GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

AEM Brute Force/Tillmanspeed dynotune

Search this Thread

Old 6/15/08, 08:57 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AEM Brute Force/Tillmanspeed dynotune

Finally got around to getting a CAI/tune. I've got to admit I was skeptical that this was really going to add any noticible difference to the performance, but I have proven wrong by CR and the staff at Tillman's Speed Shop in Aston, PA. I chose the AEM Brute Force intake after much deliberation. It uses the same size MAF housing as the stock airbox, so the potential power gains are not quite as high as an intake using a larger MAF housing, but I really liked the construction and look of the AEM and the fact that it uses a dryflow filter as opposed to one that needs to be reoiled when cleaned. The heat shield is powdercoated black aluminum which I chose to paint Vista Blue to match my car (although I may have it powdercoated blue over the winter for durability reasons). The tubing is polished aluminum.

The dynotune experience itself was really interesting (yes I videotaped it - I'll post up a link below) and CR took the time to answer all of my questions quite thoroughly. I got 3 tunes: 93 street/race that I am running as my regular tune, a 93 emissions (rear O2 sensors turned on) and an 87 tune in case I'm stuck somewhere that doesn't have 93 available.

Most noticible difference is the throttle lag, or lack thereof. Car really takes off now as soon as you hit the gas, as opposed to having that little bog/nosedive thing like it did with factory tune. Mainly feel the power/torque difference above 3000 rpm - it's like a little turbo kicks in. Sonically, slightly more growl coming from my MAC's, but no noticible increase in drone.

All in all, very pleased with how the install/tune turned out, and I would absolutely recommed Tillman's if you are thinking of doing this mod.

Here's the video:

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z...t=a4f7cbd5.pbr

Also attached dyno sheets - both STD and SAE for those who like to compare the 2.
Attached Thumbnails AEM Brute Force/Tillmanspeed dynotune-engine-bay-2-061408.jpg   AEM Brute Force/Tillmanspeed dynotune-engine-bay-061408.jpg   AEM Brute Force/Tillmanspeed dynotune-rusty_std.jpg   AEM Brute Force/Tillmanspeed dynotune-rusty_sae.jpg  
Old 6/16/08, 04:11 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I look like a golfer. Nice video. Glad you're happy. That's the nicest heatshield I've seen. I like it better than our JLT shield. Your car is first class.

CR
Old 6/16/08, 09:29 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed
I look like a golfer. Nice video. Glad you're happy. That's the nicest heatshield I've seen. I like it better than our JLT shield. Your car is first class.

CR
Great numbers Rusty.

Hey CR, you get my PM? Let me know bud.
Old 6/17/08, 02:58 PM
Former Vendor

I'll check on it right now. If you don't hear from me by tomorrow, give me a call and chew me out.

CR
Old 6/17/08, 03:04 PM
Cobra Member

I own the AEM also, bought it more due to the CARB exempt status than looks. I've had it for over 2 years now and have had no problems with it at all quality wise. I think because of the thin aluminum tubing resonating it makes a noticeable growl, as if it lowers the tone of the exhaust. Really like it.
Old 6/17/08, 06:05 PM
GT Member

Man I like the looks of that.Where did you get it and can it be used with a larger MAF housing? I would like to get more HP but with that intake.
Old 6/17/08, 07:52 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got it from Lethal Performance. I knew going into it that I may not get as big of gains as I would with a larger MAF housing (like Steeda, JLT, or C&L Race, for example), but for me the look of the polished aluminum tubing and the ability to paint/powdercoat the heat shield was as/more important than a few extra HP. I do way more car shows than races. That's just me - if you are a hardcore racer this probably isn't the intake for you.
Old 6/18/08, 01:55 PM
Former Vendor

She's purrrty