GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Anybody try the Flowtech Terminator Axleback set yet?

Search this Thread

Old 2/11/06, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am tempted by the price ($190!), and the 3" inner-pass tubes. Should be aggressive, and flow well, but I would love to hear from anybody who has installed them.

Any other decent $200 axlebacks out there? Or should I just stretch for the MACs or the FRPP stingers?
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]
Old 2/12/06, 11:01 AM
Team Mustang Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(smedin @ February 12, 2006, 12:15 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I am tempted by the price ($190!), and the 3" inner-pass tubes. Should be aggressive, and flow well, but I would love to hear from anybody who has installed them.

Any other decent $200 axlebacks out there? Or should I just stretch for the MACs or the FRPP stingers?
[/b][/quote]

$245 for Flowmasters
Old 2/12/06, 01:44 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MaverickMLFD371 @ February 12, 2006, 1:04 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
$245 for Flowmasters
[/b][/quote]

I've heard mixed reviews at best on the Flowmasters...
Old 2/12/06, 01:55 PM
Cobra Member

Flows are good, but that is my opinion.
Old 2/12/06, 02:30 PM
Team Mustang Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(smedin @ February 12, 2006, 3:47 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I've heard mixed reviews at best on the Flowmasters...
[/b][/quote]

Tell me what you've heard and I'll tell you if its true or not...
Old 2/12/06, 04:15 PM
Team Mustang Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(smedin @ February 11, 2006, 9:15 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]Looks like they were released back in October. Someone must have tried them by now...

Would be nice to hear them on a S197 Mustang!

FlowTech Terminator 05 Mustang Press Release Ad
http://www.holley.com/products.asp?product=50253FLT
[attachmentid=45061] [attachmentid=45062]

FlowTech Sound Clip 50122 on a ???

The Afterburner mufflers sound good also: http://www.holley.com/data/Products/Media/...ner%20Sound.wma

I wonder what they're hooked up to in those sound clips!!
Old 2/12/06, 05:50 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MaverickMLFD371 @ February 12, 2006, 3:33 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Tell me what you've heard and I'll tell you if its true or not...
[/b][/quote]
I've heard things like: Not deep enough, not loud enough, not aggressive eonough, that there are some drone issues. The sound clips I've seen don't tell me enough, either.

I have heard many clips of MACs and Borlas, enough to convince me that those mufflers are really good.

Maybe the problem is that the Flowmasters were the first, and the most popular over the years, and everyone likes to bash the top dog, who knows?

Concerning those 2 soundclips, the terminators sound better than the afterburners, IMHO. They sound really good. Of course, it sounded like a pretty baddass car, as well.
Old 2/12/06, 11:26 PM
Team Mustang Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(smedin @ February 12, 2006, 4:53 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Of course, it sounded like a pretty baddass car, as well.
[/b][/quote]It sure did. I wouldn't mind seeing it!
Old 2/13/06, 05:55 AM
Team Mustang Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(smedin @ February 12, 2006, 7:53 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I've heard things like: Not deep enough, not loud enough, not aggressive eonough, that there are some drone issues. The sound clips I've seen don't tell me enough, either.

I have heard many clips of MACs and Borlas, enough to convince me that those mufflers are really good.

Maybe the problem is that the Flowmasters were the first, and the most popular over the years, and everyone likes to bash the top dog, who knows?

Concerning those 2 soundclips, the terminators sound better than the afterburners, IMHO. They sound really good. Of course, it sounded like a pretty baddass car, as well.
[/b][/quote]

Well just to give you an insite on the Flowmasters, I'm very very pleased and so is my family with the sound. They are loud, I will tell you that, and after the installation of a CAI and Tuner, made the Flowmasters even louder. But also remember, as the exhaust breaks in, they will eventually get louder too. My neighbors always know when I'm coming home home because of the flowmasters are loud, and of course my one neighbor gets pissed at me and occassionally gets a lil 9-1-1 happy and calls the police on me. I've set off a few car alarms with the flowmasters in mall parking lots reving it as I passed. A TMS member on here occassionally when I'm driving to his house can hear me from blocks away. There is minimal drone on the Flowmasters. But all aftermarket exhausts are going to come with drone, thats a given fact based upon everyone's review on every exhaust. The sound of the flowmasters gives it that muscle car sound and everyone who comes up to my car loves the sound of it. Not saying that everyone is bashing on Flowmasters, its a given fact that if just ONE person bashes on a product, automatically, no one will buy it. So if you've heard on bad thing about Flowmasters, why believe them automatically? Get second opinions. But here is a good review on the Flowmasters coming from a Flowmaster owner and I'm sure some other Flowmaster owners will chime in on here as well.

