GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Better C&L or Steeda CAI?

Search this Thread

Old 4/18/05, 10:58 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please folks, don't even think of mentioning Jay's intake. I don't want the hassle associated with sending out my predator to have some third party tune loaded into it only to have it written over when DIablo updates the OS. That coupled with the fact that Jay's plus the tune costs about the same as Steeda or CL.

That having been said, of the C&L or Steeda which is getting higher gains?

Which of those works better with lower octane? Do either do well with 87 Octane?

Finally, where to buy for best price?

I have a gut feeling that the answer is C&L - but where to get the best deal.

I am thinking that I can get the C&L and have it ceramic coated to reject heat. Look, I'd love to go with a plastic solution - but I can't even begin to think about all the tuning hassles. Sorry Jay.

P
Old 4/19/05, 07:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Peet - I know you don't want to hear it but you have it all wrong.

First, price is $225 ($150 for the JLT and $75 for the tune). Good deal if you ask me.

Second you don't have to send them your Predator to DTP. You simply email them your backup file and they email it back (modified) within the day. It is super easy and you actually keep a copy of your original backup too.

Third, If you save the tune on your computer and update your Predator, you do not lose your custom tune. You simply update your Predator then load back on the custom tune.

Finally, I know all this from experience because I have installed the tune and updated my Predator with the current OS. DTP is very professional and has worked with the Diablo to get this tune right.

Good Luck Peet - hope this helps you with your choice!

Cheers_Jay
Old 4/19/05, 07:09 AM
V6 Member

Peet, between the two I would say the C&L. That intake replaces the entire intake with a nice smooth tube instead of using the stock tube like Steeda. I know a guy that installed the Steeda and said it was kind of a pain in the **** too.

No idea where to get it cheap sorry.
Old 4/19/05, 07:45 AM
Bullitt Member

http://www.rpmoutlet.com/05gt.htm

this is the best price that i have found
Old 4/19/05, 07:47 AM

Yes, the c&l replace the tubing and all, but I disagree with the ladder comment. The Steeda is no more difficult or easy to install than all the others. I'd love to do a comparison of the Steeda vs JLT or C&L. I doubt either would make more than 1 hp over the Steeda. The only comparisons we've seen is the C&L vs the JLT. Jay is a smart business man! I think he picking his battles wisely. If there is no significant gaines over the Steeda, why take a stab at Steeda and have them gunning for you. I'd really like to see comparison across the board with the 3 types.
Old 4/19/05, 08:45 AM
Cobra Member

The Steeda is no big deal to install. Now the weatherstrip seal around the heat shield is another story. That is definitely a 3 beer job!

As for the C&L. Yes, they do replace the intake tube with an anluminum tube. But realistically, what does that gain you. It looks kewl no doubt. But does it truly make a $150 performance gain? (Strictly my opinion here) If you are a true drag racer, and you have the opportunity to let your car sit around with ice bags packed on the aluminum intake tube for a half hour before each race, then yes, I would say it would make a difference. For every day signal light hopping and such...I somehow doubt you are going to notice it there unless you open the hood and look at it.
Old 4/19/05, 09:17 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

The C&L intake tube is proven to add power, same as Jay's. I forgot how much, but it was pretty sizable. I chose the C&L because it was well engineered and proven. Don't take that as a knock on the competition.
Old 4/19/05, 11:08 AM
Cobra Member

nobody ever mentioned the Mac straight shot, which has a bigger filter and it seems to me it flows better than the steeda, and if you put weatherstripping on the shroud it is basically the steeda with a better filter for $150
Old 4/19/05, 11:10 AM

Now if the C&L was ceramic coated...that would be ideal. Or if the C&L tubing was plastic with a shiney, smooth finish on the interior...again, ideal. I've heard so many different opinions regarding the tubing. I've heard that Ford themselves tested and tested and they didn't see any improvements with different tubing. That's why they have that particular intake tubing. I've also heard the other side of the coin. It does improve airflow. This is one of those things that needs to be tested by one of us-objectively. Not info from a dealer or manuf. Yes, I could go down to steeda and tune the car with all three intakes on it. Would it be objective, it's too questionable.
Old 4/19/05, 11:30 AM

But does mac have one for the 05?

