GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Auto GT owners come in!!!

Search this Thread

Old 8/7/06, 03:09 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto GT owners come in!!!

I have a question for you guys, can your auto chip or even spin the tires off the line from a dead stop. Mine used to be able to get a good chirp in first and a babby chirp in second, but is seems like after my first oil change the car felt a little sluggish. I cant even get any chirp at all, having O/D and T/C off dont make any difference, I even load torque converter it to about 2500 and floor it and it still wont spin them. My car feels sluggish in general, not like when i first got it. Here are some more examples, I'm going about 40 and see a new grad prix come up and try to race, its not a gxp(300hp) or even a GTP(260hp) its the regular gt version which has 200hp I laugh it off and turn over drive off the guy then floors it and so do I. I was stunned he flipping pulled me from a roll with a 200hp car I wasn't even reeling him in. So I think ok I heard about these computers adapting to driving habit so i un hooked the battery for about an hour and went driving around. I see a older gen mustang the 99-04 model. It was a stick shift gt, we both are at a light and and he wanted to race he said he was bonestock and we chatted up for a bit the we raced. He took me by about a car and held it there all the way until about 65-70 then i started to pull ahead then we both shut down. Does anyone know what the problem is with my car it just feels so dang sluggish i cant believe it, should i take it in or what, because i have head of plunty of people with autos just roasting the tires from a dead stop with out brake torqueing.
Old 8/7/06, 03:55 PM
Bullitt Member

something is wrong. my car runs totally different, but i have a 93 octane tune from alternative auto and a cnl cai. go get your car checked out.
Old 8/7/06, 04:03 PM
GT Member

Mine is like that too! I dont think there is anything wrong.
Old 8/7/06, 04:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Well mine is an auto, but mine kicks ***. With TCS off I can light them up easy, even a little chirp with it on, so uhm, yeah, there's probably something wrong
Old 8/7/06, 04:49 PM
GT Member

Well actually I can burn rubber from a dead stop when the TCS is off. But I dont recall hearing it chirp in the second gear.
Old 8/7/06, 05:25 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by tx2005gt
something is wrong. my car runs totally different, but i have a 93 octane tune from alternative auto and a cnl cai. go get your car checked out.
When I take it in what do i say, don't I need a specific reason.
Old 8/7/06, 06:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cmm101
Does anyone know what the problem is with my car
Yea... it's bone stock and it's the middle of summer, what do you expect?
Old 8/7/06, 06:47 PM

I agree with Don w the heat deffinately plays a roll. I miss the cool nights here in Florida where you could get a bit more pull from the cool air.
Old 8/7/06, 09:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

mine won't spin from a stop if the wheels are facing forward, even with 4.10 gears. It will spin around if the wheels are angled though. All I have is an intake, mufflers, and a generic tune for 87 octain, here on the coast of Santa Monica and Malibu. It's never been able to spin from a stop (even before it got hot) which I don't mind really, I don't have to worry about getting squirrely Though, it does bark pretty hard for the first 2 or 3 shifts after the tune and gears, I don't think it barked at all when it was all stock.

Personally, I feel that the engine is still being somewhat limited in the lower RPMs somehow, all of that computeraided stuff I don't understand. It feels like a dog on the low-end. Maybe I'm just used to the chevy small blocks, but it feels like the low end torque grunt is missing. I saw a torque graph of an 05 or 06 GT, I believe it was making something like 250+ lbs of torque before 1500 RPM, it should feel alot more powerful on the lowend if that graph was correct. Or maybe that particular graph was dynoed incorrectly. Either way, the top end seems to be pretty good, certainly better than my old chevy, it fell flat on it's face after 5k, but **** did it pull hard from 2500-4500

I have stock tires BTW
Old 8/7/06, 09:15 PM
FR500 Member

Wait till the winter, then get back to us. Then you'll be wondering why your car came alive all of a sudden.

Just as an example, I run my car with retarded timing in the summer so the computer won't retard as much on it's own.

Oh yeah, and I live in hades.... it's hot here
Old 8/7/06, 11:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by RACING GT
Well actually I can burn rubber from a dead stop when the TCS is off. But I dont recall hearing it chirp in the second gear.
I didn't mean I can get a chirp in like second or 3rd gear, have never been able to do that. I meant a chirp with the TCS on and launching.

