GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

best line lock kit?

Search this Thread

Old 12/10/08, 02:26 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best line lock kit?

I am looking to buy a line lock kit ...does anyone have any info on the kits out there? I have seen kits from slp, motoblue, granetelli, and pmp....pmp and moto are cheapest...anyone have any insights for me?
Old 12/10/08, 02:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I've had the SLP kit for about 6 months now with no problems. You can tell by my avatar that they work just fine.
Old 12/10/08, 03:22 PM
GT Member

thanks Leo...i pmed you a few questions...also sorry to hear about that fighter crash by miramar...i was stationed at NASNI in the 90s and with all the building and development its amazing that stuff like that does not happen more often!!!
Old 12/10/08, 03:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

NP I replied to your pm.
Old 12/10/08, 06:26 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
I've had the SLP kit for about 6 months now with no problems. You can tell by my avatar that they work just fine.
+1
SLP here too. Works great
Old 12/10/08, 07:04 PM
GT Member

yeah...i am gonna get the slp kit from american muscle....they have it for 139 shipped right now...the pmp kit is only 75 but thats just the lines and fittings...add 44 for two solenoids and switch and wire you got about 170 or so...
Old 12/10/08, 07:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's a good deal! *Adding to Christmas list*
Old 12/10/08, 10:34 PM
Bullitt Member

You made a wise decision...you won't be disappointed ...

I've had that system for a few months with no problems..easy to install as well.

Old 12/11/08, 12:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question installation details

Could you give a few more details about the installation? Where and how do you tap into the brake system hydraulics? is it all don without cutting or destroying any factory parts?

Thanks

Originally Posted by CooBra07
You made a wise decision...you won't be disappointed ...

I've had that system for a few months with no problems..easy to install as well.

Old 12/11/08, 10:37 AM
GT Member

hey guys...i have found that slp kit on late model resto for 114 plus shipping as well...a tad cheaper than american muscle but every buck helps these days....

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...0%201&comp=LRS

--- i called slp and asked why they only have one solenoid in this kit and others have two...they said that this one does teh work of the extra one...2nd one not needed on their setup... seems funny to me...i'd like to find out more about that...why would all the companys not use just one then? less parts = less failure risk...another person told me that the two solenoid setups are due to the abs signals and use of two other lines that slp does not include...anyone have any insight on this???

Last edited by 06SatinSilver; 12/11/08 at 10:40 AM.
Old 12/11/08, 10:45 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Here's my reasoning for going with a single solenoid setup....

I figure if I have one solenoid controlling both front brakes if the solenoid were to fail both brakes would release or not hold. As where if you had two and only one failed you'd run the risk of the car pulling to one side and driving it into a wall. Flawed thinking or not that's my reasoning.
Old 12/11/08, 09:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

does ABS pulse each brake individually or all brakes simultaneously? If simultaneous, then it wouldn't matter much if there were one solenoid or two.
Old 12/12/08, 11:31 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The other kits have a solenoid at each wheel the SLP kit has it's solenoid in between the master cylinder and the abs block.

I've heard pros and cons of both. The two to get seem to be the PMP kit (which I think uses Jegs/Summit solenoids) or the SLP. I choose the SLP for basically the same reason Leo did. Less parts, less chance of more than one thing going wrong. I've seem many racers use the SLP kit and with Leo's experience and first hand feedback, it was all I needed.

I've had zero issues with mine and there is NO problem holding the car with the one solenoid at all.

Originally Posted by nonsensez9
does ABS pulse each brake individually or all brakes simultaneously? If simultaneous, then it wouldn't matter much if there were one solenoid or two.
I don't know. Since it's between the master cylinder and the ABS block it seems like it would not matter with this kit. There is no pulsing at all. Flip the switch, front is locked down. I imagine the other kits are very similar or the same as well.

Last edited by habu; 12/12/08 at 11:33 PM.
Old 12/12/08, 11:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Black GT500
Could you give a few more details about the installation? Where and how do you tap into the brake system hydraulics? is it all don without cutting or destroying any factory parts?

Thanks

I won't go into much detail ... I will give you the Reader's Digest Version...

