GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Aluminum Driveshaft Failure at 70 mph...

Search this Thread

Old 4/10/07, 04:31 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by My05
Yes, actually...
B.A.R. has escalated it to a Fraud investigation and will be paying them a visit soon. The Better Business Bureau has forwarded my findings to Jaws Gear & Axle and he will need to respond by next Monday, and it will go to arbitration shortly after. So the process by the departments is moving now... In the upcoming days I should have more information.

I provided BAR and the BBB with a 68-page binder documenting the incident, the BAR rep said it was the best she had seen in her 15 years there!
That's very good news. They'll likely try to repair the damage when it get to arbitration, but stick to your guns for a new car. Like I said, they'll fight it but their losses would be far worse if you went to court.
Old 4/10/07, 04:50 PM
V6 Member

Well so far the damage is estimated to be around $18,000 plus my additional expenses. I would think insurance would total out the car forthis amount of repair work....
Old 4/10/07, 05:06 PM
KdF
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Outstanding!

Go get `em!
Old 4/10/07, 08:53 PM
Cobra Member

Well so far the damage is estimated to be around $18,000 plus my additional expenses. I would think insurance would total out the car forthis amount of repair work....
The thing that's slightly different hear is that this is damage resulting from someone's negligence, not an accident. That's why I feel you likely won't have any issue getting a settlement above and beyond the actual damage. Regarding totalling the car, everyone is a bit different. I actually saw a brand new Explorer that someone rolled down an embankment during a bonehead parking lot mishap. As you can imagine every body panel (except the hood curiously) was damaged. The entire roof was caved about 3 inches. All the glass shattered. The damage was well in excess of $25k, but they actually opted to fix it because it was new. I personally would never want a truck that had the A,B,C pillars repaired, but there wasn't much the owner could do. Granted, these days you can fix previously unsurmountable damage to just about as new conditions, but you really need to find a good shop to get it done correctly.
Old 4/10/07, 09:08 PM
Cobra Member

Hold out for a new car in exchange if you can. It will never be the same.

No matter what the outcome, an very unfortunate and expensive lesson.

Not all shops are this incompetent and deceptive, but one does need to do some homework before commiting to, or having a impulse for someone modifying their car, no matter how nice, sincere and convincing the service provider is. Even good friend recommendations should be validated (been there done that).

Good luck with your case.
Old 4/10/07, 10:02 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

*sniff* *sniff* do i smell....GT500 LOL good luck man, more than likely the insurance company will more than likely count it as a total loss
Old 4/11/07, 01:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
Not to rain on anyone's parade but I find it unlikely that the repair shop will simply shrug and say, "oh well" and pony up for a new car. They will fight you tooth and nail and this process could take years.

You DO have a lawyer don't you?

The only way you will get anything is if you aggressively pursue the shop and DOCUMENT DOCUMENT DOCUMENT everything! The BAR can and will fine the shop (and could even close it down) but that does nothing for YOU. They aren't in the business of "fighting the good fight" for a consumer and getting you a new car.

IMO you need to use the BAR findings as evidence against them but your insurance company and your attorney should be working on a strategy to get them to fork over $$$ for your car ASAP. I assume you have Comprehensive insurance? The ball should have been rolling already.
Old 4/11/07, 02:52 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by mrkabc
Not to rain on anyone's parade but I find it unlikely that the repair shop will simply shrug and say, "oh well" and pony up for a new car. They will fight you tooth and nail and this process could take years.

You DO have a lawyer don't you?

The only way you will get anything is if you aggressively pursue the shop and DOCUMENT DOCUMENT DOCUMENT everything! The BAR can and will fine the shop (and could even close it down) but that does nothing for YOU. They aren't in the business of "fighting the good fight" for a consumer and getting you a new car.

