GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Bilsteins and H&R springs installed, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 4/8/07, 01:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bilsteins and H&R springs installed, etc.

Over the weekend I finally installed the H&R sport springs, Bilstein shocks, GT500 rear LCA's, GT500 strut bearings, and stripped all the parts off the rear axle and gave it a nice coat of black rust killing paint to clean it up (what a difference, less rust is always good).

I only took the car for a short ride today being it is easter and all. But so far, the stance looks great, a nice mild 3/4" drop so far with the same rake. The ride is 10-15% stiffer around town with a lot less clunks in the suspension.

Things have to settle, but first impressions are that the car is handling better with less pitch and roll under accel and braking, less wheel hop.

But also, the suspension may have lost a little of its feel, and the car may have a bit more push on initial turn in. New springs and shocks are always a bit mushy and numb when new, I will report more when I get a better idea on my normal roads to work, etc. I just hope I am not feeling the progressive nature of the springs with the initial turn in feel. But the H&R sports are supposed to be stiffer than the eibach, so who knows. Bilstein claims that the shocks were designed to be a great street shock. But if you are looking for a track beast they may need to be re-valved.

To be honest, I am still processing this install. I expected a really stiff ride with improved handling. What I got was a slightly stiffer ride with I believe better handling. Time will tell. Initially I was disappointed but then I tossed the car into a couple corners and the car was just flat.

One thing is for certain, if I can accomplish the handling I want without the teeth rattling ride, I will be happy since this is my daily driver.

Initial alignment looks good and within spec with a little more neg camber which is what I wanted. After car settles and I know I am keeping the setup as is, I will align it fully.

More thoughts and pics to come soon.
Old 4/8/07, 07:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the report. I'm still interested in the Bilsteins for my car and of course already have the H&Rs installed. Where did you get your Bilsteins?
Old 4/8/07, 07:52 PM
Cobra Member

I have H&R progressive springs on a lot of my cars. They are slightly stiffer during the average cruise, but they wind up nicely when you really start to load them. That's how a progressive spring works. Since you are stiffer you probably will see some increased understeer. Play with your tire pressures. Soften up the front and bump up the rear in 2# increments until you find a nice balance. Final alignment will likely help as well.
Old 4/8/07, 08:42 PM
Bullitt Member

I bought them from Allshocks.com. Which is really Turner Motorsport. I met Will Turner at a couple track events a while back and he always has good service, prices, and shipping.

They were the cheapest from him a few months back when I bought them and had free shipping. I think they were a little over 600 bucks. I also would not hesitate to deal with Stangsuspension.com. But he was not offering free shipping at the time, and even with the 5% forum discount it still came out to be a bit more. His prices may have dropped since then.

Well, hopefully tomorrow the day will be nice and I can get a little better handle on it. As long as it does not rain all week or something, hopefully I can wash it and take some pics soon. The stance looks just perfect so far. Very subtle. Which is what I wanted.

I will play with pressures if need be. I also have no problems with throwing a larger rear sway bar on it in the future.

It looks like it is close to 0.75-1 degree neg camber from my quick checking. Which is about the max I usually run on the street. Sometimes too much neg camber can reduce steering feel I believe. But it does help understeer.
Old 4/10/07, 08:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Just curious if you have had a chance to form any more opinions on the Bilstein/H&R combo. Not much forum interest - I guess everyone has Eibachs and D-specs.
Old 4/10/07, 08:07 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by classj
It looks like it is close to 0.75-1 degree neg camber from my quick checking. Which is about the max I usually run on the street. Sometimes too much neg camber can reduce steering feel I believe. But it does help understeer.
Steeda recommends -1.3 degrees for their street cars.
Old 4/10/07, 10:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Overall, I am thrilled with the suspension. Everything settled in nicely and firmed right up. The ride is slightly stiffer than stock but overall much nicer imo.

The handling has been totally transformed and I am in love. Between the better handling, reduced noises of all kinds, and awesome stance, I think it was well worth it.

The only downsides are that the initial turn in road feel is ever so slightly numb compared to stock. I am 99% this is the progressive springs as once you put a little load on the chassis the handling is amazing.

My feelings so far is that the car is slightly more neutral in a wierd way. I feel that it is pushing less, but harder to get the car to oversteer on corner exit. So I may play with tire pressures or consider sways (possibly only rear) in the future.

