GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Best money I've spent so far!!

Search this Thread

Old 4/12/08, 03:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best money I've spent so far!!

I just installed the CHE K-member brace with torque limiters and without a doubt it is the best money I've spent on my car. The car feels a lot more tight on the road, especially the corners. Now for the shifting....NO more 3rd gear issues!!!!! That clean 2nd to 3rd gear shift under power that was so difficult to make before is now a breeze. It actually feels like a completely different (and better) car. To say I'm absolutely thrilled with this mod would be an understatement.
As it turns out this mod just saved me another $100-150 because now I don't need to buy a new shifter
Old 4/12/08, 04:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

That mod will make any shifter work great. Got any pics?
Old 4/12/08, 04:03 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah... pics!
Old 4/12/08, 04:35 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Good to know. I've got one for both cars sitting here awaiting install. Hope to get them in this week.
Old 4/12/08, 04:47 PM
Team Mustang Source

This is a great mod. Some NVH but a worthwhile tradeoff IMO. Here's pics of my install.
Attached Thumbnails Best money I've spent so far!!-030-small-.jpg   Best money I've spent so far!!-057-small-.jpg   Best money I've spent so far!!-058-small-.jpg  
Old 4/12/08, 04:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Good to hear. I am awaiting mine and I thought I would have it by now, but I guess it will have to wait until next week. I wasn't sure when I bought it, so you have eased my mind a bit. My only concern was missed 3-4 shifts due to trans torque over under load. I already have the Hurst and it alleviated much of the stock issues.
Old 4/12/08, 05:05 PM
I lust for a M24

I must know where to get this. Dang, more money outta wallet, but I think this is the answer for my 1-2 shift under load problems.
Old 4/12/08, 05:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Is this completely bolt on or is there any drilling/welding required?
Old 4/12/08, 06:40 PM
Den
GT Member

I'd be a little weary of cracking the ears off of the bell housing. Thats got to be a huge force when shifting hard. What do you guys think?
Old 4/12/08, 07:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hey GRAYPNY the pics of the brace/limiters look just like mine
Thanks again for your suggestion on this mod

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
I must know where to get this. Dang, more money outta wallet, but I think this is the answer for my 1-2 shift under load problems.
I had gotten mine here:
http://www.cheperformance.com/

Originally Posted by Robbieg
Is this completely bolt on or is there any drilling/welding required?
No drilling or welding, it is just bolt on unless your car was built BEFORE 1/2005 (see notes on the CHE website) If I can do it, anyone can. The most difficult part of the job for me was breaking loose the control arm bushing mount bolt.
Old 4/13/08, 06:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Thinking about this mod, may have to pull the trigger.
Old 4/13/08, 07:09 AM
I lust for a M24

Originally Posted by tom281
Thinking about this mod, may have to pull the trigger.
Right there with ya. I just got done putting the bullets in the cylinder and I'm taking aim now. Mine's an early 05, so it looks like I'm going to need those adapter plates too, but I haven't found a price yet.
Old 4/13/08, 09:02 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
One tip for those considering these, it will take longer to get a on in a color. They custom paint them per order. I ordered a black one for the '05, but orange for the '07 and it took about a week to be shipped out. Not bad a bad turn around time really, to get something painted and shipped out, but be aware of that when ordering. If you want it quickly, get black.
Old 4/13/08, 09:40 AM
I lust for a M24

DarkFire, what's your .02 on the brace? And did you get it w/ the torqe limiters I assume?
Old 4/13/08, 09:46 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
Right there with ya. I just got done putting the bullets in the cylinder and I'm taking aim now. Mine's an early 05, so it looks like I'm going to need those adapter plates too, but I haven't found a price yet.
I just installed my CHE k-member brace w/torque limiters the other day and as mine is an early 05 model I had to install the adapter plates. Just make sure you have a good center punch and some sharp drill bits as you have to drill the holes at an angle.When ordering your brace from CHE just let them know you will need the adapter plates because you have an early 05 model and they will send them with the brace. These guys and very helpful and run a top notch business, very good to deal with. You will notice a big improvment with shifting under load and the car will feel tighter in the front end.
Old 4/13/08, 09:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
If I hadn't ordered my new PA alternator, I'd order this today and get it coming for next week.
Old 4/13/08, 10:00 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Den
I'd be a little weary of cracking the ears off of the bell housing. Thats got to be a huge force when shifting hard. What do you guys think?
+1, I am very interested in this mod also, especially with the new power of the S/C but I would be curious about this as well. I'm sure it was designed within an acceptable limit from an engineering stand point but it does seem like a lot of load to put on these two holes. I guess if there was a problem we would be hearing about it on the forums so it must be able to handle it OK
Old 4/13/08, 10:47 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gleamin05
I just installed my CHE k-member brace w/torque limiters the other day and as mine is an early 05 model I had to install the adapter plates. Just make sure you have a good center punch and some sharp drill bits as you have to drill the holes at an angle.When ordering your brace from CHE just let them know you will need the adapter plates because you have an early 05 model and they will send them with the brace. These guys and very helpful and run a top notch business, very good to deal with. You will notice a big improvment with shifting under load and the car will feel tighter in the front end.
I have a build date of 12/04 so I will need the adapter plates. What do you mean by drill the holes at an angle? Do you have any pictures of the plates?
Also, did CHE charge you extra for the plates?
Old 4/13/08, 12:33 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by ryan1112
I have a build date of 12/04 so I will need the adapter plates. What do you mean by drill the holes at an angle? Do you have any pictures of the plates?
Also, did CHE charge you extra for the plates?
They did not charge me for the adapter plates. You can not drill straight because there is not enough room so you have to drill at an angle.Here is a link for the adapter plate installation. http://www.cheperformance.com/instru...E7N/CHE7N.html#
Old 4/13/08, 03:36 PM
Team Mustang Source

There is more info on this thread.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...orque+limiters

Quick Reply: Best money I've spent so far!!