GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Alternative / modification of the FR1 Shelby GT kit?

Search this Thread

Old 10/17/06, 12:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Alternative / modification of the FR1 Shelby GT kit?

I looked over some of the reviews of the Shelby GT-H and it appears to get an extra 25 hp and 10 ft-lb from:

90mm CAI kit
Revised tune/calibration file
FRPP mufflers

I was wondering... would it be possible to just buy the 90mm cold air kit WITHOUT the tuner and just use the FRPP Stingers/Borla axle-back mufflers since they are louder, and then program the air transfer function using the SCT Pro Racer Package?

Are there other 90mm cold air kits available that come with the air transfer function or data that I can use to draft up an air transfer function?

I'm not fond of using non-paper filters and I prefer using 87 octane gas.
Old 10/17/06, 01:34 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why not come up with your own, custom version of the FRPP Power Pack or the FRPP Drag Pack? That's what I did (see mods listed in my signature). I preferred the C&L CAI over the FRPP unit, and I run with an 89 octane tune from my SCT XCal2 tuner. In my experience, it produces very nearly the same power as the 93 octane tune did, yet is happy running on mid-grade fuel.

The FRPP ceramic-coated shorty headers, FRPP X-pipe, FRPP/Borla Stingers, and FRPP 3.73 gears for my automatic round out the package. I'm guessing this package is good for 35 hp, as this is basically the same package listed on the FRPP site for the Miller Motorsports cars.

I've been very happy with this package. Very good street manners, GREAT sound, and still get decent highway mileage.
Old 10/17/06, 08:33 PM
Cobra Member

ddd- Just curious why are you running on 89 over 87? Is there really THAT big of a performance gain to justify the extra cost? I just always thought people would either go for it all with the 93 or be conservative with the 87. I use 87 so Im not attacking you at all, Im just curious.
Old 10/18/06, 06:43 AM
V6 Member

Hi SlamMan,

No problem, it's a legit question.

Actually, the tune I have is supposed to be the regular fuel tune. In other words, it's supposed to be able to work OK on 87 octane fuel. In my experience, it will run OK on this grade fuel 90% of the time. However, the other 10% of the time (nailing it hard to get out on a busy highway, driving with the A/C on on a hot summer day, etc.) I will get some detonation on 87 octane. With the 89 octane, I have no problems under any circumstances.

I previously used the 93 octane tune, but switched to the 87-89 octane tune because of a trip we took with our GT where we were unsure as to the availability of 93 octane premium. I decided to stick with the regular grade tune because it provided nearly the same power as the premium tune.

The car still runs great with the regular grade tune. It barks the tires on both the 1-2 shift and the 2-3 shift. Even my tuners (my tune was done at CJ Pony Parts in Harrisburg, PA) are impressed with how well this tune does relative to the 93 octane tune.
Old 10/18/06, 10:01 AM
Legacy TMS Member

What's different about the Steeda cold air kit versus using a 90mm Ford MAF with a K&N cone filter?

Steeda said they "might" work something out with SCT to have Pro Racer Package users get the air transfer function but only if we buy the Steeda CAI kit from Steeda. This is unacceptable because I need the air transfer function before installing the cold air intake kit not having to depend on someone possibly getting the file or data later on. I recall Pro-M and other MAF manufacturers including a flow sheet with their MAFs that can be converted into a data format compatible with Advantage.

If Steeda could include something similar for that MAF/filter combo, it'd be golden!
Old 10/18/06, 11:38 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by ddd1968rt
Hi SlamMan,

No problem, it's a legit question.

Actually, the tune I have is supposed to be the regular fuel tune. In other words, it's supposed to be able to work OK on 87 octane fuel. In my experience, it will run OK on this grade fuel 90% of the time. However, the other 10% of the time (nailing it hard to get out on a busy highway, driving with the A/C on on a hot summer day, etc.) I will get some detonation on 87 octane. With the 89 octane, I have no problems under any circumstances.

I previously used the 93 octane tune, but switched to the 87-89 octane tune because of a trip we took with our GT where we were unsure as to the availability of 93 octane premium. I decided to stick with the regular grade tune because it provided nearly the same power as the premium tune.

The car still runs great with the regular grade tune. It barks the tires on both the 1-2 shift and the 2-3 shift. Even my tuners (my tune was done at CJ Pony Parts in Harrisburg, PA) are impressed with how well this tune does relative to the 93 octane tune.
Gottcha..So is it a 87 tune and you use 89? or Is it a 89 Tune and you use 89.
Old 10/18/06, 11:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

It sounds like he is using an 87 octane tune but it pings on 87 octane gas, so he has to use 89 octane fuel. From this, I'm assuming he is using some tuner's "87 octane" tune and not the factory tune. The factory tune + knock sensors should take care of any minor detonation using 87 octane gas. Since the stangs are designed and built in SE MI where 10% ethanol is mandatory, the stock timing tables *should* work well with almost any 87 octane gas around the country.
Old 10/18/06, 01:24 PM
V6 Member

Metroplex pretty much nailed it. Tecnically, my tune is an 87 octane tune, but I use 89 octane fuel most of the time to avoid those few times where I might get detonation using 87 octane fuel. I figure the extra dime a gallon is pretty cheap insurance.

However, my tune is NOT the same as the factory stock tune. My tune provides much firmer shifts than does the factory tune. As I said in my previous post, my automatic not only barks on the 1-2 shift, but on the 2-3 shift as well.
Old 10/18/06, 01:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Most tuner's tunes will increase the shift line pressure for automatics, but that should not have really have a direct effect on detonation using 87 octane. I suspect the tuner bumped up the spark just a tad on your timing tables or disabled your knock sensors.
Old 10/18/06, 01:47 PM
V6 Member

You're probably right about bumping up the spark a bit. I think that is the most likely reason why, on rare occasions, I'll get a little (and I do mean just a little) detonation. I really don't think my tuner would have disabled the knock sensors.

At any rate, both the car and I are happy with this tune when using 89 octane. It honestly seems to me (and to my tuner) that it runs as good as it did when I was using the 93 octane tune.