The kit is simple really, it comes with 2 brake lines, one connects from the 'Master Cylinder' to the solenoid...and the other from the solenoid to the 'Proportioning Valve', 1 solenoid, (as we all know), power supply wiring harness witch consists of a ON/OFF switch, wired fuse, one for positive and other for negative, some hardware for the intallation (self tapping screws)...thats it.

Everything fits in the original location of the stock brake line, there is no tapping, no cutting, no bending and no destroying of any of the original parts.

I would say the hardest part of the whole installation was running the wires through the fire wall, finding a place where to put the on/off switch inside the car, and bleeding the front brakes...I did the bleeding of the brakes the old fashion way, you definately need two people to do it that way...lol (it was a little messy)

Word of advise, try to empty the master cylinder of any brake fluid as much as you can before you remove the lines.

that's it...I can't think of anything else...

any questions?

Old 12/13/08, 09:29 PM
GT Member

thanks for all the great feedback on this...i ordered the slp and should be installing it next week tuesday maybe...then its time to waste some kuhmo rubber...
-- those that installed the slp : was the bleeding any more or less tedious than any other car? I plan on the single man method...maybe will go get some speed bleeders but i usually use a baseball bat to hold the pedal down with the force of the power seat and spray fluid all over when i open the bleed valves!!!
Old 12/14/08, 09:02 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I went with PMP because I wanted the 2 solenoids. I didn't want to have any problems. I'm very happy with how mine worked. You may have to piece it together, and it comes out to being a bit more, but then I don't have to worry about having any problems from only having one solenoid. Here's my installation write-up.

http://www.stangnet.com/Tech-Article...ll-080225.html
Old 12/15/08, 05:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 06SatinSilver
-- those that installed the slp : was the bleeding any more or less tedious than any other car? I plan on the single man method...maybe will go get some speed bleeders but i usually use a baseball bat to hold the pedal down with the force of the power seat and spray fluid all over when i open the bleed valves!!!
the bleeding was the same as any other car. You use a bat and the power seat...lol it would be a lot easier if you could get someone to help you with the bleeding...lol

Let us know how it works out?

Old 12/15/08, 05:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by DarkFireGT
I went with PMP because I wanted the 2 solenoids. I didn't want to have any problems. I'm very happy with how mine worked. You may have to piece it together, and it comes out to being a bit more, but then I don't have to worry about having any problems from only having one solenoid. Here's my installation write-up.

http://www.stangnet.com/Tech-Article...ll-080225.html

Nice write-up...but it seems kinda complicated...

The SLP install took about 2 hrs not including the bleeding of the brakes...

Old 12/15/08, 07:30 PM
GT Member

that write up was good until it won't load the last few pages...

-- installed the kit tonight...only tedious parts were getting the suction pump hose down in the res to get the fluid out and wrestling the stock line out of the car...also the spot where the solenoid mounts is not the easiest place to get a drill access to!!! the bleeding was very simple with the help of a bleeder kit from the adv auto...best 7 bucks i spent in a while! ...just gotta finish up the job and run the switch wire thru to the cabin and mount the switch up...then its tire frying time..

--- the instructions said that there was supposed to be a SLP decal included??? i dont see it...guess they forgot...
Old 12/16/08, 07:34 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CooBra07
Nice write-up...but it seems kinda complicated...

The SLP install took about 2 hrs not including the bleeding of the brakes...

It's not at all. It's very straight forward, actually. It took me about 3 hours, including brake bleeding and stopping to write down steps and take pictures. And I've never done anything like line locks before, so time wise, it's about the same.

Originally Posted by 06SatinSilver
that write up was good until it won't load the last few pages...

-- installed the kit tonight...only tedious parts were getting the suction pump hose down in the res to get the fluid out and wrestling the stock line out of the car...also the spot where the solenoid mounts is not the easiest place to get a drill access to!!! the bleeding was very simple with the help of a bleeder kit from the adv auto...best 7 bucks i spent in a while! ...just gotta finish up the job and run the switch wire thru to the cabin and mount the switch up...then its tire frying time..

--- the instructions said that there was supposed to be a SLP decal included??? i dont see it...guess they forgot...
It's working now. Must've been a server issue.

I know what you mean about drilling. I'm assuming it mounts on the strut tower? I had to drill to put my 2-Step in on the strut tower. What a PITA.

Quick Reply: best line lock kit?