IMO you need to use the BAR findings as evidence against them but your insurance company and your attorney should be working on a strategy to get them to fork over $$$ for your car ASAP. I assume you have Comprehensive insurance? The ball should have been rolling already.
I'm not sure what would happen in this case with the comprehensive. If it was covered I would expect the insurance company would pony up for the repairs once the investigation is complete, then it's their fight to get compensated. For sure there will be a court battle, but in all likelyhood it would be cheaper for the shop's insurance to settle before it gets to court. There are a lot of "what if" scenarios and they're all bad. I agree that it may be a long fight, but at this point the evidence is pretty solid.
Old 4/11/07, 03:35 PM
V6 Member

Both shops have concluded that it could be nothing other than the driveshaft being the wrong size and the cause of the damage. They explained that the bent output shaft says it all, there really was nothing more for them to note since it was already quite obvious. So hopefully the shop owner recognizes the position he is in sooner than later, but court costs should he lose, should certainly be a concern considering the amount of documentation and the upcoming findings of fraud by BAR. So my fingers are crossed as well....
Old 4/11/07, 05:28 PM
Cobra Member

Both shops have concluded that it could be nothing other than the driveshaft being the wrong size and the cause of the damage. They explained that the bent output shaft says it all, there really was nothing more for them to note since it was already quite obvious. So hopefully the shop owner recognizes the position he is in sooner than later, but court costs should he lose, should certainly be a concern considering the amount of documentation and the upcoming findings of fraud by BAR. So my fingers are crossed as well....
That's exactly why I think you'll do OK and it could be a pretty quick deal. The exact cause if painfully obvious. There isn't really a need for an extensive investigation or failure analysis. Good luck man! Keep us posted.
Old 4/12/07, 03:51 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam2004
Note to self: stick with the stock drive shaft. Is an aluminum one even worth the money?
+1 stick with stock. It's rated for 145 mph by Ford.
Old 4/12/07, 10:47 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by metroplex
+1 stick with stock. It's rated for 145 mph by Ford.
Well there's no point in boycotting the idea. This is obviously an isolated incident. Don't forget the driveshaft in question was actually STEEL not aluminum. They have their benefits- it might be questionable on a street car, but they have benefits none the less.
Old 4/14/07, 04:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I agree, but my experience with aftermarket driveshafts has been less than ideal. Even the high quality "high-speed balanced" driveshafts aren't bulletproof - it may still vibrate. I quickly learned that if it isn't broken, don't fix it (with regards to the stock driveshaft).
Old 4/15/07, 07:45 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by mrkabc
... You DO have a lawyer don't you? ... The BAR can and will fine the shop (and could even close it down) but that does nothing for YOU. They aren't in the business of "fighting the good fight" for a consumer and getting you a new car.
This is solid thinking. I also hate to repeat the obvious - but you need to have an attorney involved in this separate from what BAR is doing. I assume you do, but for some reason if you don't - this is not the place to save money now. In spite of everything, you are a long way from get any money from anyone.

You should also be paid for the time you lost the use of your vehicle.
Old 4/18/07, 07:54 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

bump, any updates
Old 4/18/07, 08:55 PM
V6 Member

At this point BAR is putting together their documentation and will be in contact with him soon regarding the "issues". Once they complete that I will have access to their reports.

The BBB has begun the arbitration process since he failed to respond by Monday. I'm sure he is hesitant to submit more info after I broke down his one page response into a 5-page analysis of his statements.

So the other agencies are working on their process and I'll let them finish their work first...
Old 4/19/07, 09:49 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
We are still pulling for you!

Thanks for the updates, hope you get a good resolution soon.
Old 4/19/07, 12:21 PM
V6 Member

I appreciate it the support from everyone... The shop's fault was so obvious from the moment it happened, and here we are 2 months later in same place... But it is looking good, at this point he deserves whatever comes his way.
Old 4/19/07, 06:31 PM
Cobra Member

Things will definitely go your way, but as you've seen the process does take some time.

BTW - Update your sig! (I just noticed it)
Old 4/20/07, 11:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Looks like you attacked this the right way. I've been following since the start, I hope it goes well!

Quick Reply: Aluminum Driveshaft Failure at 70 mph...