GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

The Air's All Wrong

Search this Thread

Old 2/16/07, 01:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Air's All Wrong

Call me stupid (lord knows it) but wouldn't it be better if the intake pipe was pointed at the grill, rather than into the corner of the frame? I mean, the air comes through the grill, straight in on the engine (except for that radiator in the way). Why route the pipe out of the way of the incoming air? Would seem to me that you'd want that nice, fresh air, pushed straight into the pipe...

Old 2/16/07, 01:41 PM
Former Vendor

There is enough fresh air going behind the headlight and up through the fenderwell on this particular application. The popular air intakes such as C&L and JLT only have one bend, and flow a good amount. This is plenty to make a great deal of N/A power.

The only thing I don't like is the way they mount centrifigal blowers, they have an ugly restrictive S bend off of the blower to the filter. I wish someone would fix that.

But to answer your question, it pulls plenty of cold air.

There are people on this board (don_w) who have full fenderwell air intakes that do pull alot more cold air. Of course, it must be tuned properly.

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 2/16/07, 01:41 PM
Bullitt Member

The Wms is kinda like what your talking about you can check it out here.

http://www.wmsracing.com/wmsweb/05hvi.htm
Old 2/16/07, 01:44 PM
Former Vendor

The WMS is a nice unit, too.
Old 2/16/07, 07:43 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,008 Likes on 1,625 Posts
There's no denying the WMS is a very nice unit..However along with myself ? I'm sure that most are not willing to cut into the factory MAF wiring harness..However if WMS were able to come out with a plug n play adapter which extends the factory harness without cutting into it ? then I'd be all for their intake..
Old 2/16/07, 11:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed
There is enough fresh air going behind the headlight and up through the fenderwell on this particular application. The popular air intakes such as C&L and JLT only have one bend, and flow a good amount. This is plenty to make a great deal of N/A power.
I guess so. It just seems like taking advantage of a forced air ram induction would have its perks. I dunno. I'd have to see numbers on the volume of air entering the grill verses the volume of air the engine "sucks" through the intake. Obviously if the engine is breathing at a higher volume than the air coming in through the grill can replenish, there's no advantage. If however it's the other way around, it would be kinda like a mini blower. Albiet nowhere near a true SC, but probably better than not...if of course things are the other way around.

Cool. Didn't know about that. Not sure how much advantage over my Granatelli it would have though (which also didn't require a tune...and looks a heck of a lot better!).

I wish I could figure out a way to make the false hood scoop on the GT be functional.

Eh, if I ever find a ram hood like the Cal Dream that's not a fiberglass flims that needs ugly pins, I'll just do that...

http://www.mrbodykit.com/bodykits/ho...calihoodfb.jpg
Old 2/17/07, 12:14 AM
Former Vendor

That hood is awesome!
Old 2/17/07, 02:35 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Arrow
Call me stupid (lord knows it) but wouldn't it be better if the intake pipe was pointed at the grill, rather than into the corner of the frame? I mean, the air comes through the grill, straight in on the engine (except for that radiator in the way). Why route the pipe out of the way of the incoming air? Would seem to me that you'd want that nice, fresh air, pushed straight into the pipe...

Hey man, I know nothing about you so don't take this as an insult since I have no idea how much you know about motors...

You wouldn't want to pull it from there because not only does the radiator restrict incoming airflow, but it also make is significantly warmer - that's part of it's function... it disappates the heat from the coolant into the air. Hot air into the intake will drop H.P.'s like crazy.

That said - I've got the WMS with the RamAir Tray / Heat Shield. Cutting the MAF wires is no big deal. Cut, crimp, heatshrink, done. I love my WMS and would install it again in a heartbeat.
Old 2/17/07, 09:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

That hood is awesome!
Yes. Yes it is. The CD hood is stylish and functional. Too bad it only comes in fiberglass, and if you want to go faster than 85mph with it, you have to jab in some hood-pins. Hood pins suck. They totally uglify the beautiful front end. (IMO, of course...)

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
Hey man, I know nothing about you so don't take this as an insult since I have no idea how much you know about motors...
Don't worry, I'm mechanically minded but inexperienced when it comes to working on cars.

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
You wouldn't want to pull it from there because not only does the radiator restrict incoming airflow, but it also make is significantly warmer - that's part of it's function... it disappates the heat from the coolant into the air. Hot air into the intake will drop H.P.'s like crazy.

That said - I've got the WMS with the RamAir Tray / Heat Shield. Cutting the MAF wires is no big deal. Cut, crimp, heatshrink, done. I love my WMS and would install it again in a heartbeat.
I kinda figured that, but I wasn't too specific on where I'd put the intake inlet, either, so shame on me! I figured there'd be a bit of heat around the radiator, but maybe if the inlet was channeled down below, from the lower grill? Or from the faux hood scoop, kinda like the shaker unit?

