GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Aluminum Driveshaft Failure at 70 mph...

Search this Thread

Old 2/22/07, 07:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You're gonna need a rental! Keep us posted on the results. Looks really ugly!
Old 2/22/07, 04:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Yeah that's nuts.

Reminds me of an episode of MythBusters where they sorta busted this one
Well that's good to know but I don't care, that looks **** dangerous any which way. GET A SAFETY LOOP!
Old 2/22/07, 04:41 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is really really horrible. I mean this poor guy was totally taken for a ride by a bunch of dudes that are willing to risk LIVES to make a few extra bucks. If you're not IN the business of producing high quality, guaranteed MISSION CRITICAL PARTS, then you should NEVER MAKE OR SELL THEM. Seriously, this could've been much much worse, and with a kid in the car.

Not everyone knows to ask "hey, what brand shaft is that?" or "Where were those bushings made??". You simply took advantage of doing something you thought would be worth while as the car was being worked on. These guys should be strung up by their *alls and hung out to dry.

This thread should signal something for all car people. If someone you don't know real well is trying to sell you something big (like driveline parts, steering and suspension pieces etc) don't take them up on it before talking with someone who KNOWS or posting on the board for opinions.

Now, as far as that damage goes, this is going to run some serious money. The trans alone if the entire thing needs to be replaced will probably run $1,800 from Ford. Perhaps Kevin can help you out some. I would of course advise using the stock driveshaft and stock u-joints. If they're somehow going to try to repair the trans, I would definitely insist on a rear tailshaft housing and seal because I'm sure that is no longer true due to the stresses of this mishap. In all honesty, I would work hard on a goal of complete trans replacement. Even if someone goes over that thing with a fine tooth comb, there is a good chance you'll have premature failure with it down the road.

The rear should just be inspected and gone over to be sure the gears are still in good condition etc. Also, you'll want to be sure there are no leaks from the rear housing. If that thing was hitting hard enough to dent the floor pan, I'm sure it could've put minute crack or cracks into the rear housing IF it hit there.

The damage to the actual floor pan etc can probably be corrected fairly easily, and as someone else suggested, I would inspect all the fuel lines, wiring etc to be sure no damage was done there.

Above all, I would not recommend arguing with that shop. If they react negatively toward you and act as if it wasn't their fault (which it is) just leave and seek legal council. I would get them for all their worth.

Good luck.
Old 2/22/07, 04:49 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed
LOL

I wasn't trying to be funny about this, he's in a jam and if he wants to replace it, I'll hook him up because he had this problem. The car has to be safe. Maybe if he buys the driveshaft, I'll give him the safety loop for free.

I feel bad the shop he got it from really screwed him on the installation.

CR
Tillman Speed
I totally understand
Old 2/23/07, 08:32 PM
Cobra R Member

yes I would have ford and there body shop look at it, and explain all too them, so they get the right picture on what is going on, seat floor pan damage, tranny, rear end, etc. As much as you can think of! Good luck man.
Old 2/23/07, 09:04 PM
Cobra Member

Hint hint: 6spd. Trans Upgrade
I hope everything turns out ok and I am glad it was the car that got hurt and not your daughter or you.
Old 2/24/07, 10:45 AM
Team Mustang Source

I'm sure the shop is well covered by disclaimers for the aftermarket shaft in question, as well as with their work orders. Aftermarket parts don't have to meet the same spec as OEM. Sounds like the shop is friendly, but not very worthy, ie: they gave you a car with a serious NVH problem, tried to correct it with the most simple means, then sent it off to someone who perhaps didn't know what they were doing (didn't sound like it went to mark williams eng. or anywhere like that.)

The ujoints were replaced; did they come apart causing the tube failure? This could be something like clip(s) that fell out. The fact that the shop was shaving parts (with what, a file? grinder? Mill?) during the install doesn't sound good.

I wish you the best, most importantly I'm glad nobody was hurt. Something like this could go a lot worse.
Old 2/24/07, 07:32 PM
V6 Member

Thanks for all of the support here, I've limited my posts until the cause is sorted out with the shop. I have two people looking at it again on Monday, I'll post more info then. It's actually worse than expected if you can believe that...
Old 2/25/07, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Lowe!
Does anyone make a DS safety loop that bolts to the stock carrier bearing holes/location??
ROUSH Performance offers A DS saftey loop that uses exisiting hardware> I will be ordering one myself very soon.
Old 2/25/07, 01:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by G.T
Reminds me of an episode of MythBusters where they sorta busted this one
actually i have seen it first hand...a young man lost his life because of it, but i figured the odds of it actually happening are so slim, just a freak accident...back on topic now...did you check axle allignment? might be messed up hope everything comes out good in the end, later all
Old 2/28/07, 06:23 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by My05
Thanks for all of the support here, I've limited my posts until the cause is sorted out with the shop. I have two people looking at it again on Monday, I'll post more info then. It's actually worse than expected if you can believe that...
It's Wed.. What is happening? Please keep us informed.
Old 3/4/07, 03:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Lowe!
Does anyone make a DS safety loop that bolts to the stock carrier bearing holes/location??
Mr.Gasket offers one for the Mustang also http://www.mrgasket.com/newproducts/
Old 3/4/07, 03:37 PM
Bullitt Member

I cant tell by looking at the photos if they replaced the tail shaft in the trans. The reason I ask this is that I was told that the factory drive shaft has a cv joint on the differential and a plate mount on the trans. Therefore there is no "give" in the driveline when the rear suspension moves up and down.(normal ds have a yoke that attatches with a u-joint w/ a splined shaft that moves in and out of the trans to compensate for suspension difflection) On the s197 it has a 2 piece ds with a carrier brg to get the "give" in the driveline. You cant put a solide ds in our cars without compensating for this or you will probably bend the driveshaft making it vibrate and come apart. Just a thought
Old 3/4/07, 04:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Driveshaft Horror Story

Man, I'd be looking for a good lawyer!
Old 3/4/07, 05:04 PM
GT Member

Our thoughts are with you on this. The damage looks awful. Ford will soak you for a new tranny, the floors probably have to be cut and replaced, and other damage is just too much to comprehend. I hope you come out of this okay. Sounds like insurance will have to get involved. It just makes me think about all of the things we do to these Mustangs and are lucky enough not to have these things happen more often.
Old 3/4/07, 06:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Sounds like insurance will have to get involved.
Sure. But who's insurance?? It is a mechanical failure caused by a improper modification. I doubt his normal car ins policy would cover this as it was not an accident.

Are you sure something did not bounce up and strike the underside of the car???? You may want to think hard about that one. hint hint

Anyway, in reality, it looks like the shops insurance would be the liable party assuming they do not try to cop out by saying that this is some type of non-liability racing type of mod or something.
Old 3/5/07, 06:09 AM
Team Mustang Source

Any new developments????
Old 3/18/07, 03:47 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by 2bone123
Any new developments????
BUMP
Old 3/18/07, 03:55 PM
V6 Member

So far I need to limit the info until I finish up certain parts of thr process. Once I'm moving along further I can open up more info here... thanks...
Old 3/18/07, 05:34 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by My05
So far I need to limit the info until I finish up certain parts of thr process. Once I'm moving along further I can open up more info here... thanks...
I smell a lawsuit.

Quick Reply: Aluminum Driveshaft Failure at 70 mph...