GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Axle back exhaust with good sound and no drone?

Search this Thread

Old 12/5/06, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know which ones don't drone but on my automatic GT the Bassanis' drone so bad between 1700 and 2000 RPM that I can't believe they sold them like that! Interestingly enough this is also the RPM range that the car spends most of it's cruising time at.
Old 12/6/06, 04:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Chris06GT
What about Steeda?
Steeda's are the exact same as Borla and Ford Racing.

Borla makes all of them, Ford Racing and Steeda just pay them to brand it a different name.
Old 12/6/06, 04:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

When you guys are talking about the Magnaflows, are you talking about the Magnapacks or the regular Magnaflow mufflers?

Also, do JBAs drone?

I listened to the Edelbrock axle-back and it sounds good, I can't tell if there is any drone though, does anyone have these?
Old 12/6/06, 04:50 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Stang281
When you guys are talking about the Magnaflows, are you talking about the Magnapacks or the regular Magnaflow mufflers?

Also, do JBAs drone?

I listened to the Edelbrock axle-back and it sounds good, I can't tell if there is any drone though, does anyone have these?
I thought about getting the Edelbrocks until they told me it was made of aluminized steel. The tips are the only thing stainless on those mufflers. It's great if you live in a dry area w/o any moisture or drive the car only on nice sunny, dry, and salt-free days.
Old 12/6/06, 04:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by metroplex
I thought about getting the Edelbrocks until they told me it was made of aluminized steel. The tips are the only thing stainless on those mufflers. It's great if you live in a dry area w/o any moisture or drive the car only on nice sunny, dry, and salt-free days.
You can get them in stainless steel.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...-mustang.shtml
Old 12/6/06, 05:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Hmmm I wonder why the edelbrock rep didn't tell me about them?
Part # is 5654
Old 12/6/06, 09:40 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Badandy
So I've narrowed it down to Magnaflows or GTA's.

What do you all think the differences are?

BadAndy - having had both axelback systems (Magnaflow & the GTA's) there is a pretty large difference in sound. The Magnaflow actually quiets the stock exhaust tone and takes the sharp edge off of it (due to the straight through design) whereas the GTA's keep the stock sound, but increase the volume and deepen the tone a bit without any drone. I have the GTA's now on my '07 and would never go back to the Magnaflows - just not enough difference from the stock sound and they do "muddy" the sound a bit AND they are more expensive than the GTA's... Both systems are quality and the entire muffler & tip on the Magnaflow is polished (which I painted black to blend anyway) whereas just the tips on the GTA's are polished....GET the GTA's you will not be dissappointed
Old 12/6/06, 10:04 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

HOTLAP thanks for the insight. The GTA's sound like what I want. I have Magnaflows with an OR X. I noticed that when I put the Magnaflows on I lost some of the depth in sound. If the GTA's are deeper than stock, they will probably sound amazing.
Old 12/6/06, 10:14 AM
Cobra Member

Thanks a lot HOTLAP. I'll go with the GTA's and let you all know how I like them.

(and the price is half of bassani, that's good)
Old 12/6/06, 11:21 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Stang281

Also, do JBAs drone?

I have JBAs and yes they drone...right between 1700 and 2000 rpm. They do sound good though
Old 12/6/06, 11:56 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by max2000jp
HOTLAP thanks for the insight. The GTA's sound like what I want. I have Magnaflows with an OR X. I noticed that when I put the Magnaflows on I lost some of the depth in sound. If the GTA's are deeper than stock, they will probably sound amazing.
With the GTA's they are enough to turn people's heads when you drive by - but in no way obnoxious.
Old 12/6/06, 12:01 PM
Cobra Member

Thanks a lot HOTLAP. I'll go with the GTA's and let you all know how I like them.

(and the price is half of bassani, that's good)

Andy - if you do end up with the GTA's I think you will like them. And they clear up and become deeper with about 1K miles on them. Mine had a lot of oil residue inside them and I saw smoke out the exhaust the 1st couple of time I drove the car....don't worry that's normal though. Be patient during installation as it takes a bit of effort to get the axleback systems lined up right and even....was the same amount of work with both my Magnaflow and GTA's systems. I'm going to head to the muffler shop soon and have them tac welded right above the clamps and have the "air gun" torque down the clamps as well so they don't work loose.....only so much leverage you can generate on your back with a 1/2" drive torque wrench
Old 12/6/06, 12:27 PM
Cobra Member

I don't know if there are multiple GTA's, so do you know where I can get the Axle-backs you have for the best price online?
Old 12/6/06, 02:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hmmm I wonder why the edelbrock rep didn't tell me about them?
Part # is 5654
They might not have been out when you called.
Old 12/6/06, 02:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by AirGoNomyk
I have JBAs and yes they drone...right between 1700 and 2000 rpm. They do sound good though
Oh, I know, from all of the videos i've seen the JBAs sound really great, I just wish they didn't drone.
Old 12/6/06, 03:50 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
What funny about droning muffler noise is when the Mrs. doesn't like it...then the real droning begins Its a double dose of drone.
Old 12/7/06, 04:04 PM
Cobra Member

Anyone know where the best price is?
Old 12/7/06, 05:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well, I just talked with Gary @ Edelbrock and he says that the aluminized steel versions with TI-Tech coating are rust-resistant.

He said the tips were not, so I sent him a reply and said that I thought stainless-steel was rust-resistant, will probably get a response tomorrow.
Old 12/7/06, 05:01 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone know where the best price is?
try here ! www.ninosport.com
Old 12/7/06, 05:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Does anyone have the Mac exhaust? Does it drone?

Quick Reply: Axle back exhaust with good sound and no drone?