GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

another kooks install

Search this Thread

Old 11/3/06, 08:07 PM
gpp
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
another kooks install

i know its been discussed before but i just want to put my 2 cents worth in.do take the motor mounts off,do take the starter off,put it back on before you tightning the headers down.do jack the motor up at least 2 inches,do put the top oxygen sensor connector in before you let the motor down,and this is the right side and i will do the left tommorrow.buy a set of gearwrench wrenches from sears,they make putting the top header nuts on ALOT easier.get the metric and standard set.and beg,plead,what ever but try to do this on a lift.i would not want to do this under jack stands.been there too many times and am not going back.course being 55 has a lot to do with it also.to be continued.
Old 11/3/06, 09:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Keep it up; good luck on the rest of the install
Old 11/4/06, 07:25 PM
gpp
GT Member

well the driver side is a pain to get the bolts tightened and took about a hour.the 2nd and 4 stud have to come out,pull the steering rack off also.and the bolts are tight,real tight.you will need a pipe extension to break them loose.steering shaft was no problem nor was the dip stick tube.and when you take the motor mount plates off DONT pull them out from the motor.i did this on the passenger side and its going to be a pain to get back in with the headers on.gearwrenchs,lift and time and it all comes together.anyone doing this under jack stands deservers the medal of honor!to be continued.
Old 11/5/06, 04:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
what kind of hp gains are you expecting from your headers.
Old 11/5/06, 04:59 PM
GT Member

yeah I have the medal of honor then! I did mine on jack stands too and I am 48! I also did my K-Member at the same time too, I had a lot of pain for the next few days. I will say this though...It was VERY VERY easy putting my Kooks on with the K-Member off!

I wish you well!
Old 11/5/06, 07:21 PM
gpp
GT Member

well its done.no more real surprises except you need 2 sensor exstensions and 4 if you use the rear ones.course you can lentghen the stock ones but for what these headers cost you would think they would send them all.sounds a little louder than stock but dont drone any differant than without the headers.horsepower,low and mid range is great and top end is probably alot better but its hard for the butt meter to tell.i would say the 14 to 18 horsepower gains ive seen other people post is about what it did for me.but they sure sound better at wide open throttle! im going to ask doug if i need to retune the motor but no lights came on and no spark knock so im going to drive it.all in all its not a bad mod and its like every thing else,the next set would go on in half the time.
Old 11/5/06, 07:30 PM
gpp
GT Member

well its done.no more real surprises except you need 2 sensor exstensions and 4 if you use the rear ones.course you can lentghen the stock ones but for what these headers cost you would think they would send them all.sounds a little louder than stock but dont drone any differant than without the headers.horsepower,low and mid range is great and top end is probably alot better but its hard for the butt meter to tell.i would say the 14 to 18 horsepower gains ive seen other people post is about what it did for me.but they sure sound better at wide open throttle! im going to ask doug if i need to retune the motor but no lights came on and no spark knock so im going to drive it.all in all its not a bad mod and its like every thing else,the next set would go on in half the time.
Old 11/5/06, 07:46 PM
gpp
GT Member

Old 11/6/06, 04:49 AM
gpp
GT Member

sorry about the extra post but i didnt know if the first one went through or not.
Old 11/6/06, 04:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I'm there with you brother!!! Just spent Saturday and Sunday installing mine...on jack stands. Holy sh*t what a PITA that was. For the life of me I couldn't get the d*amn studs off the heads. Either my socket (5mm) is worn out or the studs were in there tight because they kept wanting to strip. 9 of the 16 had to be taken off by locking two nuts together and then wrenching them off until they were loose enough to use the socket. That took for freaking ever. Concur with the rear drivers side sensor...got under there and was like WTF???? I just extended the stock one and it was fine. The two bolts for the rack and pinion were also a PITA. A power ratchet wouldn't break the loose...but a 1/2 ratchet and a 3lb sledge hammer sure did. Did I mention it was a major PITA. But hey, when I hit WOT and the car starts screaming down the road, I get a big freaking grin on my face and the pleasure of knowing I did it by myself. Would I do it again? Yeah, cause I won't let anyone touch my baby. But d*amn, did I mention it was a PITA?
Old 11/6/06, 04:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by gpp
sorry about the extra post but i didnt know if the first one went through or not.
Or the second, or third....
Old 11/6/06, 05:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
You guys are making me envious........ congrats on your new headers!