GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Which Axle-back to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 3/18/05, 07:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://64.177.72.121/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30

try this site for additional info. i have flowmasters on the wife's GT. don't like it. i love the bassani on my cobra. i have bassani axle back system waiting to be installed on the GT.
Old 3/20/05, 05:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by JerseyBlue+March 17, 2005, 3:15 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JerseyBlue @ March 17, 2005, 3:15 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-MaverickMLFD371@March 17, 2005, 7:52 AM
i was in the situation as you, i was up in the air between flowmaster, SLP or MAC. Flowmaster was my #1 choice, till I called them up and found out how much they were charging I said forget it. SLP sounded great but I wanted it to be more louder and sound almost like flowmaster. Then one of my good buddies on here had the MAC kit and he said it sounded great, sounded like Flowmasters, but louder. Came online and found a clip, listened to it, i fell in love! I'm goin with the MAC Performance SS Axle Back. I've heard MAC Mufflers on previous older Mustangs and they sound terrific, def does sound like Flowmasters.
where did you hear that clip from yeah im with this guy, i think every system sounds no where near as good as mac. The corsa system sounds decent and so does borla but is it worth the 400+ dollars more then a mac system, NO WAY
[/b][/quote]

Hey JerseyBlue,
Did you ever find the sound clip for the MAC axleback system?? I have been in the search mode for weeks and can't make up my mind. You sure can't beat the price of the MAC system but I would sure like to hear a clip or get more feedback from guys that have bought them. Anybody out there have them?? They seem to have everything the Bassani and Magnaflows have but are 200 bucks cheaper. What the down side??

70Mach1Owner :bang:
Old 3/20/05, 06:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One thing is certain - everyone has their own opinion. Here's mine: Magnaflow AxleBack's look & sound great. Installation was somewhat of a pain as I got an earlier kit with a late model production factory exhaust. However, I understand that issue has been corrected with new kits. I do agree with others that recommend hearing each for yourself in person. Sound clips can be deceiving.

Not sure how much the Magnaflow's cost now - bought mine back in December, before my car had even arrived, from Part Shopper with a coupon code for $367.62.
Old 3/20/05, 08:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by tmcolegr@March 20, 2005, 7:08 AM
One thing is certain - everyone has their own opinion. Here's mine: Magnaflow AxleBack's look & sound great. Installation was somewhat of a pain as I got an earlier kit with a late model production factory exhaust. However, I understand that issue has been corrected with new kits. I do agree with others that recommend hearing each for yourself in person. Sound clips can be deceiving.

I hear ya about the sound clips. What I am looking for is stainless steel construction with 3 or 4 inch tips. I want something a little more aggressive than stock but not ridiculous. ( I am 5o yrs old. ) I have been leaning toward the Magnaflows or the Bassani but they are pretty pricey. The SLP's will most likely be too loud for my tastes. The JBA's get some of the best reviews on their sound but are made from aluminized steel which I am not crazy about. The Macs are stainless steel with 4 inch rolled tips and can be had for a little over 300 bucks. It doesn't seem there is much if any horsepower to be gained over stock from anyone so that's not part of the equation. Just haven't found much opinion pros or cons on the MACS. LETS HEAR IT FROM THE MAC GUYS!!!!!!

70Mach1Owner
Old 3/20/05, 08:26 AM
GT Member

No one mentioned the Steeda Axel-back so I have to chime in. I got it installed 2 days ago... and I love it. Several people have waved me down to ask who makes it. I'm not a big fan of the rolled tips and this setup fills the exhaust cutouts perfectly.

1st is LOUD. After 1st it's loud if you want it to be. This exhaust makes shifting the 05 sound like it feels... smooth and powerful. But at cruising speed it is hardly noticable.

my 2 cents.

Old 3/20/05, 10:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by 05silverGT@March 20, 2005, 9:29 AM
No one mentioned the Steeda Axel-back so I have to chime in. I got it installed 2 days ago... and I love it. Several people have waved me down to ask who makes it. I'm not a big fan of the rolled tips and this setup fills the exhaust cutouts perfectly.

1st is LOUD. After 1st it's loud if you want it to be. This exhaust makes shifting the 05 sound like it feels... smooth and powerful. But at cruising speed it is hardly noticable.

my 2 cents.

I have also considered the Steeda. Priced about the same as Magnaflows. They look like they may be kinda loud. How about a MAC user!!

70Mach1owner
Old 3/20/05, 10:36 AM
GT Member

The best built exhaust on the market is made by Stainless Works. There are a few of us on here that are running their exhaust and the quality, sound, and price are amazing. Contact Al at 1-800-878-3635 and tell him Chad sent you!
Old 3/20/05, 10:41 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally posted by turbochad@March 20, 2005, 11:39 AM
The best built exhaust on the market is made by Stainless Works. There are a few of us on here that are running their exhaust and the quality, sound, and price are amazing. Contact Al at 1-800-878-3635 and tell him Chad sent you!
Turbochad,
Is there a website to view them on?? Tell me more about them. I have not seen their name before. Do you have any pics?