The objective is to figure out a way to use the forward motion of the car to directly force air into the intake, somewhere along the same lines as an air ram or ram-jet. Placement is key, of course, since you only want to catch fresh, cool air. The other big factor is figuring out the benifit.

I don't know how much air our V8 consumes when running at 3k-RPM, but I'm fairly certain that it's less than the volume of air flowing into the engine compartment through the grill openings. You're probably right, though, there's probably not a lot of forward-facing areas where you could get air from without sucking in some hot air, too. Unless you put the intake slightly forward of anything hot.

I think it's time I started hunting down some CAD files for our cars...
Old 2/18/07, 07:18 AM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Consider the WMS Aarow - it brings air in the grill, directs it above the radiator and into the intake. Road tests show it brings the air in at near the ambiant temperature. With a 2 inch inlet tube, it'll throw as much air into the throttle body as it can handle.
Old 2/18/07, 01:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm a fan of the WMS unit and I will use one if I go the S/C way.

However,
IF I go with the turbo.....Shaker for me

http://www.fangperformance.com/php/i...N_position=5:5

Aarow, FYI all the Fang hoods are functional ram-air systems. Check them out!
Old 2/18/07, 02:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are people on this board (don_w) who have full fenderwell air intakes that do pull alot more cold air. Of course, it must be tuned properly.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/attach...6&d=1170980597
That filter location is the standard for the Kenne Bell supercharger.

Old 2/18/07, 09:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Since it's a mass produced car for all-weather driving I don't think you'd want the pipe picking air from an unprotected area as in front of the grill or down low beneath the rad area. Driving in heavy rainfalls with cars splashing mass amounts of water at your cars frontal area, the air intake could pick up water and ingest it into the engine with disastrous results. Lots of aftermarket air intakes are designed specifically for performance only with no respect for all-weather driving conditions. Best to be careful when choosing an air intake system if your driving year round.
Old 2/18/07, 10:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by don_w
how easy is it to remove the filter for cleaning? Can't tell from that photo.
Old 2/19/07, 12:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Lime GT
Since it's a mass produced car for all-weather driving I don't think you'd want the pipe picking air from an unprotected area as in front of the grill or down low beneath the rad area. Driving in heavy rainfalls with cars splashing mass amounts of water at your cars frontal area, the air intake could pick up water and ingest it into the engine with disastrous results. Lots of aftermarket air intakes are designed specifically for performance only with no respect for all-weather driving conditions. Best to be careful when choosing an air intake system if your driving year round.
Wouldn't the same problem exist for the Shaker and WMS then? Albiet the Shaker has the inlet on top, but a lot of water and other crap flows up over the hood, too. I'm not trying to shoot you down, I'm just curious!
Old 2/19/07, 05:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

Wouldn't the same problem exist for the Shaker and WMS then? Albiet the Shaker has the inlet on top, but a lot of water and other crap flows up over the hood, too. I'm not trying to shoot you down, I'm just curious!
The Shakers have drip rails to pull any moisture that may get in, away. WMS has a ram-air tray that allows arir to come in bfore the radiator, from the leading edge of the hood.
Old 2/19/07, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by nonsensez9
how easy is it to remove the filter for cleaning? Can't tell from that photo.
I just cleaned mine yesterday. It's not hard to get at. I had to jack up the left front corner so I could get myself under the chin spoiler. I'd say it took 5 minutes to remove/replace.

My shaker is actually open on the inside now (directly into the engine bay), and I've had no problems. I haven't had any water problems with the KB filter placement either. And unless I drove through a foot-deep puddle, I doubt I ever will.
Old 2/19/07, 12:56 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by don_w
I never read your sig to see that you were supercharged. That explains that! We've done the Kenne Bell's and I just didn't put the two togeher. From the heatshield post I just assumed you made your own fenderwell intake!
Old 2/19/07, 01:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

how much would the extra length and bends offset the benefits of the cold air. A rule of thumb for home ducting is that a bend has the same effect as adding 10 feet of straight duct. Does this rule apply - more or less - in automotive applications?

And secondly, at highway speeds, how much colder is the air behind the headlite than the air in the typical CAI placement?

thanks
Old 2/19/07, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by nonsensez9
how much would the extra length and bends offset the benefits of the cold air. A rule of thumb for home ducting is that a bend has the same effect as adding 10 feet of straight duct. Does this rule apply - more or less - in automotive applications?

And secondly, at highway speeds, how much colder is the air behind the headlite than the air in the typical CAI placement?

thanks
Are you asking about the KB intake? If so, there is less of a drastic bend in it than a typical CAI intake. A typical CAI (other than the WMS version) has a 90* bend right before the throttle body. The KB has two smaller bends, about 45* each. But, since the positive displacement blower pumps 2.4L of air (2.6L in the newer models), I really don't think the bends in the intake matter once the intake air hits the rotors.

I've never actually measured the temps, but air from outside the engine compartment is most certainly cooler than air under the hood.

Quick Reply: The Air's All Wrong