Cobra Member

Brackets look good Dan. You will enjoy the header's, night & Day difference...
Old 11/3/05, 04:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for the update Dan, Looks like I might have to get a set.

The Boss Hog
Old 11/3/05, 05:02 PM
Bullitt Member

I second that, thanks for the update Dan.

BTW...

Originally posted by bpmurr@October 13, 2005, 5:22 PM
If anyone is interested I have a set for sale. I have a Steeda Ultralite springs and after droping the car thought the relocation brackets would be overkill. It isn't enough of a drop.
Uhhmm...bpmurr, last we spoke 3 weeks ago, you were checking on shipment, Im only the next state over...I can drive...lol

Change of mind?? let me know....its only fair.
Old 11/3/05, 07:23 PM

Originally posted by Cleveland@November 2, 2005, 5:32 PM
Since I have done a lot of driving since I had these installed about 3 weeks ago I believe its time for an update.

I havent noticed anything detrimental for everyday driving, in fact I believe the brackets have aided to keep the rear tires planted with the 410 gears. I know the brackets helped my latest 60 foot numbers at the track but the lack of decent tires definitely didnt allow for increase in dig out of the hole.

I have Strange Adjustable Rear Shocks showing up tomorrow so I may be able to put off getting the 17x9" wheels and Drag Radials for a bit longer.

Again, I should be a good example of what a specific mod does in terms of power (to the pavement). I'm going to need as much traction as ever since Long Tubes are going in tomorrow too. I cant wait till I hear that open header sound once again once I put my foot into it.

-Dan
Make sure you get some washers to space the lower part of the shocks.I used three on each side of shock.
Old 11/4/05, 08:30 PM
Cobra Member

I think the weights are put there by Ford to change the natural frequency response of the unsprung weight (axle assy et al). Mine is a fairly late production 05 Mustang GT and it does not have them. When I was first looking at the new Mustangs on the lots I only noticed these weights on the V-6's.

The main purpose of the BMR bracket for the lower control arm is to raise the instantaneous center of the suspension linkage back up (lowered as a result of lowering the car). The position of this center influences how well the whole car / chassis transfers weight when you are accelerating. By raising the instant center more anti squat is created. You can get too much ... that is why there are two holes in that bracket so you can dial it in. One symptom of too much is a lot of wheel hop under hard braking (I have to go look for some of my old chassis books to freshen up on this, but this partial explanation may help fill in some of the blanks).
Old 11/5/05, 12:19 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by The Boss Hog@November 3, 2005, 4:45 AM
Looks like I might have to get a set.

The Boss Hog
Highly recommended...169stang also vouches for them.
Old 11/5/05, 06:50 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Dan, you getting any wheel hop with this setup? I've got the regular non adjustable BMR LCA's, and still getting intermittent wheel hop out of the hole. I was using stock tire pressure, which might be an issue. Sometimes it hops, sometimes it's smmmooooth.

I like the brackets, looks sturdy. Like you said, would look better with a shot of paint, or maybe just some undercoat paint, unless you want people to see them then paint them red. And yes, I'd ditch the weights. Mine whines with or without them.

Quick Reply: BMR Lower Control Arm Relocation Brackets Are On