GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Alignment issue part 2

Search this Thread

Old 10/11/06, 04:21 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Alignment issue part 2

Quick rundown of whats going on. Basically after installing steeda UL springs and putting new wheels/tires on my car I have a pull to the left that the alignment shop I am going to can't correct. They are saying its probably a radial pull(tires) but because I have the directional michelin sport a/s on the car, I can't move them from right to left side.

I have tried all the tips I have gotten so far from this site and modular fords but no joy.

I have taken all 4 wheels off, made sure the LCA bushings were good, made sure the rear was centered, all the bolts on the front and back were torqued correctly, I even did a mini rotation, moving the front tires to the back and vice versa.

I went back to discount tire and had them rebalance all the tires, and I have been to the alignment shop 3 times now and they insist its within spec.

Here is a scan of the printout they gave me.

http://www.randomevac.com/cobrynne/alignment.pdf

The only odd thing I can see from the printout is the huge difference in the SAI and Included angle from right to left. I also learned from reading that these are not adjustable measurements, that if there is an issue there, it is probably bent suspension parts in the front somewhere. Can anyone confirm this for an '05 by chance? Are those numbers within spec, I can't tell because there is no spec listed.

Is it possible I bent some front suspension parts somehow? I can't imagine I did but I guess its possible.

Any of you suspension gurus throw me a bone by chance?
Old 10/11/06, 06:09 PM
Cobra R Member

Ok, I will take a stab, because it is what I did as well. Most computer alignment does not allow for screw ups, per se.

Things to try:

1. You said you changed the tires and rims, can you put your old tires and rims back on and see how it drives?

2. Vary the road you drive over? speaking of high crown roads (hey a long shot).

3. Did you mess with your steering gear at all?

4. Did you put your springs on and clock them (ie install them correctly? and torque them correctly? speaking of the main nut on the strut here).

5. Take it to a different shop? cannot hurt...I would try that before I started to remove major components.

You MAY have to get a caster camber plate, even though ultra lites are not known to need them.

Not sure if I helped or hurt ya.
Old 10/11/06, 08:04 PM
Cobra Member

Did you measure the tire circumference? If there is much differential side to side on the rear, under power with limited slip the car will pull to the side with the smaller diameter, because the side with the bigger diameter is trying to go faster. Not a common problem, but I have experenced that.

I think in your earlier post you said you have the BMR LCA axle drop kit. How do you know the brackets are correctly aligned on the axle housing? This is not something to assess subjectively.

I am not sure what they mean by SAI? Not positive what they are measuring for included angle ... maybe it has something to do with ackerman effect but would expect that to be symmetrical?

My experience in suspensions set ups is old school ... caster, camber and toe in and the assumption or verification that the rear axle was perpindicular with the vehicle longitudinal axis.
Old 10/11/06, 08:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Looks like You caster on the right is out of spec by a little. Doesn't the steering axis inclination have to do with caster? Might be your problem. See if that spring on the right front is installed correctly.
Old 10/12/06, 08:05 AM
V6 Member

Swap the fronts side to side and see what happens. Yes, I realize you have directional tires but for this test it's not a problem. Just don't leave them like that. Those alinment specs look good.
Old 10/12/06, 09:43 AM
NJ3
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your alignment looks good. Also check to make sure your brake lines didn't get twisted or kinked when the springs were done.
Old 10/12/06, 05:50 PM
GT Member

Looks like its in the tires. I swapped out the stockers and it tracked straight as an arrow. *sigh* This is one battle im not looking forward to, I am sure Discount Tire is gonna fight me tooth and nail on this.

I am going to take my 3 alignment printouts I have with me, anything else I should be prepared for?
Old 10/12/06, 07:22 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow
Looks like its in the tires. I swapped out the stockers and it tracked straight as an arrow. *sigh* This is one battle im not looking forward to, I am sure Discount Tire is gonna fight me tooth and nail on this.

I am going to take my 3 alignment printouts I have with me, anything else I should be prepared for?
Measure and record tire circumference ... all tires at same pressure.
Old 10/15/06, 09:11 PM
Bullitt Member

I would kick the toe in to the max of the recommended specs. Caster is not adjustable in these cars and the Camber changes brought on with lowering kits(as long as it is not slammed)are usually fine. Worked great on mine.