GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Amsoil Air filters for CAI

Search this Thread

Old 4/18/07, 09:26 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Amsoil Air filters for CAI

I've been looking into the Amsoil Air filters for the Cold Air Intakes, the EaAU line, and they are looking like the real deal. http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/eaau.aspx
I e-mailed to ask about them, here it is:

I am looking at your EaAu filters for my JLT II Cold Air Intake system for my 2006 Mustang GT. I believe I would need a 4090 filter. Anyway, I have 2 questions. 1) I was wondering how effective at filtering dirt the EaAu filter was verses a standard stock paper panel filter. 2) How much more air flow could I expect over the standard S&B filter on the JLT II? If it is substantial, I may need to retune the engine. Thanks for your time!! Steve

Reply:
Steve,

Thank you for contacting AMSOIL with your concerns.

In response to your inquiry, the EaAU filters filter about 4-5 times more than the cellulose filters, and about 50 times more than the wetted gauze filters. EaAU filters flow about the same amount compared to a similar size S&B filter, so no retuning should be necessary if the filters are similar in size.

Thanks again for the opportunity to respond to your concerns. As always, please feel free to contact us again if we can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,

Heidi Etterman
Technical Services

Old 4/18/07, 09:47 AM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
So the cellulose filters outflow the wetted gauze filters?
Old 4/18/07, 10:50 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by metroplex
So the cellulose filters outflow the wetted gauze filters?
What? What makes you think that? I'm confused...
Old 4/18/07, 11:10 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Amway Oil salesperson
In response to your inquiry, the EaAU filters filter about 4-5 times more than the cellulose filters, and about 50 times more than the wetted gauze filters. EaAU filters flow about the same amount compared to a similar size S&B filter, so no retuning should be necessary if the filters are similar in size.
The way it is written seems like that the EaAU filters flow 5 times more than paper filters, and flow 50 times more than K&N filters.

So let's say our FA-1773 paper filters flow 400 cfm. The EaAU filters would flow 2000 cfm. Since the EaAU filters outflow the K&N filters by 50 times, are they saying the K&N filters only flow 40 cfm?

I think they meant that the EaAU outflows K&N filters by 5 times, and paper filters by 50 times. I still don't buy into their marketing though and believe that you can't have max flow with max filtration. It's one or the other.
Old 4/18/07, 02:23 PM
Team Mustang Source

You are getting flow and filtration mixed up. I asked 2 seperate questions, the first was how much does it filter. She said the EaAU filters 5 times more than cellulose and 50 times more than K&N. It flows about the same as the conical S&B filter that comes on the JLT intake, which would be signifigantly more than the cellulose filter.
Old 4/18/07, 02:26 PM
GTR Member

You're right!

I still don't buy their marketing, but a co-worker that sells Amway Oil products seems to really like the EaAU air filters.
Old 4/19/07, 07:10 AM
GTR Member

One thing to add is that you may want to use the K&N pre-filter wraps just to prevent larger objects from clogging the pleats.
Old 7/5/07, 05:08 AM
Team Mustang Source

I bought the 4090 and installed it yesterday. It looks like a really good quality piece. It looks very similar to the S&B filter I took off my JLT II, except this filter is blue. The construction of the filter looks good, with only a few minor blemishes in the outer wire. It looks like they might have come from shipping as the box was a little mangled.

I do like that it has the instructions for cleaning on the box. You can use shop air at low-med. pressure to blow out all the dust and junk. You can also use a vacuum to suck the junk out. No oil, no cleaning kit necessary.

My old filter was getting pretty dirty since I picked it up used. The car seems to run the same with the new filter, but then again I didn't expect any difference either.
Old 7/5/07, 11:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much was it?
Old 7/5/07, 03:57 PM
Team Mustang Source

It was like $60 I think. I figured I would be spending some $$ anyway getting a cleaning kit and some more oil to put on the existing filter.
Old 7/5/07, 06:32 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by metroplex
One thing to add is that you may want to use the K&N pre-filter wraps just to prevent larger objects from clogging the pleats.

Wouldn't this cut down on the air flow?
Old 7/5/07, 08:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

That is what I was thinking. I don't see a need for that personally. I put on most of my miles on the highway anyway.