GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

anybody have the C&L racer air intake?

Search this Thread

Old 6/14/06, 08:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anybody have the C&L racer air intake?

The all plastic one.I know its a race system,but would it work well on a basically stock GT with just a axleback?Give me an opinion on how you like yours.
Old 6/14/06, 10:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

I have it and love it. I bought the black plastic version simply for looks. I thought the black inlet pipe would look better under the hood and it does, to me. I also installed a pair of Flowmasters, they too are terrific. There isn't enough cash on hand to do all that I want right now. Even so, I'm quite happy with those two items.

Cheers,
Jon
Old 6/15/06, 12:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have it as well. The 95mm tube is massive compared to the K&N I had before. I like the fact it can be used for supercharged systems as well because I might be looking at a blower down the road.
Old 6/15/06, 04:44 AM
GT Member

any negative effects on these basically modified cars?
Old 6/15/06, 06:35 AM
Cobra R Member

well where did you get the racer intake, and what programming are you using. How much did you pay? Thanks for any info.
Old 6/15/06, 09:58 AM
Bullitt Member

I basically want it for heat issues.its very hot here in FL. in the summer and I don't want a metal intake.Anyone using a bamachips tune?
Old 6/15/06, 04:43 PM

A quick question for those that have the intake, how thick is the plastic tubing? I really like the aspect of the plastic staying cooler. I'm just wondering how this intake will hold up five years down the road. Is warping or cracking a concern? I only want to buy a CAI once.
Old 6/15/06, 04:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have had mine for about two weeks now. I paid $565 from partshopper.com I bought the intake and tuner combo. (Check my website for video and pictues.)

I absolutely love it. It sounds amazing (under hard acceleration the car is almost twice as loud inside), the engine has much better throttle response and less throttle hang, and the car pulls hard up to 4000 rpm, then pulls even harder up to redline. Spinning the tires anytime in first gear is no problem, and I've spun them in second when I've never been able too before. Like the car wasn't fast enough before!

I bought the "race" version because I hated the look of the aluminum one, and I didn't like the idea of spending more money for what seems to me to be a big, heavy heat sink.
Old 6/15/06, 05:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh gawd.... I hope we don't get into that ridiculous "metal vs plastic" debate again. We already put that one to bed months ago. There is no tangible difference in the two with respect to intake air temps.
Old 6/15/06, 07:22 PM
GT Member

I just got one last weekend from JDM and I can't believe the difference. The only other performance mod I have is a Flowmaster exhaust. Right now I'm using their Street+R tune it pulls hard to redline the whole way.

I purchased this one over the orginal C&L since this intake works with the Saleen SC.
Old 6/16/06, 12:28 AM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,979 Likes on 1,603 Posts
Originally Posted by don_w
Oh gawd.... I hope we don't get into that ridiculous "metal vs plastic" debate again. We already put that one to bed months ago. There is no tangible difference in the two with respect to intake air temps.
You sure got that right, brother hahaha.. No only, did we put it to bed on here..but also on a different forum, concerning a certain person using these forums, to market their products..
Old 6/16/06, 08:03 AM
Bullitt Member

looking for some info on the care and cleaning of the air filter for the Steeda CAI. I searched the forum for a thread on that subject but came up empty - may be there but I couldn't find it. Thanks.
Old 6/17/06, 10:01 AM
Cobra R Member

I think most air filters like this use the oil , so they sell a cleaning kit or called a recharge kit for them. I know K&N etc sell them. Call and I'm sure they can help you out. good luck
Old 6/17/06, 04:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Im sure you have your beliefs,but I have mine also.Please don't start a debate in this forum,it is simply to talk about the C&L racer intake.I posted MY reason why I'm interested in it.peace out.
Old 6/17/06, 05:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ZRX4ME
Im sure you have your beliefs,but I have mine also.Please don't start a debate in this forum,it is simply to talk about the C&L racer intake.I posted MY reason why I'm interested in it.peace out.
Read post #6 and see who started it...

And it's not about beliefs... it is about basic physics and heat transfer properties. It's very basic science to someone with a degree in chemical engineering.

peace out.
Old 6/17/06, 10:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

I missed that thread. That was probably back when I wasn't on here very much. I did a search, but can't find the topic. Do you have a link, I'm interested in what it was all about. I havn't logged my intake temps yet, I should have today . . . 92 degrees.
Old 6/18/06, 05:09 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Forums are for debates, and I love finding out what works and what doesn't before I buy something. Seems the C&L Race is a good product, and I figure if nothing else it's less weight than the regular metal C&L.

For the money, I think the JLT is the best Bang for the Buck.
Old 6/18/06, 01:26 PM

SO....I'm still wondering how this intake will hold up in the long run compaired to C&L's metal intake. Heat sink or no heat sink, I DON'T CARE. The racer intake is still way cheaper than the metal piece also offered by C&L! Any help or comments on this?
Old 6/19/06, 06:54 AM
Bullitt Member

I have had mine for about 6 months and the thing has had zero problems and I love it. Prob one of my favorite mods to date.
Old 6/19/06, 08:44 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Sonic05
I missed that thread. That was probably back when I wasn't on here very much. I did a search, but can't find the topic. Do you have a link, I'm interested in what it was all about. I havn't logged my intake temps yet, I should have today . . . 92 degrees.
It all started back when you couldn't find a post without JLT telling you how superior they were to C&L, which was kind of funny because right after that was when people started crying about their JLT intake tubes warping from heat and popping off. It has been discussed to death on several boards including this one.

Quick Reply: anybody have the C&L racer air intake?