GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Attention LFP TB Owners

Search this Thread

Old 10/20/05, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would first like to say hello to all and i am happy to have finally joined your site: i have the C&L CAI with a predator tune (finally got the 06 update today) prior to finding out that the 05 and 06 tunes were different i installed the CAI with the next step being the tune ( as you know by now it did not work out as planned)..... to make a long story short i had a check engine light because of the imprpoer A/F mixture..so i decided to leave well enough alone (leave CAI in place) and wait for the update. in the mean time i received the LFP TB and decide to install it while i wait on the update. after the install (and before the update of the predator) i notice that the engine surges from about 750rpm up past 1K. So i assume that it is because of the improper tune that i am gettting this surge...fast forward to today, install the update, check engine light goes off....and i still have a surge. not every once in a while, but a constant surge...so my question is this: am i just over reacting or is this surge normal...i took the TB off checked the gasket, proper fit, etc. but there is still a surge, alomost like the TPS sensor is haveing a hard time determining the correct position...i pulled my wife's 05 up next to mine and compared them and from what i can tell i did not mess anything up... PLEASE HELP ME. Thanks in advance.
Old 10/21/05, 06:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Check to make sure the spring is installed correct. Follow the instructions in the box and use the tool provided. There was another thread that the owner was getting Failsafe and the spring was not set right.
Old 10/21/05, 03:07 PM

i reinstalled the stock TB and BAM! no surging...put the LFP back on and surging comes back (but not as bad this time) i think the problem may have been the gasket around the throttle motor housing may not have been seated correctly. by removing it and putting it back on cured the surg to some extent....unless i am being to picky...i expect to car to idle with no surge just like it does with the stock TB...am i asking to much?
Old 10/21/05, 03:23 PM
Bullitt Member

You may want to edit your sig - you spelled your hometown wrong.

Sorry I couldn't help with your question.
Old 10/21/05, 03:28 PM

will do..thanks
Old 10/21/05, 05:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have had no issues with mine.
No surge, unless I put my foot to it.
Old 10/21/05, 06:28 PM

i have to take back what i said earlier..the surge is still there...i will make a video and post it in the morning....it is falling to about 750 then up to 1k and even higher sometimes...i am starting to think that 05's and 06's really ARE different...my wife has an 05 so i assumed everything was the same....so far i have found out that the cpu programs aren't..next i guess i will see that the TB aren't either...to bad i am learning the hard (expensive) way...maybe if i had a bit more patience i could actually WAIT until products i buy SAY 06 instead of assuming that what is good for the 05 is also good for the 06
Old 10/22/05, 12:13 AM
V6 Member

I put mine on Thursday and had a lot of problems with cels and going into failsafe. Ended up taking it off and on about five times figuring that I must have done something wrong. I put the stock TB back in and it ran fine. So tonite I tried it again, this time, looking at the gears I noticed brass shavings laying around. I think the positioning motor gear was not meshing very well with the brass gear and wore it down a little.
The whole gearing seems to have broken in somewhat and is not as tight as it was. So aleast tonite I was able to drive for awhile and got no cel or failsafe mode. The accelerator doesn't feel as responsive as it should but I think it will get better with some use.
Maybe yours just needs to get broken in if it is tight and the TPS is searching.
Old 10/22/05, 01:05 AM
Cobra R Member

I would be very concerned if I found brass shaving in there. I would first reread the instructions several times then look at the install. I have in my haste to get things going not read the instructions fully. rise and fall of RPM could be spring not set correctly or throttle sensor not correct. just my two cents
Old 10/22/05, 07:54 AM

i did notice that on the gears that mesh with the throttle motor on the stock TB there are only two teeth exposed, on the LFP there are 3 teeth exposed. that might be a problem as well...it is early so i will post pics and a video of my findings later in the day.
Old 10/22/05, 09:03 AM
Bullitt Member

How far did you turn the spring to engage it?

hags1
Old 10/22/05, 02:58 PM

here is a video i shot of the idle problem, it even does it when the cruise is set going down the road....Putfile
Old 10/22/05, 04:42 PM

I had somewhat similar issues and engine would only start in fail safe mode. Seems to have been spring tension. After rewinding spring and adjusting to 5/8 turn wound in a clockwise direction as facing the TB motor I believe, problems have cleared up and have had no codes since. Am very satisfied thusfar. It's was simple to fix this with the TB installed BTW as access to the spring cover, etc. is excellent even with the TB mounted.
Old 10/22/05, 09:03 PM
Cobra R Member

I just had a brainstorm and think your car is searching. Remove the air cleaner from the TB, start the car and look at the throttle plates. Are the moving or not? If you are unable to see movement put your finger on the plate to see if its moving.I assume you did check the throttle position sensor.
Engines with governors do this when fuel air is not correct.
Cause could be leaking gasket. Is the spring popping the plates closed or do you need more tension? With the brass shaving in the gear housing leads me to believe its the install. I am computer illiterate and I have consistently done the same thing wrong numerous times with my dell and it is frustrating not knowing what I am doing wrong. Many times I have been very close to throwing the whole thing out the window.
Old 10/22/05, 10:16 PM

i am not the one with the shavings, that was another post (bluecar)...but i will try looking at the TB with the cover off...thanks
Old 10/23/05, 11:07 AM
Bullitt Member

The correct way to wind the spring is counter clockwise when looking at the T/B motor....Don't wind the spring clockwise...

There should be enough tension on the spring so when you push the blades open, they come back to the closed position. I set or engaged mine at a 5/8 counter clockwise turn and it was good to go. DO NOT turn it past a full turn. Too much tension on the spring and it may break when your driving the car. If you look at the plastic piece on top of the spring you'll notice the spring can engage every 180 degree turn. Mine would engage at a 1/8 turn, which was not enough spring tension, and then it engages again at a 5/8 turn, which is just right. My next engage point would be a 1 1/8 turn of the spring, which would be too much tension.

The instructions don't tell you how far to turn it, or how far not to turn it. I ran my car with the 1/8 turn on the spring for over a month and a half, then I switched CAI's and ran into "Failsafe Engine Mode'. Once I set the tension were it should be, 5/8 turn, the failsafe problem went away. This is all relative to my particular spring and LFP throttle body. Yours may engage at a different interval, say 1/4 turn and then 3/4 turn, but basically you don't want to go anywhere above one full turn and you don't want the spring set so low that there isn't enough tension to pull the blades back to closed if you open them with your fingers.

hags1
Old 10/23/05, 03:13 PM
V6 Member

UPDATE:
I misspoke when I said shavings, it should have been grit.

Anyway I had more problems with cels and failsafes. Figured I would try something differernt. Put my stock airbox with K&N filter back on and loaded the Predator Performance tune and no cels and it runs good. Apparently the TB doesn't like the JLT w/DTP canned tune on my stang. I left the cai off and will have to get her to a tuner before I put it back on. I guess everyones is different?
Old 10/23/05, 07:11 PM

i am not gettting any codes....when i put the stock TB back on all was well...made sure the spring was adjusted the same way both times (3 actually because i took apart my wifes spring assembly too)
Old 10/23/05, 07:14 PM

i have come to the conclusion that i either have a bad TB or the 06 and 05 have different CPU settings for the MAF sensor as well...is there a way i can go into the MAF settings on my predator and mess with it until everything lines up? just a thought
Old 10/24/05, 07:52 PM
GT Member

I have an 06, but not put on yet.... was a Xmas gift, cannot get it until then. Does anyone else with an 06 have this? Have you called LFP and asked about these problems?

Quick Reply: Attention LFP TB Owners