GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Big Brake Kit and 20" Rims...

Search this Thread

Old 9/25/07, 08:02 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big Brake Kit and 20" Rims...

Are there issues with big brake kits and the 20" Shebly Torque Thrust M rims? Bought them from Tirerack and if Im not mistaken they have a Wheel offset of 38mm.
Old 9/25/07, 09:03 PM
Bullitt Member

I have the black ones on my GT/CS & would like to upgrade to the GT 500 stuff.
Old 9/25/07, 09:30 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by JonCo
Are there issues with big brake kits and the 20" Shebly Torque Thrust M rims? Bought them from Tirerack and if Im not mistaken they have a Wheel offset of 38mm.

hi jonco,

MOST wheels for GT stangs will not clear anything except stock brakes.

thats another reason why i sold my 20" torq m's i got from tirerack.

if you get spacers..they might be able to fit big brakes. frustrating eh?

i wanted 14" brakes so i had to change wheels.

whenever u use tirerack for 20" wheels...choose GT500 shelby cause tirerack tests those wheels to clear big brakes.

i hope that helps brother ping me if you need more information...
Old 9/25/07, 09:33 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Bassically, I need new rims for a big brake kit. Lol, sucks. Hmm...
Old 9/25/07, 09:39 PM
Cobra Member

Bassically, I need new rims for a big brake kit. Lol, sucks. Hmm...

yes brother...unfortunately. sucks eh?

if you decide to go this route, obviously put your wheels for sale, then when u shop for wheels, shop as if u own a GT500 because those wheels will be designed to clear the big 14" brakes.

i love my Axis HIRO 19" cause they are designed to clear big brakes and are lightweight.

good luck bro bro!
Old 9/25/07, 09:42 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Guess this mod will have to be put on hold. Rims still have that new smell. Haha, wonder where else I could dump some mod money =)

I wonder... Those kits which only relocate the stock calipers and give a 14" rotor. We still talking same problems with clearance? I think Bear sells a kit like this, new rotors and relocation brackets.
Old 9/25/07, 09:47 PM
Cobra Member

Guess this mod will have to be put on hold. Rims still have that new smell. Haha, wonder where else I could dump some mod money =)

I wonder... Those kits which only relocate the stock calipers and give a 14" rotor. We still talking same problems with clearance? I think Bear sells a kit like this, new rotors and relocation brackets.

hi jonco,

even the baer 14" upg retaining sale caliper kit will not fit. i tried that route too

i know you rims are NEW but honestly, its the BEST time to try to unload them because they are NEW. you'll get most value out of them and not loss as much. thats what i decided to do with my torq m's.

i feel bad bro. this sucks eh?
Old 9/26/07, 10:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by YaoNYC
yes brother...unfortunately. sucks eh?

if you decide to go this route, obviously put your wheels for sale, then when u shop for wheels, shop as if u own a GT500 because those wheels will be designed to clear the big 14" brakes.

i love my Axis HIRO 19" cause they are designed to clear big brakes and are lightweight.

good luck bro bro!
Have you posted pics of this combo? I'm also looking for lightweight wheel options.
Old 9/26/07, 10:20 AM
GT Member

I just purchased some 20" Foose. I got them from Unique Performance, the company that builds the Foose Stallion.
I was looking at a couple of Fooses while I was waiting to pick up my wheels and I noticed that several of and if not all the Foose stallions have a big brake upgrade.
They are Baer Brakes. I would look into those. Also supposedly the stock C6 brakes are identical to these same Baers put a little thiner.
Also, may want to check the Unique site for they are going to a signature Chip Foose caliper so I bet they will have existing Baers pretty cheap.

Good luck
Old 9/26/07, 10:29 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Couper93
I just purchased some 20" Foose. I got them from Unique Performance, the company that builds the Foose Stallion.
I was looking at a couple of Fooses while I was waiting to pick up my wheels and I noticed that several of and if not all the Foose stallions have a big brake upgrade.
They are Baer Brakes. I would look into those. Also supposedly the stock C6 brakes are identical to these same Baers put a little thiner.
Also, may want to check the Unique site for they are going to a signature Chip Foose caliper so I bet they will have existing Baers pretty cheap.

Good luck
hi couper,
most of the FOOSE stangs have the baer stock rotor upgrade that is slotted/drilled. its not the 14" rotor upgrade. so, that will fit. i am pretty sure the 14" upgrade will clear the foose wheels. i know they have a big brake upgrade kit too..

thanks..
Old 9/26/07, 10:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Couper93

Good luck
I'm actually selling a staggered set of those if anyone is looking.