GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Axle back exhaust with good sound and no drone?

Search this Thread

Old 12/4/06, 09:14 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hiznherponies
Check out the axlebacks used on the shelby gt, ford part# m-5320-GTA, I believe, the GTA part is right for sure. But they are only a little louder than stock, and deepen as they break in.

+1 - I have them and the sound is great - deepens and louder than stock - but keep the stock exhaust sound charcteristics and the 4" dual wall tips fit the rear valance perfectly! Plus their price is great too.
Old 12/4/06, 09:29 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lowe!

Flowmasters =/= no drone.

But I love mine anyway!
Yeah, That's right... minimal to zero drone
Old 12/4/06, 09:53 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris06GT
What about Steeda?
Steeda's also drone. Very similar to the Stingers.

Yes the Stingers do drone but wether it is a lot or just a little is subjective. I am fine with it and would not want to go any louder where as some say it is to much.

Never tried them but the Corsa'a and the FRPP GTA's are the ones people on hear say drone the least.
Old 12/4/06, 10:54 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by blkstang06
I've been running the GTA's for about three months I had SLP's so I know all about cabin drone. The GTA's have low restriction and no cabin drone but a More aggressive sound note than factory! low rumble and as there tempered with use they do sound even better! I've had axle backs on that cost twice much but these are very impressive, the tip is not just 4" rolled its 4" doubled wall show qaulity!.....

Another +1 for the GTA's....
Old 12/4/06, 11:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by GPStang06
Steeda's also drone. Very similar to the Stingers.

Yes the Stingers do drone but wether it is a lot or just a little is subjective. I am fine with it and would not want to go any louder where as some say it is to much.

Never tried them but the Corsa'a and the FRPP GTA's are the ones people on hear say drone the least.
Steeda = FRPP = Borla Stingers.

I have Stingers and they do drone. That's a fact... I play with O/D to avoid RPMs around 1,700 - 2,000... around this the drone is insane , though it's not so bad after I got new Race tune from Doug on Saturday.
Old 12/4/06, 12:05 PM
Cobra Member

Thanks for all your help. This is a great thread guys!

So far, it seems like i should get some GTA's being as though they sound better than stock and have no drone and are cheap.

How about Magnaflow?
Old 12/4/06, 01:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SteelTownStang
Yeah, That's right... minimal to zero drone

Mine have significant drone (4th/5th gear around 1600-2000 rpm), but then you have sequential taillights, so maybe that helps yours drone less.

I'm interested to know how much the CAI could help reduce drone?
Old 12/4/06, 01:45 PM
Team Mustang Source

I almost hijacked this thread, but thought better of it. Those with flows please read here. Thanks.
Old 12/4/06, 04:55 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Lowe!

Mine have significant drone (4th/5th gear around 1600-2000 rpm), but then you have sequential taillights, so maybe that helps yours drone less.

I'm interested to know how much the CAI could help reduce drone?
Good for you, I see that you have sequentials on you planned mods list... I think that your 35% tint may also be effecting your drone issue. The drone is contained inside the car and can't excape through the tint. Some advice though, If you're experiencing SIGNIFICANT drone with Flowmasters, then I'd trade them in on Stingers. Clearly you have no idea what drone is... . Back to earth, I don't believe that I've ever read where someone has claimed to have experienced SIGNIFICANT drone with Flows. Now for some real advice, maybe your clamps are loose, and yes, CAI's effects the sound- can't say if it reduces drone though, remember? I don't have any...
Old 12/4/06, 05:01 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Badandy

So far, it seems like i should get some GTA's being as though they sound better than stock and have no drone and are cheap.

How about Magnaflow?
Magnflows are nice. I have them on my car with an OR X-pipe. My car got rear ended and I am looking at new muffler setups. It sounds like the GTA might be something to consider. I've been looking real closely at Bassanis. I want a deeper tone.
Old 12/4/06, 05:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
What about Steeda?

Basically the same as the FFRP or Borla's. In fact I believe Borla makes them for Steeda. Same drone is present.
Old 12/4/06, 05:09 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Basically the same as the FFRP or Borla's. In fact I believe Borla makes them for Steeda. Same drone is present.
yes they do! your right...70MACH1OWNER...
Old 12/4/06, 05:11 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
What about Steeda?
EHCO...EHco...echo...
Borlas makes Stingers for Steeda also,just a diferent logo.As mentioned I have FRPP Stingers(Borlas) and they louder than the GTA's.I heard a side by comparison of the two and I really wish I'd had gotten the GTA's,but I'm living with my choice because the Stinger sound is OK for me.Thats my story and I'm droning with it
Old 12/4/06, 05:12 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Anyone have a clip of the GTAs vs stock? Or better yet, GTA's with an OR X-Pipe?
Old 12/4/06, 05:18 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by max2000jp
Magnflows are nice. I have them on my car with an OR X-pipe. My car got rear ended and I am looking at new muffler setups. It sounds like the GTA might be something to consider. I've been looking real closely at Bassanis. I want a deeper tone.
I ran the Bassanis before I ran the SLP'S before I got my GTA's the Bass's sound great! the problem I had was they sounded just as good inside the car! Theres a reason Shelby, Foose and blkstang06 run GTA's...
Old 12/4/06, 05:22 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by blkstang06
I ran the Bassanis before I ran the SLP'S before I got my GTA's the Bass's sound great! the problem I had was they sounded just as good inside the car! Theres a reason Shelby, Foose and blkstang06 run GTA's...
So you are saying the Bassanis drone?
Old 12/4/06, 05:32 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Badandy

How about Magnaflow?
I have a set of Magnaflow axlebacks that I took off my '05 with the nice dual wall 4" tips....but I got tired of how quiet they were (and remember I'm an old guy - so that's saying something ) and although the Magnaflows are the straight through design and are supposed to give you an extra hp or 2....due to the design they tend to "muffel" the sound so it's not as sharp as it should be.....imagine putting a towel over the end of the exhaust and you get my point. And the GTA's are every bit as quality as the Magnaflows (so far anyways) just less expensive by quite a bit...
Old 12/4/06, 05:34 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by GrabberOgre
EHCO...EHco...echo...
Borlas makes Stingers for Steeda also,just a diferent logo.As mentioned I have FRPP Stingers(Borlas) and they louder than the GTA's.I heard a side by comparison of the two and I really wish I'd had gotten the GTA's,but I'm living with my choice because the Stinger sound is OK for me.Thats my story and I'm droning with it

Pat take a for your honesty and telling it like it is .....
Old 12/4/06, 05:49 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

[quote=max2000jp;793149]So you are saying the Bassanis drone?[/quotes not be blunt!... but yes! don't get me wrong! there beautifully made a real mantel piece in fact I had them there for awhile till the Boss (wife) made me take them down The Bass's or SLP's are not to bad on the highway but city driving RPM's below 2000 or accelerating they be droning witch causes a lot of passenger groaning
Old 12/4/06, 05:58 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by HOTLAP
I have a set of Magnaflow axlebacks that I took off my '05 with the nice dual wall 4" tips....but I got tired of how quiet they were (and remember I'm an old guy - so that's saying something ) and although the Magnaflows are the straight through design and are supposed to give you an extra hp or 2....due to the design they tend to "muffel" the sound so it's not as sharp as it should be.....imagine putting a towel over the end of the exhaust and you get my point. And the GTA's are every bit as quality as the Magnaflows (so far anyways) just less expensive by quite a bit...
How would you compare the tone of the Magnaflows to the GTA's?

Quick Reply: Axle back exhaust with good sound and no drone?