GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Anyone using XCal Strategy Flash?

Search this Thread

Old 8/8/06, 10:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone using XCal Strategy Flash?

Just wondering if anyone has used the canned tunes that come with the Strategy Flash device. I'm looking to reduce throttle lag and torque from a dead stop. I know about Bama and Brenspeed and am considering those guys, but I can get a used Strategy Flash at a signficant discount, so I'm curious if it would help these issues as much as a custom tune. Anyone using this thing?
Old 8/8/06, 11:29 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

i do not advise using it...i do not think Bamachips or Brenspeed deals with these because they are so general and i do not think they can tune them
Old 8/8/06, 12:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by RedDragon777
i do not advise using it...i do not think Bamachips or Brenspeed deals with these because they are so general and i do not think they can tune them
My understanding was that most custom tuners start with the canned tunes that come with the SCT anyway. Also, if I don't like them, the unit can be converted easily by software update to a custom XCal2 for use with custom tune files. So if I don't like the canned tunes, no biggie, I just upgrade no charge.

So anyone using the Strategy Flash?
Old 8/8/06, 02:29 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,985 Likes on 1,609 Posts
Originally Posted by Rash
Just wondering if anyone has used the canned tunes that come with the Strategy Flash device. I'm looking to reduce throttle lag and torque from a dead stop. I know about Bama and Brenspeed and am considering those guys, but I can get a used Strategy Flash at a signficant discount, so I'm curious if it would help these issues as much as a custom tune. Anyone using this thing?
Yes, I do have one..And it does get rid of throttle lag, and increases torque..Personally, I like my SF tuner, even with SCT's canned tunes..However, if you wish to convert your SF into a custom tuner..You can convert it, into a standard 9400 X-cal II..But beware, once you convert it..You cannot convert back, to a SF-9415 again..It's only a one way street, so to speak..As for the SF helping these issues, as much as a custom tune ?? well of course not..Nothing can take the place, of having your vehicle custom tuned on a dyno.. However, in an indirect way.. Even, if you have Bamachips and Brenspeed, e-mail you their custom tunes..Their still considered, as canned tunes anyhow..The only real custom tune, is to have your vehicle tuned, on a dyno..Anyway, I hope this helps..And, good luck to you...
Old 8/8/06, 02:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Yes, I do have one..And it does get rid of throttle lag, and increases torque..Personally, I like my SF tuner, even with SCT's canned tunes..However, if you wish to convert your SF into a custom tuner..You can convert it, into a standard 9400 X-cal II..But beware, once you convert it..You cannot convert back, to a SF-9415 again..It's only a one way street, so to speak..As for the SF,helping these issues, as much as a custom tune ?? well of course not..Nothing beats having your vehicle, custom tuned on a dyno.. However, in a indirect way, even if you have Bamachips and Brenspeed, e-mail you their custom tunes..Their still considered, as canned tunes anyway..The only real custom tune, is to have your vehicle tuned, on a dyno..Anyway, I hope this helps..and Good Luck, to you...
Thanks for posting your experience with the SF. Glad to hear that it helps lag and torque, which is mainly what I'm after. It's my daily driver, and I'm not gonna race it, so not too concerned about drastic increases in HP.

Which octane tunes have you tried? Does the 87 make a noticeable difference over stock, or do you have to go with 93 for that? Also, I noticed it has an economy tune - any idea what that is? Is it supposed to increase MPG at the expense of performance?
Old 8/8/06, 08:21 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,985 Likes on 1,609 Posts
Originally Posted by Rash
Thanks for posting your experience with the SF. Glad to hear that it helps lag and torque, which is mainly what I'm after. It's my daily driver, and I'm not gonna race it, so not too concerned about drastic increases in HP.

Which octane tunes have you tried? Does the 87 make a noticeable difference over stock, or do you have to go with 93 for that? Also, I noticed it has an economy tune - any idea what that is? Is it supposed to increase MPG at the expense of performance?
I've only tried the 93 octane tune, so I really can't comment about the 87 octane tune..But I can say this, the 93 octane tune, does provide more of an aggressive tune, than the 87..Plus it also provides, around 5 more HP. than 87 IMHO..As for the economy tune ?? I haven't really tried it, yet either..Personally, I don't think it would provide much of an advantage, anyhow..You may see an additional 1 MPG. more, but that's about it..So, I don't think it's really worth it, to be honest with you..Although, like you.. My 05, is also a daily driver and I also, do not race it..My main goal, was to eliminate as much airflow restriction, as possible, while at the same time..Try to get as close to 300 rear wheel HP. as possible, with just adding simple bolt on's..Which is more than good enough, for me..Anyway, I hope this addresses your concerns..