GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Air in the ABS Controller

Search this Thread

Old 9/15/07, 07:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Air in the ABS Controller

So I was rushing during a brake fluid flush after my last track day (late at night after a long day...) and what shocked me out of my zone was the sound of slurping coming from the master cylinder reservoir. MOTHER F*&$%** SH*&# F*&% G*! DA*&^% MOTHER F*&%#!!!!

I've since bled the brakes, activated the ABS on wet roads several times, re-bled the brakes, and I can't get a firm pedal. Sometime this weekend I'm going to hit a dirt road and go through multiple ABS activations, forward and backward, and then give it one last shot at a re-bleed.

If this doesn't work, it goes in to the dealer so they can do a power bleed while simultaneously using their orgasmatron gizmo to activate the ABS.

Has anyone successfully been able to clear the system of air without having to resort to the dealer? If so, how?
Old 9/15/07, 09:29 AM
Team Mustang Source

http://bradbarnett.net/service_man/C...t_Bleeding.pdf

http://bradbarnett.net/service_man/C...m_Bleeding.pdf

Try those two links for detailed instructions on bleeding the brake system and it's components.
Old 9/15/07, 01:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by theedge67
http://bradbarnett.net/service_man/C...t_Bleeding.pdf

http://bradbarnett.net/service_man/C...m_Bleeding.pdf

Try those two links for detailed instructions on bleeding the brake system and it's components.
I hadn't seen the first one--thanks! Those rear brake calipers may be part of the issue, particularly if I boiled any fluid...
Old 9/16/07, 05:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

After an afternoon of playing with the brakes...SUCCESS!! Thank you theedege67 for the tip on the component (rear caliper) bleeding. Here's what I did:

1) Even though I activated the ABS many times yesterday in the rain, I still took the car for a spin and did some forward and backward slam-the-brakes stops on a local gravel road to really make sure the ABS was kicking in.

2) I wrapped my Earl's solo-bleeds threads with teflon tape. Although the design of these isn't supposed to let the air back into the caliper, I wasn't taking any chances and having the threads sealed makes monitoring for even the smallest bubbles easier.

3) I took a 3 foot piece of tubing and ran it from the front left caliper into the master cylinder reservoir--basically making a recirculator. Then, with the car running for maximum braking boost, I pumped the brakes like a maniac for a minute or two. I saw a nice bubble burp free after about 8 or 9 pumps, which at least made me feel like I wasn't wasting my time.

4) I bled the rear calipers as the factory service manual instructed. What a pain in the ****.

5) Finally, I did a full bleed of all four corners in the proper order (RR-->LR-->RF-->LF), again with the car running for max brake boost. I read somewhere that having the car running allows a bit more velocity of the fluid in the lines, which can help dislodge some stubborn bubbles.

Buttoned it all back up and took it for a spin. It worked! The brakes are back to that "slightly-better-than-stock-due-to-stainless-lines-but-still-not-as-firm-as-I-like" feeling I am so used to.
Old 9/17/07, 01:21 AM
Team Mustang Source

Glad it helped!! I know bleeding is a pain in the butt, but at least it got figured out. You must have boiled a little fluid in the calipers or something because usually bleeding the lines fixes it and it is fairly easy to do.