GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Bassani help

Search this Thread

Old 2/28/06, 12:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was looking at Corsa but Bassani's SS cat-backs caught my eye.

How are these compared to stock?

Deeper?
Throatier?
Any raspiness?
Drone?

I heard it's about the same loudness as stock which is good for me. I don't want them so loud it wakes up the neighbors...

And how bout price compared to Corsa?

Thanks!
Old 2/28/06, 12:54 PM

I have Bassani and love them! They are deep, throaty, and have a unique sound. They aren't raspy, which I hate. There is some drone, but this is common with any exhaust you get. You'll get use to the drone, it's kind of cool sometimes! I have a few sound clips if you're interested, but I have an off-road MAC Pro Chamber, which makes it louder than without.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tw0scoops123 @ February 28, 2006, 2:18 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I was looking at Corsa but Bassani's SS cat-backs caught my eye.

How are these compared to stock?

Deeper?
Throatier?
Any raspiness?
Drone?

I heard it's about the same loudness as stock which is good for me. I don't want them so loud it wakes up the neighbors...

And how bout price compared to Corsa?

Thanks!
[/b][/quote]
Old 2/28/06, 01:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

How does it sound in the cabin when you are drving on the highway at cruising speeds?
Old 2/28/06, 03:28 PM
Cobra R Member

There are a zillion threads on this, but I have owned factory, bassani, and borla/ford racing axle backs. the factory is best for low drone, and pretty nice sound. The bassani are best for a deep but louder tone, but a decent amount of drone. The Borla/Ford Racing axle backs are the deepest sounding, but about the same amount of drone. If you cant handle some drone then you should stay with factory. I love the Borla best. Good luck. both bassani and borla are about the same drone at near same speeds.
Old 2/28/06, 03:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sodaman @ February 28, 2006, 5:31 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
There are a zillion threads on this, but I have owned factory, bassani, and borla/ford racing axle backs. the factory is best for low drone, and pretty nice sound. The bassani are best for a deep but louder tone, but a decent amount of drone. The Borla/Ford Racing axle backs are the deepest sounding, but about the same amount of drone. If you cant handle some drone then you should stay with factory. I love the Borla best. Good luck. both bassani and borla are about the same drone at near same speeds.
[/b][/quote]

I'm kinda confused by what you wrote. Borla is deeper than Bassani, but not as loud? Is that what you meant?

Also, what is drone? I have never had aftermarket exhaust so I'm not sure I know what it sounds like. Do we have it on our stock s197s?

PS Sorry for making another post on top of the zillion other posts, but there arent too many comparing borla and bassani, or at least from the ones i searched for.
Old 2/28/06, 06:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Drone is a low bass resonation. A lot of the time it will hurt your ears. Bassani does have drone. I've had Magnapaks, JBA, and Bassani. All drone. I'm going to try Corsa because everyone who has had them say there is no drone at all.
Old 2/28/06, 07:13 PM
Team Mustang Source

What is drone you ask...it would be best if you could hear it first hand 'cause you may not like too much of it or, you might be like a friend of mine who loves it. It is very subjective. I would try and describe it as a loud hum that resonates the whole cabin. It occurs right around 1900-2000 RPM. I could feel the vibrations in anything in the cabin that I touched. I almost bought Magnapacks but I had the opportunity to test drive them on someone else's car...very bad drone IMO. I had Bassani for several months...much less drone but in the end too much for my ears and my daily trek of 60+ miles every day mixed city/highway. My SW setup is very aggressive compared to stock, not quite as loud or as deep as Bassani but still pretty deep and quite a bit louder than stock, a teeny bit raspy, but next to zero drone. The SW setup doesn't turn as many heads as the Bassani sound did, but that includes those with uniforms, which is good!
I think if you take the stock s197 in 5th gear uphill at around 1500 rpm and floor it up though 2500, if there's any sort of heavy resonance in the cabin, however faint, that's the beginnings of drone. With most aftermarket exhaust you won't need to load the engine to feel/hear the drone...simply cruise at 1900 rpm to enjoy the full pleasure of it!
My drone scale would be Stock-1, Stainless Works-2, Bassani-6, Magnapack-10. Other ears may rate them differently...
Old 2/28/06, 07:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Bummer cuz I heard Borla's were a real nice low throaty tone, but like the others have some drone. I dunno what I should do.I def wanna get a new exhaust with a real deep throat, but I don't want much more "drone".

I'd get corsa but I hear they don't have as deep of a tone as bassani or borla, plus they are real expensive, even though they dont have any drone... any ideas?
Old 3/1/06, 09:42 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tw0scoops123 @ February 28, 2006, 11:01 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Bummer cuz I heard Borla's were a real nice low throaty tone, but like the others have some drone. I dunno what I should do.I def wanna get a new exhaust with a real deep throat, but I don't want much more "drone".

I'd get corsa but I hear they don't have as deep of a tone as bassani or borla, plus they are real expensive, even though they dont have any drone... any ideas?
[/b][/quote]
Corsa and Borla are both pricey..Corsa-at least $600and borla very near 600.I doubt corsas have No drone though.
Old 3/1/06, 10:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

Stainless Works for virtually no drone
Summit Racing carries them
Old 3/2/06, 07:49 AM

You're worrying too much about the drone. Don't worry. I was the same way. Like previous posts, some people like it. I actually don't mind it and think it's kind of cool. It's just a humming sound when you hit certain rpms and then it goes away. It just reminds you that your car sounds sweet from the outside. Any exhaust is going to have some drone and it really isn't a big deal at all.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tw0scoops123 @ February 28, 2006, 10:01 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]
Old 3/2/06, 08:34 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I've had the Bassani kit which I really liked. It did have noticable drone at about 1900 rpm. I sold it to try something different.......I can't say anthing bad about it, it is a great system.

I now have Corsa kit; I will be installing it tonight!! I can't wait, it just arrived this morning. I have heard many Corsa kits in person and they are awesome! Pricey, yes. Drone, no. Deep, yes. Loud, yes. Borla loud? No. That sums it up.
Old 3/2/06, 10:39 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kybosh27 @ March 2, 2006, 6:52 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
You're worrying too much about the drone. Don't worry. I was the same way. Like previous posts, some people like it. I actually don't mind it and think it's kind of cool. It's just a humming sound when you hit certain rpms and then it goes away. It just reminds you that your car sounds sweet from the outside. Any exhaust is going to have some drone and it really isn't a big deal at all.
[/b][/quote]

+1- Don't worry about the drone. Get what ever exhaust you think sound's the best!