Pics are coming as soon as I can. I am just swamped with work and such.
Old 4/11/07, 12:10 AM
Banned

classj-

What is different about the GT500 strut bearings?
Old 4/11/07, 04:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the extended report. That sounds pretty good and will be my next mod.
Old 4/11/07, 09:44 PM
Bullitt Member

The GT500 strut bearings carry a different part number and are alot more expensive. The actual differences? Who knows for sure. They look cosmetically identical save for longer studs. But internally I can see some differences looking from certain angles.

Essentially, I was changing bearings anyway, and there was no reason not to just throw the gt500 ones in.

**UPDATE**

I measured the rear axle centering today as I wanted to see how the drop affected things. The axel is perfectly centered as measured to the wheel arch lips with a plumb or a stick. Before it was off a smidge, now it is perfect. No need for a adj panhard bar.
Old 4/12/07, 05:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by classj

**UPDATE**

I measured the rear axle centering today as I wanted to see how the drop affected things. The axel is perfectly centered as measured to the wheel arch lips with a plumb or a stick. Before it was off a smidge, now it is perfect. No need for a adj panhard bar.
Now that you mention it, my rear axle is closer to being perfectly centered than it was before the H&R springs. I may look into some GT500 strut bearings between now and when I do my Bilsteins.
Old 4/12/07, 08:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Since I installed the springs at the same time, what I did was buy a set of lower front spring insulators, and new strut bearings, and just build a complete new set of struts on the bench before taking the car apart.

It worked out great, and I still have my originals complete and intact if I ever want to reinstall them. Saved a little down time too, not much, but a little.
Old 4/14/07, 10:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Glad to hear Bilsteins are available. I had Steeda Sport Spings and Bilstein HDs on my '95 GT and loved it. On smooth road, my '95 was smoother than the '06. Of course, hitting a big bump was a different story. Still deciding on whether to do it to the '06. I think a whole package is the answer on these cars. The understeer is pretty bad and I couldn't live with it being worse. The whole reason for me to modify the suspension is to get it more neutral. I love oversteer though.

I don't mind spending a little money, but I don't want to mess up my daily driver!
Old 4/14/07, 11:16 PM
Cobra Member

Got an adjustable UCA? If not, get one ASAP!
Old 4/15/07, 09:09 AM
Bullitt Member

The understeer is not worse. It initially felt that way because the back is sticking so much better it takes more speed/throttle to get it to step out. But the front is not sliding before that. I still might add a rear sway bar though.

I don't believe an adj UCA is needed for a 3/4" drop. I will check the pinion angle when I align it but judging by others that have done a mild drop I do not feel it is needed.
Old 4/24/07, 08:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Question Still searching for perfect spring / shock combo

Looking for a nice balance between ride comfort and performance.
Unfortunately the Tokicos and Steeda Sport Springs are not cutting it.
Handles great, but I feel every imperfection on the roads and the car
bounces pretty hard when driving fast and hitting any dips or bumps
in the roads. Plus even with a one inch drop in the front I have to be
careful which steep driveways I come in or out of. Any recommendations
out there? Going with Steeda's street endlinks, strut mounts, sub frame
connectors, sway bar pretty soon - how much different are their Ultra-lite
springs?

Old 6/6/07, 09:44 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by GTRacerX
Looking for a nice balance between ride comfort and performance.
Unfortunately the Tokicos and Steeda Sport Springs are not cutting it.
Handles great, but I feel every imperfection on the roads and the car
bounces pretty hard when driving fast and hitting any dips or bumps
in the roads. Plus even with a one inch drop in the front I have to be
careful which steep driveways I come in or out of. Any recommendations
out there? Going with Steeda's street endlinks, strut mounts, sub frame
connectors, sway bar pretty soon - how much different are their Ultra-lite
springs?

This is with the D-Specs??? How many turns out from full firm are you at? I am at 4 today and the ride is MUCH more harsh than 5 turns out. Try 5 turns. It feels about stock to me with the Ultralites. 4 on the other hand...feels closer to my Bilstein/Sport Spring combo on my '95. I am still in the "testing" phase. After trying 4, I am glad I got the D-Specs. For all I know, that is what the Steeda shocks would feel like as most people seem to be running 4 on their D-Specs and liking it. I'll bet I end up at 4.5.