Either way, I really doubt the heat would affect it as much as he says it is. He would know better than us, he's the one that's been driving. But if I notice a drop in performance that drastic, dam right I'm taking it to the dealer. By the way, I know there are some issues with some fuel pumps, but that's mostly like stuttering and stalling symptoms I think. Check the TSB's, see if anything matches your symptoms.
Old 8/7/06, 11:34 PM
Cobra R Member

something is definitely wrong, everyone seems to forget that a plain jane gran prix pulled on him. something way wrong. Its hot, 100 degrees here, can easily burn tires with a little brake torquing. I ran against a WS6 the other day, I was a car behind him when he took off, we pretty much stayed the same distance all the way to the stop sign. So no gran prix is going to come close, I have not modded the engine in anyway only have ford racing axle backs which arent much if any gains. So tell them your car cant keep up with a gran prix all of a sudden and they will laugh, but hopefully will be able to look at something for you. ggod luck
Old 8/8/06, 01:02 AM

Mine with the TCS on will chirp, when I have the TCS off I will spin my tires from a dead stop.
Old 8/8/06, 07:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have a bone stock auto. I havent tried to burn them in 1st. I have just been driving around in in D. I will turn the overdirve on and off alot but havent really tried racing from a dead stop. This past weekend I was heading to play golf saturday morning with my son. We are following a Dodge Magnum and we finally get to a 2 lane section he pulls to my right to let me by..or so I think. I get next to him and he goes for it and so do I. I tell my son hold on as we are going to spank this b*tch and to my astonishment he starts to pull away from me slightly! He had the hemi but still at the weight of those cars I figured I would leave him. I finally got by him but Im not sure if he let off or I got him to be honest. I was doing 120 mph by the time we got by. It all happened pretty quick though. Needless to say I didnt need any extra help hitting the golf ball when we got there. I will see if I can turn the tires on mine tonight in lower gears or not and post back on it.
Old 8/8/06, 09:18 AM
GT Member

I have no problem at all smoking the tires from a dead stop with TC on even and im running 18x9.5 wheels in the rear with 275/40/18 Nitto 555's. Only performance mods I have is a magnaflow o/r X pipe and magnaflow axleback.
Old 8/8/06, 09:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

I just posted a poll asking about this exact issue. Seems some (including myself) can barely even chirp at all, while others seem to be able to smoke em easy. Wish I knew why there is such a difference.
Old 8/8/06, 10:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rash
I just posted a poll about asking about this exact issue. Seems some (including myself) can barely even chirp at all, while others seem to be able to smoke em easy. Wish I knew why there is such a difference.
Believe it or not, the road surface is a factor. For example, it is easier on smooth pavement than on rough. Also, it is easier on an upgrade than it is going downhill. Try it...
Old 8/8/06, 11:33 AM
Bullitt Member

I was never able to catch 2nd with it stock (or even with the diablow tune) Heat/humidity/barometric pressure all play a part with performance in the summer. Running an ethy 93 blend I have no trouble loudly catching 2nd and sometimes 3rd. Running race gas at the track I spin reliably in 2nd and 3rd on street tires, just 2nd with the MT's.

I would be surprised at anyone barking 2nd with a stock tune.
Old 8/8/06, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by My Blue Heaven
I was never able to catch 2nd with it stock (or even with the diablow tune) Heat/humidity/barometric pressure all play a part with performance in the summer. Running an ethy 93 blend I have no trouble loudly catching 2nd and sometimes 3rd. Running race gas at the track I spin reliably in 2nd and 3rd on street tires, just 2nd with the MT's.

I would be surprised at anyone barking 2nd with a stock tune.
With my tune it will always chirp into second at WOT Mostly due to the harder shift, it seems. From a start, tire spin varies. If the tires are warm and the road sticky it may not chirp. But cooler temps and cold tires I have trouble from a fast start NOT spinning the wheels.

It has been said many times here, but V8 auto drivers interested in performance will benefit greatly from a custom or performance canned tune. With an auto it's not a muscle car without that tune.
Old 8/8/06, 06:43 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by cmm101
When I take it in what do i say, don't I need a specific reason.
For what its worth. I have owned two 05 GTs. The first was a manual and it ran like a bat. The other one. an auto did not. There was a huge difference in the cars. I asked the dealer to check it out and was just blown off. The so called SVT Tech said it was performing normally and refused to hook it up to their equipment. No one outside of a dealer shop could check it. The car just felt like the timing was retarded.
I purchased a Predator and started changing perimeters and data logging which took loads of time as I was unsure of what I was doing as I know nothing about computers. This too was taking weeks as my test area is miles away but I was started making real progress then I read here on these forums about a guy named Lidio that was working wonders with an auto. I purchased and installed his tune and it was a world of difference. The tune worked around the original problem with the motor. The car will easily outrun the stick shift I gave to my son.
Don, Tony are correct as this motor does not like heat. My best 1/4 mile run was with a cold motor. I did not know the right questions to ask here on the forums but I am a great reader and fast learner so I read every scrap on information I could find. Still do not know what original problem was but the tune went around and I am now please with performance. You will be also once you make the decision.

Quick Reply: Auto GT owners come in!!!