GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Anti-Squat Brackets (aka LCA Relocation Brackets)

Search this Thread

Old 6/26/07, 10:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Anti-Squat Brackets (aka LCA Relocation Brackets)

I am looking at getting a set of anti-squat brackets (aka LCA relocation brackets). The two I am considering right now are CHE (http://www.cheperformance.com/CartGe...pid=209&cid=15) or BMR (http://bmrfabrication.com/2005MustangDRIVELINE.htm)... however I am open to other suggestions.

I'm looking for feedback from those of you who have installed these, with respect to quality, fit and finish, installation, durability, performance, etc. Any and all comments will be appreciated. TIA...

Old 6/26/07, 01:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by don_w
I am looking at getting a set of anti-squat brackets (aka LCA relocation brackets). The two I am considering right now are CHE (http://www.cheperformance.com/CartGe...pid=209&cid=15) or BMR (http://bmrfabrication.com/2005MustangDRIVELINE.htm)... however I am open to other suggestions.

I'm looking for feedback from those of you who have installed these, with respect to quality, fit and finish, installation, durability, performance, etc. Any and all comments will be appreciated. TIA...

Hey Don...I've had the BMR brackets on for a year now, bolted not welded. Along with the combination of their LCAs and Adj upper, my car is rock solid. I only have an unprepped track to race at, but I'm cutting consistant 1.7 60' on ET Streets and I know I can lower that time with more practice. With the power your putting down BMR recommends for them to be welded on.

However, I only got them because I lowered the car about 1". Are you thinking about lowering yours or did you already? I would think you'd want to stay at stock height to get as much squat as possible as much as you and the wife are at the track.
Old 6/26/07, 01:24 PM
GT Member

I installed the bmr and they are great quality.
Old 6/26/07, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by scramblr
Hey Don...I've had the BMR brackets on for a year now, bolted not welded. Along with the combination of their LCAs and Adj upper, my car is rock solid. I only have an unprepped track to race at, but I'm cutting consistant 1.7 60' on ET Streets and I know I can lower that time with more practice. With the power your putting down BMR recommends for them to be welded on.

However, I only got them because I lowered the car about 1". Are you thinking about lowering yours or did you already? I would think you'd want to stay at stock height to get as much squat as possible as much as you and the wife are at the track.
No, I'm not lowering the car. I'm trying to eliminate as much squat as I can.

With the addition of the roll bar, the car seems to be launching more level (i.e., less body/chassis roll to the right rear). For comparison, take a look at this video from a few months ago: Video - Barona, 1-13-07. See how the car rolls to the right and bounces all over the place? And here is one from last Friday night... much less roll and bounce: Video - Qualcomm, 6-22-07.

So, it's definitely not rolling as much, but I'm still getting excessive squat (you can also see it in this video from last week at Irwindale). Too much squat on the launch robs power from the wheels... it is wasted energy moving the body around (not to mention, the fenderwell hits the side of the slick). You want the car to transfer weight to the rear (i.e. lift the front), but once weight transfer occurs, ideally the rear should plant the tires without too much squat (picture a Pro Stock car). One way to do this is to change the instant center (IC) of the suspension geometry. The instant center is the point at which a line extended from the UCA and LCAs would intersect. Moving the IC rearward will generally reduce squat. Adding the LCA relo brackets will drop the back of the LCAs and change the intersect point, moving it back towards the rear.
Old 6/26/07, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by SilverPOISON
I installed the bmr and they are great quality.
Thanks Eduardo... I have a ton of BMR stuff on the car already, and I've been pretty happy with their products so far.

One thing I do like about the BMR relo brackets is that they have two position settings, whereas the CHE only has one. That should give me some additional adjustability for dialing in the suspension.

BMR

CHE

Old 6/26/07, 02:22 PM

I have the BMR's as well. I had to beat on em a little to make the driver's side slide into place but other than that no issues.
Old 6/28/07, 01:26 PM

BTW... I decided to go with the Steeda brackets because of the extra adjustment hole compared to the BMR. Having three positions will allow me to fine tune it and see what works best.

I expect to start on the top hole and make some runs at the track. We'll take some video from directly behind the car, so we can compare how it reacts to what it's doing now. If it still squats on the top hole, then I'll move it down to the middle hole. Over time, I'll test all three locations, and whichever one results in the flattest, quickest launch will be where it stays.

Hell... there is even a possibility that I may need to set it up differently for each of the two local tracks I run at. They have vastly different track conditions.

Old 6/28/07, 09:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Brackets

Originally Posted by don_w

DON...had both CHE and BMR...CHE fit better...they fit snug up against stock bracket better than the BMR ones...at least the ones i got..Finish on both are nice..very strong..i only have the basic mods...and traction was improved alot...
Old 6/28/07, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Fman67
DON...had both CHE and BMR...CHE fit better...they fit snug up against stock bracket better than the BMR ones...at least the ones i got..Finish on both are nice..very strong..i only have the basic mods...and traction was improved alot...
Thanks for the input.

As mentioned above, I ordered the Steeda's today.