GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Bassani X-pipe to stock Cats

Search this Thread

Old 8/30/05, 07:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From the looks of the X-pipe test in MM&FF, it looks like there are minimal gains by swapping out the factory cats and H-pipe. I am interested in the Bassani piece that just changes the crossover portion of the system and some of the pipe. (for different sound) I just purchased The flowmaster axle back kit, and now might buy the x-pipe. Anyone try this setup, or have a soundclip? I already tried the search function and did not find anything.
Old 8/30/05, 09:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have that setup - Bassani X-pipe replacing stock H-pipe, but retaining stock cats.

I didn't notice any drive difference, really, but it was definitely louder (I also have SLPs), but not so loud as to be overpowering or unreasonable. The sound has a deep, resonant tone to it, but can sound a little tin-y at times. Overall, I give it a , though. Definitely part of the unique sound of my car.

Edit: by the way, I've posted a number of times about this in various threads, probably occasionally with some greater amount of detail than above. Search threads by my name and maybe containing the term "X-pipe" (I almost always spell it that way) or "Bassani".
Old 8/30/05, 09:17 PM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
truthfully, I am really interested in what someone else who got the high flow cats xpipe posted abotu the HEAT level going down - these stock cats run HOT, man...
Old 8/30/05, 09:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Someone over at another Forum posted what the Flowmasters and the Bassani x with comp cats sounds like. Pretty sick if you ask me. Looks like I may have to swap cats after all. Anyone know how strict arizona is. I live in the town of Maricopa, so I'm hoping there is no emissions testing.
Old 8/30/05, 10:08 PM
FR500 Member

You won't have to worry about it for 5 years, but when that time comes, you better have stock cats, in the stock location. Living in Maricopa doesn't get you out of it. The entire county of Maricopa is under the strict testing. Well as strict as 5 years is, I guess. After that it's every other year for awhile, then every year if it gets real old......but who knows what regs will be like then.

Now if by that time, you have over 60k miles and can provide evidence that the stock cats failed, you can try and get a waiver. Red tape stinks though, so I guess if you can either deal with replacing the exhaust with stock cats in 5 years or going through the waiver process, then go for it.
Old 8/30/05, 10:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Oops forgot to post the link to the sound clip
http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=576638

The second file reminded me of my 93 notchback with 2 cats and single chamber flowmasters.
Old 8/30/05, 10:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by SixtySix@August 30, 2005, 9:11 PM
You won't have to worry about it for 5 years, but when that time comes, you better have stock cats, in the stock location. Living in Maricopa doesn't get you out of it. The entire county of Maricopa is under the strict testing. Well as strict as 5 years is, I guess. After that it's every other year for awhile, then every year if it gets real old......but who knows what regs will be like then.

Now if by that time, you have over 60k miles and can provide evidence that the stock cats failed, you can try and get a waiver. Red tape stinks though, so I guess if you can either deal with replacing the exhaust with stock cats in 5 years or going through the waiver process, then go for it.
Oddly enough the town of maricopa is in Pinal county. I have been trying to search the net to find out Pinal's regulations, but have had no luck...