My thing is, your not really going to know the true sound of an exhaust unless you hear it in person. Soundclips can be deceiving.
Old 2/13/06, 06:09 AM
RPM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Redfire 05Gt @ February 12, 2006, 5:18 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

The Afterburner mufflers sound good also: http://www.holley.com/data/Products/Media/...ner%20Sound.wma

I wonder what they're hooked up to in those sound clips!!
[/b][/quote]

That was a Pontiac 455 with headers and RAIV cam. I have the CD that exhaust clip came from. Our 24v Mustangs will never make sounds like the Pontiac so don't use that clip to get any idea of how they will sound on our cars.
Old 2/13/06, 07:42 AM
Team Mustang Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MaverickMLFD371 @ February 13, 2006, 4:58 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
But all aftermarket exhausts are going to come with drone, thats a given fact based upon everyone's review on every exhaust.[/b][/quote]
There's no drone from my Stainless Works system. And I've set off car alarms as well.
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RPM @ February 13, 2006, 5:12 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
That was a Pontiac 455 with headers and RAIV cam. I have the CD that exhaust clip came from. Our 24v Mustangs will never make sounds like the Pontiac so don't use that clip to get any idea of how they will sound on our cars.
[/b][/quote]Thanks for the info. I knew it had to be something beefy...and cammed. I know our aluminum 281's will never sound like a 455...but we can try!
Old 2/13/06, 08:55 AM
Team Mustang Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Redfire 05Gt @ February 13, 2006, 8:45 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
know our aluminum 281's will never sound like a 455...but we can try!
[/b][/quote]

hey hey hey! Leave the rice for the riceboys!

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/lol.gif[/img]
Old 2/13/06, 09:36 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MaverickMLFD371 @ February 13, 2006, 6:58 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
There is minimal drone on the Flowmasters. But all aftermarket exhausts are going to come with drone, thats a given fact based upon everyone's review on every exhaust. The sound of the flowmasters gives it that muscle car sound and everyone who comes up to my car loves the sound of it.
My thing is, your not really going to know the true sound of an exhaust unless you hear it in person. Soundclips can be deceiving.
[/b][/quote]

Thanks for all the info. What I want to know mostly is this: Do the Flowmasters provide a DEEP idle like MACs or Borlas? If so, I'd be more likely to give them a try.
Old 2/13/06, 09:40 AM
Team Mustang Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(smedin @ February 13, 2006, 11:39 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Thanks for all the info. What I want to know mostly is this: Do the Flowmasters provide a DEEP idle like MACs or Borlas? If so, I'd be more likely to give them a try.
[/b][/quote]

Yes it does have a deep idle, it sounds awesome! and occasionally when its first started, it has that gurple or burple or whatever the term that everyone uses, but it awesome!
Old 2/13/06, 09:51 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(smedin @ February 13, 2006, 11:39 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]

I second the flowmasters. An excellent sound. Very deep sound at idle and sweet sounding under acceleration. I had loud mouths for a little while but they were just too loud and the drone was annoying with the windows rolled up.

I've been looking at the flowtech headers mostly becuase of the price. They say 16-gauge mild steel and someone in the past made a comment that they won't hold up. But, the hookers are 16-gauge mild steel as well. So, why the big price gap?

One thing I've learned about aftermarket car parts is just becuase they are less expensive doesn't mean they're not as good or low quality.

My little rant is due to the fact that many manufacturers are sticking it in and breaking it off becuase we own a popular car...... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/nonono.gif[/img]
Old 2/13/06, 10:12 AM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
THIRD on the Flows..... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

(although I will say this - after adding a Bassani Xpipe with comp cats, it completely changed the sound - the deep Flowmaster/5.0 Mustang sound has been replaced with a higher picted raspier tone.... that truthfully I am not sure I am 100% happy with..... trying to figure out my next move... the Flows by themselves ROCK though.)
Old 2/13/06, 01:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Burke0011 @ February 13, 2006, 9:15 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
after adding a Bassani Xpipe with comp cats, it completely changed the sound - the deep Flowmaster/5.0 Mustang sound has been replaced with a higher picted raspier tone.... [/b][/quote]

Is it the dreaded trumpeting??
Old 2/13/06, 04:35 PM
Cobra R Member

Go with the frpp/borla axlebacks and be done with it. Sound is awesome. Nice and deep. I didnt like the sound with an bassani xpipe and comp cats, made it higher pitched loudness. Was looking for the older deep tone.
Old 2/13/06, 04:58 PM
Bullitt Member

4th on the flows, i have had mine since they came out and all that i can say is that the sound great.
Old 2/13/06, 05:45 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got the Borla Stingers on my car, and I LOVE THEM!!! Very deep sound at start up and idle, and a great muscle car sound when you get on it. Some drone, but as stated above, all aftermarket setups will have some. They cost more than Flows, but IMO well worth the upgrade in $$$. I'm sure there are others on here that will second me. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Anybody try the Flowtech Terminator Axleback set yet?