I see that they do. I've never heard of MAC though. I would like to use their tubing that they have on other kits to see if there was any improvement on the air flow.
Old 4/19/05, 12:15 PM
Cobra Member

Ya know...another thing I have been wondering. Why did Ford run their intake tube RIGHT AGAINST an engine water line. Somehow I doubt that 200 degree water is helping with the cool air supposedly going in the MAF.
Old 4/19/05, 12:38 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I have the same question. I had a C&L intake on my 2000 V6, and I loved it.

Also have a regular diablosport tuner....not a C&L diablosport tuner. Would this make a difference if I wanted to add a C&L intake to my 05? Do I need to get another tuner if I swap out the intakes?
Old 4/19/05, 01:28 PM
Cobra Member

No. You do not need the dealer specific tuner. Diablo has ( although not currently ) vendor specific tunes available for download on their web site.
Meaning, you can download a Diablo tune for a C&L from the Diablo web site.
Old 4/19/05, 05:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by peet@April 19, 2005, 12:01 AM
Please folks, don't even think of mentioning Jay's intake. I don't want the hassle associated with sending out my predator to have some third party tune loaded into it only to have it written over when DIablo updates the OS. That coupled with the fact that Jay's plus the tune costs about the same as Steeda or CL.

Sorry Jay.

P
Wow
Do you have it wrong.
It's cool.... Well that depends.
Jay
Old 4/19/05, 06:02 PM
Cobra Member

custom tunes still active on diablosports web site...you just have to have the right address....

http://www.diablosport.com/Downloads_05stang_tunes.php
Old 4/19/05, 06:11 PM
Cobra R Member

Tucker

He did say that he was sorry Jay.

hawgman
Ya know...another thing I have been wondering. Why did Ford run their intake tube RIGHT AGAINST an engine water line. Somehow I doubt that 200 degree water is helping with the cool air supposedly going in the MAF.

You are right on with that comment. Any changes for 06, FORD?
Old 4/19/05, 06:47 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by Faber@April 19, 2005, 7:05 PM
custom tunes still active on diablosports web site...you just have to have the right address....

http://www.diablosport.com/Downloads_05stang_tunes.php
I wouldn't use them, instead email cole and he will email you a new revised R14 tune for the C&L.
Old 4/19/05, 07:13 PM
Bullitt Member

I know i'll probably get flamed for this, but I do not think ANY of the cold air intakes makes much difference. It is removing the carbon trap and the tune that seems to makes the vast majority of the hp. With the trap out, the stock intake appears to be quite efficient...

I would remove the trap and install the predator premium tune for the GT and be happy. I doubt the cold air kit will add more than 2-3hp if any.....

Sorry, but that is my opinion based on the dyno graphs I have seen.....
Old 4/19/05, 07:21 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by sranger@April 19, 2005, 8:16 PM
I know i'll probably get flamed for this, but I do not think ANY of the cold air intakes makes much difference. It is removing the carbon trap and the tune that seems to makes the vast majority of the hp. With the trap out, the stock intake appears to be quite efficient...

I would remove the trap and install the predator premium tune for the GT and be happy. I doubt the cold air kit will add more than 2-3hp if any.....

Sorry, but that is my opinion based on the dyno graphs I have seen.....
Not going to get flamed, rather I am going to say you are incorrect. Do some research, the information is there.
Old 4/19/05, 07:45 PM

I was going to be REALLY surprised if Jay didn't chime in on this before the day ended. Tonight was my deadline for him. My thoughts were on target. I know I'm not the only one.
Not because I have a CAI, but I did look into the CAI being proven and not another flashy item under the hood. Jason is correct! There is proven data showing that the leading 3; Steeda, JLT, and C & L all work. Some are firm believers that one works better than the other. I'm just glad it bumped up my HP.

Quick Reply: Better C&L or Steeda CAI?