GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Another nod for the Flowmasters

Search this Thread

Old 5/1/06, 01:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So after lurking and pondering and debating for months now, I finally decided to purchase my Flowmaster Axleback exhaust from Brenspeed.com. I'd done work on my previous car before (99 Mercury Cougar V6), but was still a bit skeptic as to if i could do this right. So I called a friend of mine who helped me do a few things to the Cougar and we got busy.

First things first, his jack went bad, he hadnt used it in ages and it drained of hydraulic fluid. So we ended up taking a trip to Autozone to buy a new one. Instead, I ended up purchasing a set of Rhino Ramps and let me tell you these things are WONDERFUL: they are light and stack together so easy to store. So we drove back to my place and got the stang up on the ramps, both slid under one side and took a look. The underside of the new stang is CLEAN as a whistle, everything is easy to reach and looks well in place unlike my Cougar. We got to taking the stock mufflers off and that only took about 15 mins total (minus the half an hour of us messing around and cracking jokes).

The flowmasters fit PERFECTLY in place, better than the stock ones, though we had to make another trip to Autozone to get a set of wrenches and extensions for the ratchet of the 13mm and 15mm size. Drove to the Autozone with my mufflers off and HOLY MOTHER OF V8s that thing sounded intimidatingly loud. Anyway, got the tools and headed back home and got the flows back on, clamped em and fired it up. Woooooooo, THIS is how a Mustang should sound. For the first couple days it sounded a bit muffled but a week and a half later, it sounds just right. The tips look beautiful under there and below are a couple pics (56k warning).

and another
Old 5/1/06, 01:42 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
they look like mine

but mine didn't fit so good
Old 5/1/06, 02:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

that second pic is pure sweetness right there.

and you think no mufflers is loud? hehe, try open headers.

anyway, the car looks kickass man, makes me wish I got black again. grrr.
Old 5/1/06, 02:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yes sir! I'm w/ you man!
Mine didn't fit just right at first, but a little adjustment at the mid-pipe, and all is good!!
Old 5/1/06, 02:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah I actually had to adjust because the left looked like it was hanging lower than the right. Well oddly, when I started it up in the morning, the right one would rattle for a minute before warming up and then it would be fine. So instead of raising the left one, i decided to check the right one... and sure enough it wasnt connected completely snug. I moved the clamp up so that it would hug the muffler pipe right at the exit, and tightened it as much as i could with my ratchet and took a look and VOILA, perfect.
Thanks for the compliments guys... I'm also a photographer so I went a little nuts on the photos, hehe.
Old 5/1/06, 04:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

what kind of camera did you use? that second pic is just so hot, I cant get over it. I have a Nikon D70 and I love it. not a real photographer, but I try to have fun once in a while.
Old 5/1/06, 05:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(emperorjordan @ May 1, 2006, 6:47 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
what kind of camera did you use? that second pic is just so hot, I cant get over it. I have a Nikon D70 and I love it. not a real photographer, but I try to have fun once in a while.
[/b][/quote]

Thanks. I use a Canon EOS 20D as my primary camera. I was using a Tamron 28-75 Xi DR lens for that second shot, ISO 100 shutter speed 1/60, aperture F/8. The D70 is a sweet camera, if the 20D wasnt coming out when I was looking to buy, I probably would've went with the D70. Thanks again for the compliment on the shot =). Here's another

Old 5/1/06, 06:30 PM
Cobra Member

They look really nice, but, they just arnt loud enough.
Old 5/1/06, 11:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

i agree with you, but for some, its perfect. its a matter of taste.
Old 5/2/06, 07:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(emperorjordan @ May 2, 2006, 1:21 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
i agree with you, but for some, its perfect. its a matter of taste.
[/b][/quote]

Yeah I wanted a sound that was more refined than the stock, a bit louder, but not too loud. In my complex, its in a nice and quiet neighborhood, and there is an RSX and a 350z that park on my row that, everytime I start my car, no matter where they are, their alarms will either chirp or go off.

I was looking at the Borlas but from reading here they were louder than the others I was looking at. I went with Flowmaster partially because of the look, secondly because I heard they only increased the stock volume a little in comparison to JBA, Bassani, and Borla... so I went with it... and Im extremely pleased.
Old 5/2/06, 10:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

That last shot hurts my eyes. LOL. How did you do that with the camera? Or is your GT just distorting space and time?