GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Air Filter Change

Search this Thread

Old 2/2/05, 04:57 PM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well it has been speculated, and now I have my own proof. I did the K&N filter swap and lost my H trap.

It does growl a little more

BUT.... After 2 tanks of gas, my mileage has DROPPED by half a gallon. :notnice:

And there is no perceptable increase in performance. (although I didn't expect one from this simple mod anyway)

So what does that mean? Time to tune it, there is no way in hades my gas milage should DROP after freeing up some air like that.

So the moral of the story is.... no matter what you do, if you do anything that affects air/fuel ratio's you'll need a tune <_<
Old 2/2/05, 05:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

I tried the K&N air filter and it seemed to me that I lost performance - didn't dyno, just SOTP impression.

I eventually eBayed the filter for a loss and put in the stock filter. Perhaps it needs a tune - I don't know.

Steeda also makes a blue replacement filter which looks cool - has anyone tried it?
Old 2/2/05, 05:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Got a e-mail from K&N today saying that their still working on a FIPK for the GT.I will wait for that one,I like the way K&N does the tubing from the TB.
Old 2/2/05, 05:30 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by SixtySix@February 2, 2005, 7:00 PM
Well it has been speculated, and now I have my own proof. I did the K&N filter swap and lost my H trap.

It does growl a little more

BUT.... After 2 tanks of gas, my mileage has DROPPED by half a gallon. :notnice:

And there is no perceptable increase in performance. (although I didn't expect one from this simple mod anyway)

So what does that mean? Time to tune it, there is no way in hades my gas milage should DROP after freeing up some air like that.

So the moral of the story is.... no matter what you do, if you do anything that affects air/fuel ratio's you'll need a tune <_<
Too many variables to account for a .5 decrease in fuel economy. Could be the weather, gas, temperature, etc.
Old 2/2/05, 05:46 PM
V6 Member

Mr. Newton once said - For every action there is an equal and opposition reaction.
Maybe that growl added a little extra weight to your right foot.
Old 2/2/05, 06:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Strange

I gained about .75 mpg with my mods.

Tony

Maybe you want to try my Poor Mans CAI stage one. Take out the stock air box & wire tie the filter to the top & tie the top to the car.

It should make a difference.
Old 2/2/05, 06:27 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by farmerjohn@February 2, 2005, 6:49 PM
Mr. Newton once said - For every action there is an equal and opposition reaction.

Bingo!! That would be my scenario - no offense to you 66 B)
Old 2/2/05, 06:36 PM
FR500 Member

Strange

I gained about .75 mpg with my mods.

Tony

Maybe you want to try my Poor Mans CAI stage one. Take out the stock air box & wire tie the filter to the top & tie the top to the car.

It should make a difference.

Yeah, but you went straight pipes as well as the Po' boys CAI. Nice work around, just not my style. And I'll bet you dollars to donuts that you'd get more out of it with a tune

I'm keeping "Redline Rosie" basically stock for quite awhile. The aftermarket just isn't rich enough in product right now for me to start layin down mad cash in upgrades.

I'm happier than a frog in an Arizona monsoon with the car as it is. Since I did the filter thang, I'll go ahead and get a tuner next, then shut down the performance mods for awhile. The tuner is the first step in the mod process anyway and I'll need it when I do further mods down the road anyway, so I'll bite the bullit and gain a few ponies now and stay that way for a bit.
Old 2/2/05, 06:46 PM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by HOTLAP+February 2, 2005, 6:30 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HOTLAP @ February 2, 2005, 6:30 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-farmerjohn@February 2, 2005, 6:49 PM

Bingo!! That would be my scenario - no offense to you 66 B)
[/b][/quote]

None taken, but in all honesty it hasn't really affected my driving style. I was consistently getting 18.0 - 18.2 combined milage with me getting on it a fair amount of time. Right after the filter swap it has dropped to a max of 17.5 without me getting on it any more than I have been.

Point is, normally you would see about 2-4 mpg jump under similar circumstances and actually feel a difference in throttle response. Not so here, and I can totally relate to Lord British thinking he lost performance, it's a close call judging by SOTP.
Old 2/2/05, 10:12 PM
Bullitt Member

I had the HC trap out for a while and was getting about 17 mpg (i have a heavy foot). I decided to put the trap back in after reading all these posts, since then my milage has dropped down to 15 mpg.

I just got the K&N filter and took the HC back out. Milage is starting to creap back up and it definitely sounds like there is more "growl" to the exhaust.

Oh well, I'll sacrafice 1 or 2 mpg for some extra sound.
Old 2/2/05, 10:22 PM
FR500 Member

Every mod I've done so far has affected gas mileage. After a few hundred miles it creaps back to where it was or goes beyond and gets better. Started out at 15.5mpg. MMR intake, tune, pulleys and experimenting with smaller diameter tires that are much wider, each mod immediately dropped mileage. Dropped diameter in tire size went from 18.4 to 13.5mpg, creaped back to a regular 18.2 after about 150 miles. I have never seen anything like this before.
Old 2/3/05, 06:47 AM
Bullitt Member

I wonder if after time the computer in the vehicle is compensating for the mods automatically but just takes time. Kinda cool if it does..then you don't have to flash it, just wait :-)
Old 2/3/05, 07:00 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Dysan@February 3, 2005, 8:50 AM
I wonder if after time the computer in the vehicle is compensating for the mods automatically but just takes time. Kinda cool if it does..then you don't have to flash it, just wait :-)

Probably a dumb question but would disconnecting the battey casue the computer to compensate. once reconnected?
Old 2/3/05, 07:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Actually, when I was hooking up my amp, I was reading the owners manual and it stated that there is a certain process that you have to go through if the battery is disconnected so that the computer properly resets and rebalances.

You have to start the car with all features turned off, let it idle until it gets to normal temperature, then turn on the A/C full blast for 1 minute. Turn off the A/C and then drive around for about a 10-15 mile trip.

Owners manual says that this will properly rebalance the computer to get the desired A/F ratio.

But I don't think that this will have the same effect as a computer re-flash to enhance performance.
Old 2/3/05, 08:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

i really wish some one at Ford with knowledge of the subject would chime in on this and settle it once and for all.
Old 2/3/05, 08:58 AM
Cobra Member

I wish all our "cheap tricks" worked with this car.... Now we pay for the mods, buy a tuner, do more mods, have to go to the dyno, retune......... AHAHAHAHAHAH!!!! Just give me some bolt on HP! Can't even get a replacement airfilter to help us out any.
Old 2/3/05, 09:03 AM
FR500 Member

You just can't make judgements right away....until things settle out a bit.
Just takes a little patience to see the true affect on the engine.
Old 2/5/05, 09:42 AM
Team Mustang Source

Took out the trap...
Seems a little louder...
Seems to be a little less powerful ?
Old 2/5/05, 09:50 AM
FR500 Member

[quote=wild stray,February 3, 2005, 8:06 AM]
You just can't make judgements right away....until things settle out a bit.
Just takes a little patience to see the true affect on the engine.
Old 2/5/05, 10:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by GTJeff@February 5, 2005, 11:45 AM
Took out the trap...
Seems a little louder...
Seems to be a little less powerful ?
I know mine definitely seems a lot louder after taking out the trap. Almost made me feel that I didn’t need to order the Bassani’s anymore. I can’t say that I felt a power loss though.

Quick Reply: Air Filter Change