70Mach1owner
Old 3/20/05, 10:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by tmcolegr@March 20, 2005, 7:08 AM

Not sure how much the Magnaflow's cost now - bought mine back in December, before my car had even arrived, from Part Shopper with a coupon code for $367.62.
LOL - I just went through this this week. Bought my Magnaflow axle backs from partshopper for 397.00. Got them delivered, went to put them on, and WTf??? Partshopper and Magnaflow made it right with a new kit(I was able to do a direct swap at Magnaflow since I was local). The new kits have 2 of the "big" notches so they will work with either build. I had them on and adjusted in less than an hour.
Old 3/20/05, 11:44 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I have been toying with the idea of just getting an x-pipe and using the OEM axle back. I am sure I will gain some sound and gain some power. Anyone have a sound clip of just an X-pipe on the stock exhaust system?
Old 3/20/05, 01:32 PM
Team Mustang Source

What about the IMCO Performance Exhaust system. Anyone install this yet? I was considering it because the mufflers where painted black and the tips looked pretty good from the pictures. NinoSport has them for $369.95. That sounds like a good deal to me. Any opinions on these?
Old 3/20/05, 02:05 PM

Originally posted by 70MACH1OWNER+March 20, 2005, 6:55 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(70MACH1OWNER @ March 20, 2005, 6:55 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by JerseyBlue@March 17, 2005, 3:15 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-MaverickMLFD371
@March 17, 2005, 7:52 AM
i was in the situation as you, i was up in the air between flowmaster, SLP or MAC. Flowmaster was my #1 choice, till I called them up and found out how much they were charging I said forget it. SLP sounded great but I wanted it to be more louder and sound almost like flowmaster. Then one of my good buddies on here had the MAC kit and he said it sounded great, sounded like Flowmasters, but louder. Came online and found a clip, listened to it, i fell in love! I'm goin with the MAC Performance SS Axle Back. I've heard MAC Mufflers on previous older Mustangs and they sound terrific, def does sound like Flowmasters.

where did you hear that clip from yeah im with this guy, i think every system sounds no where near as good as mac. The corsa system sounds decent and so does borla but is it worth the 400+ dollars more then a mac system, NO WAY

Hey JerseyBlue,
Did you ever find the sound clip for the MAC axleback system?? I have been in the search mode for weeks and can't make up my mind. You sure can't beat the price of the MAC system but I would sure like to hear a clip or get more feedback from guys that have bought them. Anybody out there have them?? They seem to have everything the Bassani and Magnaflows have but are 200 bucks cheaper. What the down side??

70Mach1Owner :bang:
[/b][/quote]

i had it but the guy took it off his host and i didnt have it saved, but trust me, its the catback to go with, price sound performance and look
Old 3/20/05, 07:51 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by max2000jp@March 20, 2005, 2:47 PM
I have been toying with the idea of just getting an x-pipe and using the OEM axle back. I am sure I will gain some sound and gain some power. Anyone have a sound clip of just an X-pipe on the stock exhaust system?
I hear ya - I have been thinking of putting an offroad prochamber on mine and seeing how the stock mufflers sound. If I had to choose, I'd probably go with a prochamber or H-pipe on the stock mufflers, since they are "chambered" mufflers.

If and when I bite the bullet, I'll make sure to have vids...
Old 3/20/05, 07:57 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by 96vert@March 20, 2005, 9:54 PM

I hear ya - I have been thinking of putting an offroad prochamber on mine and seeing how the stock mufflers sound. If I had to choose, I'd probably go with a prochamber or H-pipe on the stock mufflers, since they are "chambered" mufflers.

If and when I bite the bullet, I'll make sure to have vids...

I think I might go this route. I will take a sound clip as well. I cannot see paying 300-600 dollars on an axle-back just for sound. If I get an X-pipe or prochamber, I get some sound plus free up some extra hp.
Old 3/21/05, 05:44 PM
Cobra R Member

Installed my Bassani axelbacks today. I thought that I would have them Friday, but had to wait till today. I only heard clips until today.

I will not know for sure how well they sound for about 2 weeks, as they burn off the oils and break in, but since they will only sound better, I am totally pleased by the sound that they make now.

First, there is no way that you will not make good sound when taking off from a dead stop, no matter how fast. The cop next to me was very intertested in my car earlier today, but after I got it to 2000 rpm, it quieted down. After 3000 rpm or when ever you punch the throttle, look out! It also idles at a good sound. B4 with stock you could not hear the motor, now you know it means business.

Put them on myself too. There is only one bolt that is hard to reach, but you can reach it. This bolt would be a problem no matter what system you put on when removing the stock muffler, but the Bassani gives you more room when reestablishing that bolt in place.

There is a slight drone, b4 2000 rpm, but I like it. This will always be an opinion issue. I will give this advice though, if you do not like a drone, you may as well stay with the stock system, because you will not be happy in most cases.

As it is, I can easily hear my stereo at all times. The rev volume increase helps here with the shaker 1000.
Old 3/21/05, 06:11 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

38Special, thanks for the review. How does the drone at 2K rpms compare to stock? There is a slight drone with the OEM exhaust, but I like that as well.
Old 3/21/05, 07:06 PM
Cobra R Member

1000-2000rpm, drone is 3 times louder than stock. You have to play stereo two levels higher to hear it without problems, imo. Remember at idle it is louder too.
Old 3/22/05, 01:04 PM
Team Mustang Source

I just ordered the IMCO Performance Exahust. I should get it by this weekend and have it installed. I was looking for something loud so I think this should fullfill my wishes. I'll post a sound clip when installed.
Old 3/22/05, 05:55 PM
Bullitt Member

just got confirmation that my flowmaster kit was shipped today. I should have it at the end of the week and will make some sound clips ASAP.
Old 3/27/05, 09:00 AM
Team Mustang Source

Well I installed my IMCO system Friday night. First off let me just say that this system is VERY, VERY LOUD. I was looking for something loud.... I accomplished my mission. My buddy John has a 93 coupe with an off-road H-Pipe and 2 chamber flows. We started each car next to each other and mine was just as loud if not louder. Keep in mind this was just the IMCO axle back system with my stock cats. Attached is a pic of the stock and IMCO system next to each other. I'm going outside now to take a video sound clip. I'm not sure if I can post that here but if not I may need someone to help out with the clip.

Quick Reply: Which Axle-back to buy?