GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Any simple upgrades recomended?

Search this Thread

Old 4/16/05, 02:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't want to spend much money or void my warrenty... are there any simple upgrades I can do to get a better performing car? Does the K&N filter recently released help at all? What about a nice set of spark plugs/wires?

Does a simple 89 octane tune - no physical upgrades - void the warrenty? I know there is a few hp hidden in the car just by changing a few things. I don't want to buy the whole tuner thing, can I go to a garage and have them load it for me or something?
Old 4/16/05, 03:09 PM
Banned

First of all, there are no spark plug wires....the coil is mounted on the plug.
A K&N might help, but you won't notice it.
First of all, you will need to remove the hydro-carbon trap....that's the easiest free mod.
Do a search on this forum, if you're not certain of what the hydro-carbon trap is.
As for the 89 octane tune....I'm pretty sure, you'll have to spend the money and buy a tuner.
Old 4/16/05, 06:12 PM
Bullitt Member

I didn't catch that there weren't any wires, but what about "platinum plugs." Gimmick or does it actually help?

And I have read up on the HC trap, but the consesus was that a tune was needed with it. And that really gets back to my tuning at a shop question...
Old 4/16/05, 07:09 PM
Banned

platinum plugs=gimmick, will last longer, but will not give you any more performance
Old 4/16/05, 08:49 PM
FR500 Member

You may need a tune to get the full effect of removing the HC trap, but removing it (as well as replacing the stock air filter with a high-flow K&N one will not require a tune, and will increase air flow. Doing both of those things will not void your warranty and might get you enough HP to feel a small difference.
Old 4/16/05, 10:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Gitcha one of these . . . . . .
Old 4/17/05, 12:31 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by The Lyin' King@April 17, 2005, 12:17 AM

Please, stop posting that picture. Everyone has seen it now.
Old 4/17/05, 09:06 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The car comes with platinum plugs from the factory. Copper plugs may give you a hotter spark, but will not last as long.
Old 4/17/05, 10:32 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by oatmeal@April 16, 2005, 2:59 PM
I don't want to spend much money or void my warrenty... are there any simple upgrades I can do to get a better performing car? Does the K&N filter recently released help at all? What about a nice set of spark plugs/wires?

Does a simple 89 octane tune - no physical upgrades - void the warrenty? I know there is a few hp hidden in the car just by changing a few things. I don't want to buy the whole tuner thing, can I go to a garage and have them load it for me or something?
Steven the consensus with the '05 Stang is that you really do need to reflash the ECU if you are going to want to add serious hp. About the only things you could do w/o the reflash are going to be a set of underdrive pullies - which will only net you a few hp - but increases engine drive-a-bility (seems to rev quicker), and the removal of the hc trap and K&N filter......any further reduction in restriction to the intake or exhaust is going to make you reflash the ECU or the a/f mixture is going to be way off......AFIK, since the reflash units (SCT Exclaibrator & Diablo Predator) are VIN locked - you need to purchase one specifically for your car.....I have the SCT Excalibrator with the JLT CAI and DPG tune - and like my set up - although - IMO, based on members comments here the Diablo unit seems to be more user friendly and easily adjustable.

Good luck
Old 4/18/05, 12:40 AM

So this is what I tried one two different cars:

'05 GT Vert 5-speed - installed K&N panel replacement high flow filter and FlowMaster S40 with no issues and seems "snappier". But once I removed the HC trap the engine light comes on. Tried to reset it by disconnecting the batt. for 30 minutes but it came on again within 25 miles.

'05 GT Coupe Automatic - installed MAC cold air intake with same Flowmaster S40s as on the Vert with no problems and found considerable increase in punch. Engine light came on in about 40 miles. Tried the battery thing as above but got the same light about 17 miles later. Since it was on anyway with no degredation in drivability the HC trap was then removed.

I conclude that the mass flow sensor is sending data that causes the computer to send this message in that the cold air intake on one car and the lack of blockage from the absence of the HC trap on the other blow more air than the sensor is calibrated for. Is there an after market sensor for replacement or can the computer be set to accept higher parameters?
Old 4/18/05, 05:33 AM
Team Mustang Source

From everything I have read on this forum,the consensus appears to be that doing anything that will signficantly show a difference in performance will require a retune and the expenses that go along with that. Regarding warranty issues, I think (?) from what I have read that reflashing the computer can be detected by the dealer and they could play hardball. IMO even if the law states that the mod had to have caused the warranty issue, if you reprogram, if its engine related, you may be in trouble IF your dealer is not cooperative.
Old 4/18/05, 01:18 PM

Originally posted by BackwardHatClub+April 17, 2005, 12:34 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BackwardHatClub @ April 17, 2005, 12:34 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-The Lyin' King@April 17, 2005, 12:17 AM

Please, stop posting that picture. Everyone has seen it now.
[/b][/quote]

I haven't. Pretty funny!
Old 4/18/05, 09:44 PM
GT Member

Pretty much agree with the above posts -

My personal experience (on '05 auto coupe): remove HCT, put in drop-in K&N filter. No problems thus far (600 miles). My next mod will be exhaust - either offroad mid-pipe (and tune) or mufflers. I have a feeling the Check Engine light is coming on for others because it senses either too much airflow or a lean condition in the engine.

The problem with a tuner is this: if you have a problem with the engine / drivetrain that requires warranty work, and your dealer wants to play hardball, he can void your warranty if you use a tuner. The use of a tuner is supposedly detectible by the service departments due to these new (in '05) high-tech computers, even if you flash it back to stock tune.
Old 4/18/05, 10:13 PM

All I can say is...don't do anything that you can't afford to void your warranty. If your warranty concerns you that much, you probably shouldn't be doing it. Tuning will void it if the damage is linked to the tune. If you remove the HC trap and something happens...if they research it and something is related to the HC trap being removed, voided. The chances of this happening are slim, I'm just thinking the worse case scenario.